Photobucket kicks the bucket

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Godfather, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Any other photobucket users around here?

A few days ago, Photobucket committed business suicide by suddenly charging US$400 for third-party posting, something that was free since 2003 and free on other photo uploading sites.

Photobucket accused of blackmail after quietly requiring users to pay $400 a year to hotlink

It's clear extortion on a monumental scale.

How Photobucket is shaking down its users

Of course they are within their rights to do this, but from a PR standpoint for a company, this is equivalent to standing in the middle of a crowd, pulling down your pants and shitting yourself - on purpose. How or why anyone in their company would think that this is the way to make money is beyond me. Heck, it defies logic so much, it would be beyond Stephen Hawking.

Plus now, millions (perhaps billions) of ads are affected and spread out throughout the internets, with people's pics replaced with this :

[​IMG]

Amazon and eBay images broken by Photobucket's 'ransom demand'
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668

It's like they advertised a trillion times that they are extorting people. This is going to be a textbook example of how ABSOLUTELY NOT to do business for years to come.

First, they should have just given people ample warning, and not buried it in a rambling and vague Terms and Conditions update four days before implementing their new "policy."

Second, they should have chosen to charge less than an arm and a leg for a service that is still widely free and common on the internet.

Rest in peace, Photo-phuck-et.

On second thought, no, I hope you burn in hell.

#1 Godfather, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Sunil_K, greta87 and ronjet like this.
  2. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow $400!!!!!!!.

Godfather likes this.
  3. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

hmmm. all of my pic posts in philmug are via photobucket. I wonder how photo responses to all those comments like, "Pictures or it never happened!" would look like after this shakedown.. ha ha

ronjet, Sunil_K, raypin and 1 other person like this.
  4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..been using Photobucket for many years now but at usd 400.00 a year, lol! F.U.....Farewell to this User.

ronjet, Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  5. theadvocate_ivan

My post with picture hosted by photobucket are still up. But if they de decide to push through with the fee, goodbye then.

6. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmmm... After reading this post, I quickly checked my Photobucket account and it is still active... Also checked my ads on TipidPC where I use photobucket to post photos, and the photos are still good and shown. I'm just using their free account - one I've had for a few years.

7. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Some of my hosted pics are up, but most of them are down. I guess with such a huge inventory of photos, burning bridges will take some time.

8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..migrating to imgur.

#8 raypin, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  9. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

I've stopped using Photobucket years ago. Hope imgur doesn't do this someday