Physical home button

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by theadvocate_ivan, May 22, 2018.

1. theadvocate_ivan

Hi guys! Of course we really can't say where Apple is headed for the new iPhone. I love the physical home button and to be quite frank, the lack of touch ID feature on the iPhone X is a deterrent for me. Will iPhone 8 be the last? Are we gonna see a virtual home button? I've seen several android phones with virtual home button, I hope Apple do consider this.

What are your thoughts?

2. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't miss it on the X.
    I'm annoyed that my iPad still has one.
    I was so used to the home button since the first iPhone but it took me minutes to get used to not having one.

We all have our preferences.

hitme64 likes this.
  3. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

same here. after owning the X for 6 months, it's annoying that i still have to physically push a button on my impractically large ipad. although on the other hand, the ipad still benefits from the button because it's laying flat on a table a lot of times

hitme64 likes this.
  4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...I don’t miss the home button. I expect Apple to ditch the home button on future iPads, in favor of Face ID. It means thinner bezel and all screen display (with the notch). Smaller frame but not smaller display.

Concept:

hitme64, bacchus_3 and SE20 like this.
  5. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

Not gonna happen at least not in the near future. Even android is moving towards gestures.

hitme64 likes this.
  6. mree

mree Well-Known Member

Same here. Not missing it at all. I’m so glad they got rid of it. What I especially love with the FaceID is when I get a text, I just look at my phone and immediately I see a preview of the message. So convenient. I don’t even have to hold the phone, so it stays docked while I read.

The TouchID was good, until FaceID. I think Apple will still keep the TouchID for buget iPhones in the future.

hitme64 likes this.
  7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I honestly find it strange that the 2018 iPad still has a physical home button... I was expecting it to have something similar to the iPhone 7!

I personally prefer gestures too... WebOS and Blackberry did it first, but the hardware wasn't ready for it.

Only issue I have against gestures is I can't imagine teaching my mom to use it... It took me 2 years to get rid of her old Nokia... I wonder how long will it take for her to learn the gestures of the upcoming phones.

hitme64 and raypin like this.
  8. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Home Button is gone, Recent Apps is gone (for Android)

I hope Samsung realizes that the future is not Bixby... They should focus on "smart scroll" - would love to move the cursor by just using my eyes :)

hitme64 likes this.
  9. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I’d rather wink on a screen to open it than push something smaller than a fingernail...

Better yet retinal and face recognition are now standard fare in mil-spec digital comm systems (so says the Pentagon) so you actually are aware where we’re heading...

raypin and bacchus_3 like this.