Pimp/Max Out my iBook G4

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by macky2green, Dec 29, 2009.

1. macky2green

macky2green Member

Hello, fellow MUGgers! Good day. :)

After owning and disposing off 2 MacBooks already, I'm still so much in love with my first Mac, my iBook G4. Of course, I'm still looking forward to get a new Mac (either MacBook/MacBook Pro) by 2010, but that will come later. So while I'm still stuck with my beloved iBook G4, I would like to know...

What is the maximum upgrade I could go with my iBook G4?

This was the last produced top-of-the-line iBook Apple has produced before changing to the MacBook line. And the specifications of my iBook (as written in my signature below) are:

- white
    - 14"
    - 1.42GHz
    - 512MB RAM (what's the maximum I can go with this?)
    - 60GB HD (what's the maximum I can go with this?)

- SD
    - AirPort Extreme
    - BT
    - Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (what's the maximum I can go with this?)

And since I'll be going for an upgrade anyway, kindly help me canvass the prices of each upgrade as well just so I would have an idea.

Lastly, how much will a new battery and charger cost each? Please also include the amount (estimate) of the SuperDrive repair.

Thank you so much everyone.

Happy Holidays. :)

#1 macky2green, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken
    1. you can still add a 1 gig of RAM
    2. Get the largest ide HDD for your laptop
    3. since it is 1.42ghz, leopard is still possible
    4. for the SD try to contact mark_17 if he has a replacement but an alternative is just get and external optical drive

5. All in all if you add your cost, consider getting a second hand intel mac.

3. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

It keep that on 10.4 fully updated. It will be a bit slow on 10.5. The upgrades really depend on what you want to do with it. In my opinion, keep it as is and buy a machine than can do everything else when you are up to it.

4. andreavenge

andreavenge New Member

I want to upgrade my iBook too! But mine is an old 2003 model! I don't have the specs on hand, so I'll grab the one from Wikipedia:
    • 12 in or 14 in active-matrix TFT display (1024×768 resolution)
    • G4 800/933 MHz/1 GHz
    • 256 MB RAM
    • 30/40/60 GB hard disk
    • Slot-load combo drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM)
    • USB 2.0, FireWire 400, video out, Ethernet 10/100
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11g, optional)
    • Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther"
    - can I go to a maximum 1GB upgrade?
    - I'm informed that I can only upgrade to Tiger (yes my iBook is THAT old). So no Leopard?
    - We're using a Sun Broadband USB stick modem for our desktop PC. If we upgrade to Tiger, can we use it/would it be compatible?
    - is there a specific external HDD for Macs, or can I use any? I plan to transfer files from Mac to PC and vice versa. My brother encountered problems with this on a friend's Powerbook.
    - any other recommendations?

Thanks!

5. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

I agree. For the amount of money you'll and the degree of difficulty in upgrading the iBook G4, it hardly seems worth it. Don't get me wrong, I love this machine and still have two of them running with my kids. But I am just waiting for them to stop working before I replace them with a macbook. With the prices coming down, I can't justify any repairs or upgrades.

6. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@macky2green, according to Mactracker, your iBook has 512MB on-board and you can install a 1GB PC-2700 DDR333 200-pin SO-DIMM in the single available RAM slot. You can install any available 2.5" IDE hd, I think the largest available is 120GB. Try getting in touch with "madmax168", he might be able to get you those older components. AFAIK, you should be able to install Leopard on that (not Snow Leopard), just do it after you upgrade your RAM to 1.5GB.

@andreavenge, you can go a maximum of 1.12GB on that. You have 128MB on-board and you can install up to a 1GB PC-2100 DDR266 200-pin SO-DIMM (PC-2700 supported; however it will run at only 266 MHz) in the single available RAM slot. You'll need to take out the 128MB SO-DIMM that's occupying that slot now.

Your iBook G4 will run Leopard (again, not Snow Leopard). I would say that performance will be acceptable, after you upgrade to 1.12GB. There are no Mac-specific hard disks, you can use any hard drive available. If you'll be using it with your PC and your Mac, format it as FAT32 (MS-DOS), you can use OS X's Disk Utility to erase and format the drive. If you format it using NTFS (default for Windows XP and later), the drive will be read-only to your Mac (unless you install 3rd-party software that will let you write to NTFS disks).

7. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Guys, id would like to add that it will be very hard to find SoDIMMS and high capacity non-SATA drives in the market nowadays.

8. andreavenge

andreavenge New Member

Thanks @PatrickGaerlan! Will be asking stores about memory upgrades ASAP! :D

9. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Exactly. And if you find some, they can be expensive (RAM). If suppliers like madmax168 don't have them locally, online stores might have them.

10. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

That's quite true. I had planned to upgrade the RAM on the iBook G4 my daughter had but could never find the right RAM.

And the RAM for the newer Macbook is so much cheaper.

11. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

There was a vendor here in Philmug that sold ram for the iBook. He had lots. Prob was his price wasn't realistic. The iBook became old before he could sell all. I am sure he still has some. Do a search and hope you find him. But it won't be cheap. I chanced upon my ram at tipid pc.

12. macky2green

macky2green Member

@Macmon
    Thank you very much, Sir. Took note of all your 5 points, especially the last one. ;) Why haven't I ever thought of that?!

@Mad Mac
    Thanks also for your feedback, Sir. I'll be considering those.

@PatrickGaerlan
    Thank you so much, Sir! :) I was worried about incompatibility issues 'til I read the replies to this thread. I might look around here in Doha since I'd be upgrading these parts here. Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is already a big leap from 10.4 Tiger, and I'm looking forward to that.

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

While 10.5 will work with the iBook, 10.4 is noticeably quicker. I personally will keep it with a fully updated 10.4. But if you don't mind waiting between apps then go ahead with 10.5.

14. andreavenge

andreavenge New Member

Hi guys, just to clear it up: I have the lowest specs in the iBook G4 2003 range: that means 800MHz only, 30GB. Still OK with Leopard and 1GB?

#14 andreavenge, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  15. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Leopard requires a 867MHz G4 processor.

16. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

It crawled on my 1.2ghz iBook with 1gig ram. While it was usable, it was visibly slower than 10.4. Keep it at 10.4. It will be more enjoyable.

17. andreavenge

andreavenge New Member

@Mad Mac: Thanks for the comment. Most people here recommend Tiger too. But I was concerned that some USB stick modems and external hard drives will not be compatible.

18. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

I have an even older ibook g3 with lower specs than yours on tiger and it accepts all sorts of usb sticks and external hds. No worries there.

19. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Yup usb hasn't really changed much. In fact, newer OS X tend to remove some non Apple drivers. 10.4 is more overkill.

20. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

I upgraded my 867MHz 12" PowerBook with 1.12GB RAM to Leopard from Tiger, and there were times when it would display the beachball for quite a while. Performance did improve noticeably after I did a clean install of Leopard and only installed the apps that were actually needed. My most demanding apps were iPhoto, Pixelmator, and iMovie HD (only edited SD videos though) -- they all performed well enough. I decided to stick with Leopard vs. downgrading back to Tiger because we have a multi-home network and I found that Leopard's networking was much more robust and reliable than Tiger's (same reason I'm very happy with Snow Leopard).

@Macky2Green, I guess you can check if there are any Leopard-specific features that you would like to have. If not, probably better to stick with Tiger.

@andreavenge, as marvinp pointed out, you don't really have a choice but to stick with Tiger. Given that you're using an 800MHz G4, that's probably a good thing, you'll be happier :)