Planning on getting an iMac this year (2018)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by louieboy74, Jul 4, 2018.

1. louieboy74

louieboy74 New Member

Hi guys, I'm planning on getting an iMac, any suggestion please? any issues?
    I will use this mainly for graphics and layout (Adobe apps).

Macbook pro 13" user here since Dec 2011 – never had issues with MBP actually.

Thanks in advance.

2. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

THere is no better time to get an iMac than now. :)

3. iamlet

iamlet Member

im also planning to replace my 2009 iMac but i'm still waiting for a refreshed 2018 model.

upload_2018-7-4_12-46-0.png

4. dopster00

dopster00 Member

If you're going to use it only for graphics and layout, even the entry-level iMac will suffice. Just upgrade the drive to SSD and you're good to go.

Purchase the RAM upgrade outside and save loads of money.

5. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

iMacs have Fusion Drives... a mix of mechanical drive and SSD - Assuming you will NOT CTO (to get a pure SSD drive) make sure you get the variant with at least 2TB FD. This gives you at least 128GB of real SSD.

Add some RAM since you will be using it for graphics work. I'd say at least 32GB.

Get a better keyboard and mouse. - I use a HHKB and Logitech G903. - this is a gaming mice but I don't really play video games. This makes my work easier. Logitech's MX Master 2S would also be a good option, specially if you're doing a lot of video editing.

Get a Monitor Stand or an iMac VESA adapter and get a monitor arm. - I use an iQunix Spider but I'm planning on going the monitor arm route soon. - at some point you will find the iMac's height to be uncomfortable... and since it's not height adjustable, you'll need these specially if you're working on your computer for long hours.

Buy an APP for it... you're iMac will have that "smudge" - a bruise like dust that forms inside the screen. These usually start on corners of your screen. This is like inevitable. It happens and it will eventually happen, regardless if you smoke or not in front of your computer... Apple says the cause of this is if the user smokes while using his/her iMac... But this is not true... there are demo units in local apple authorized reseller stores which also suffer from this.. you can't smoke inside the store can you? --- others just live with this. I just can't. Having your iMac's screen replaced without APP would cost a lot more.

Avoid using USB hubs. Go wireless (BT or WiFi) for peripherals as much as possible. Otherwise, plug in and out as needed.

tonedeaf, Sunil_K, gracegal and 2 others like this.
  6. louieboy74

louieboy74 New Member

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate all your inputs... any store to recommend? and offer discounts? :)

7. cybersniper

One of our own of course! :) - Charlie - i.e. Digital Hub / Walker, Beyond the Box.

He's an authorized reseller. They used to give discounts to MUGers but not sure these days (AFAIK, he's the only one who does/did this). After sales is good too based on my personal experience.

And for what it's worth, no other store/AAR comes close to what he has contributed to this community. He deserves our business.

Sunil_K and jayparalejas like this.
  8. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

+1 on Beyond the Box by Charlie. You can order a custom spec iMac from them too!

louieboy74 likes this.
  9. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Buy the one with Fusion Drive. Bought the 21inch base model Retina 4K display a few months back. Big mistake. It's a huge disappointment. It's uber slow. The slowest Mac I've ever used. It's speed reminds me of those old netbooks running Windows 7.

louieboy74 and cybersniper like this.
  10. mark.rupido

mark.rupido Member

APP? also, are there specific brands of RAM that are compatible or any brand of RAM would do. TIA

11. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

APP stands for AppleCare Protection Plan. By signing-up for one, which you can do anytime within the 1 year standard warrant of your Mac, you can further extend your warranty for an additional 2 years.

As for RAM, generally speaking, any brand will do, for as long as they meet the required specs. However, better go for that of a well-know brand, such as these ones made by Kingston.

12. mark.rupido

mark.rupido Member

Thank you for the explanation sir! Am currently investing on getting both an Imac and MBP hence the replies in the different topics. Your replies have at least given clarity if I'll be pushing through with the purchases. (y)

13. cybersniper

^Yeah make sure you check the specs of your stock RAM sticks (i.e. clock, timings etc) for compatibility - Not to look down on Kingston, but on RAMs for my Macs, I'd go for Crucial or OWC... if both not available, G.Skill would be my "pwede na" choice :)

14. louieboy74

louieboy74 New Member

Many thanks guys! I appreciate all your responses. :)

15. cybersniper

sorry, this maybe too late, but for those of you planning to buy an iMac and an MBP at the same time, might as well forget about the iMac.

Get the best spec'd MBP you can afford and buy larger monitor (or two) - this would give you a "convertible" set up. Hook up your MBP whenever you wanna go desktop, and just unplug it when you wanna go mobile.

porkypork likes this.
  16. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

This is what I do, are you on this setup? May I know what dock/stand you use for your MBP?

17. cybersniper

^No. I have an iMac as my daily driver/main workstation (I work at home)... and an MBA for travelling (which was given as a gift).

Stand? - over the years, still nothing beats the Rain Design M-Stand IMO..

18. theodred

theodred Member

I have an iMac 5K that boots up (chimes) but displays nothing. Blank screen. I can hear the hard drive spinning and my Bluetooth keyboard connects. This machine is only around 3 years old! happened just this morning when I tried to wake it up.

19. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

I think it's looking for a start up disk. Had that happen to me years ago. You have to reinstall the OS.

20. wuyckie

wuyckie Member

Unplug the wire that connect to imac-wait for 10seconds-plug it back.. personal experience.