PhilMug Runners' Club?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by cyrianagujo, Aug 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

Hi guys! I've recently taken up running regularly (after starting and stopping countless times) and I'm just wondering if there's an existing running club here in PhilMug? I've ran (no pun intended) across a few running groups and often, their members are chill and cool cats. Might be a good idea to have one in PhilMug right? :)

PinkHunny and hitme64 like this.
  2. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

I no longer post my regular runs here in the forum but i'm still active in running. My everyday routine is a short 11k run around BGC.

cyrianagujo and hitme64 like this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I used to run, but now I just walk...and sleep a lot...and yes, runners are cool cats and fat blokes :D

4. triggerbokie

triggerbokie Member

how do you make your running habit 'sticky'?

5. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

just curious, what do you mean chill or cool cats? :)
    i also used to run but stopped a few months ago.. got an apple watch to motivate me but...

6. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    I agree! I used to run, too, but now I'm down to short walks, and sitting on the couch with my legs up on the table while watching Netflix.

Need new running shoes to motivate me (yeah, right...)...

hitme64 likes this.
  7. mree

mree Well-Known Member

I bought a new pair of running shoes and used it once. Man I am as lazy as a fat cat. LOL. The truth is, I didn't like it because there are just too many cars on the road, at least where I live. I don't like the idea either of driving someplace else just so I can run. I also don't like threadmills. Oh gosh, I am thinking of more excuses now not to run. Hahaha.

Nevertheless, I like the idea of people having a Runners group here. Maybe, just maybe, it'll motivate me to get up and use my new pair.

hitme64 likes this.
  8. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Started running in my 20's. Stopped in my mid-40's due to osteoarthritis in my left knee. Was pretty much limited to either swimming or elliptical machine in gyms. Both of which couldn't fill the need of being out doing a run.

Then, I saw an article about 3 years ago on stand-up bikes. These are bikes which mimic the running motion without the impact on the knees & give a more intense workout than just biking. Started with an ElliptiGo (http://www.elliptigo.com/) & have now moved on to a Bionic Runner bike (https://run4.com/).

The bikes' websites are included for those interested. Gotta warn you guys that these bikes are not cheap. But, what's the price of good health?

9. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

Well, generally they are just cool people to be around with (most of them anyway). I guess because it takes a special kind of discipline to be able to run regularly, so there's immediate respect already.

10. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

I just used to run like once a month too, for the same reasons as yours, haha. But now, since I'm from the south, I drive all the way to Filinvest on weekends to run. They close down a number of streets for runners and bikers every Sunday. You might like it there! That's the reason i actually started this thread, I'm also assuming that we'd be able to encourage more people to run if we do it as a group (within a group)

11. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

Have you tried a running coach? I used to have pain in my knees too, then I researched a bit and I found out it's because of my running form and foot strike. I'm no expert but when I tweaked my form, the pain in my knees disappeared. It's about transferring the impact away from your knees, that is if you don't have any structural defects to begin with.

VicB likes this.
  12. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

I've always been athletic when I was young, but suffered the same "tamaditis" as you, haha. But the constant hospital trips of my mom prompted me to take fitness seriously again. I'd rather invest in shiny new shoes and fitness gear and healthy food, than pay up for five-star hospital suites and designer meds later on :)

ronjet and VicB like this.
  13. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

I think we gotta find our own motivation, coz it's going to be different for each person. Before, i wanted to run and workout just to look good and be buff for the girls lol. But I found out that isn't deep enough to get me through those times when I'm just lazy as sh*t. Now, what motivates me is the thought of being mobile and fit when I grow old. I want to be able to do the things I love (sports, travelling, etc.) for as long as I can without anyone needing to push me in a wheelchair or give me medicines. The key I guess is to find that thing that's deep enough so that you'll have no choice but to keep doing what needs to be done.

14. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for the tip, @cyrian!

Unfortunately, there is a structural defect in my knee area (besides the structural defect in my brain :D). Had a meniscus tear in my left knee during my 20's. Given the state of the medical technology then (1970's), it resulted in my osteoarthritis 30 years later. Still, the standup bikes allow me to replicate the joy of running & getting outdoors.

15. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

With an updated Nike+ app, I am going back to running now and hopefully achieve that elusive 42 after 4 yrs of trying. I am so spoiled that I need an app to motivate me to run. The problem with the old version of the app is that I can't move or adjust the schedule of each run inside the training plan. I have a hectic/moveable work schedule so everytime I, say, do a double-shift it just ruins the training plan.

With the new app, I am now able to make adjustments. But we'll see... I'm still on my 3rd run of 60 and 7 kms out of 510.

cyrianagujo likes this.
  16. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

I use the same app. When I started out, I was on the same boat. I didn't enjoy running coz I just measured it by how long I was running using a regular watch. With the app, I can now track my progress. As I said in the previous post, we have our own ways of motivating ourselves, and if yours happens to be an app, that ain't being spoiled at all :)

I guess it's safe to say that after a few posts, there really isn't a running club here. I'd be quite interested if a seasoned runner shared his/her experiences, or maybe suggest if it's indeed a good idea to organize a running club? :)

17. zero.

zero. Active Member

Go with anything that motivates you to run, i.e. scenic views, to clear your head, musing over a big decision, personal fitness, PR's.. anything. As long as you enjoy it, and avoid burnout.

The Nike app is a good start to track your progess. But if you want more scientific results, invest in a GPS watch. (I use a Garmin FR220).

If you're really into running, personal best times are good motivators. I used to run a 10k in over an hour, but with determinationa and my Garmin, I was able to achieve a PB of 46 minutes for the 10k.
    Same thing with my half marathon PB, from 2 hours and 32 minutes on my first 21k (condura skyway in 2011), I achieved a half marathon PB of 1hour 48 minutes.

Now I run for personal fitness, join a few races every now and then. Career and business commitments have held me back in focusing for breaking my PB's, and I hope to break them in the near future.

cyrianagujo likes this.
  18. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

I plan on getting the new Apple Watch Nike+. I've been waiting for this for so long. I started running with an iPod Touch + Nike sensor on the shoes. Then switched to iPhone when the Nike+ Running app enabled GPS tracking. After a while, I wanted to run without the distraction of a phone or music so I got the Nike Sportswatch GPS which only lasted for about 2 yrs. I've been back on the iPhone (6s this time... even larger than my old 4s) now and I hate to be carrying this all the time.

I also just run for fitness. Fun runs here and there since it's the only time and place I can do long runs. I don't really do a lot of marathons but it's just a milestone I'd like to be able to achieve.

zero. likes this.
  19. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

All it takes is self discipline. If you know how to manage discipline then running regularly will be a chicken for you. hehe

20. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Try barefoot. It'll motivate you more! :D