Philmug Pilots (Multirotors, Quadcopters, Drones Thread)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Ollirep, Jul 19, 2015.

1. P-M-J

P-M-J Member

Other than getting a license and permit from CAAP, are there additional permits needed to operate on certain public locations in Makati, Manila, Pasig, and QC?
    How and where to get it?

2. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

Is it really that necessary to get that permit?

3. P-M-J

P-M-J Member

Not sure but I want to know.

4. sillimanian

sillimanian Member

Since I intend to purchase a drone, I read the CAAP regulations on the matter. I'm not in the Aviation Law practice but the CAAP rules are quite clear.

Under CAAP Memorandum Circular 29-15 (Series of 2015), as amended, all remote piloted aircraft (drones) used for COMMERCIAL operations, REGARDLESS OF WEIGHT, are required to be REGISTERED with CAAP. If used for NON-COMMERCIAL purposes, only LARGE drones are required to be registered.

The said CAAP Circular defines LARGE drones as those weighing 7 kilos or more.

This means that drones like the DJI Mavic Pro, which weighs 1.64 lbs (743 g) (including gimbal cover), do not need to be registered with CAAP if used for NON-COMMERCIAL purposes.

Further, a CONTROLLER CERTIFICATE is required to operate drones for COMMERCIAL purposes REGARDLESS OF WEIGHT. The same certificate is required to operate drones for NON-COMMERCIAL purposes ONLY if:

1. The drone to be operated is LARGE (meaning 7 kilos or more) OR
    2. The drone is to be operated in controlled or prohibited airspace.

This means that a person who operates a small drone like the DJI Mavic Pro for NON-COMMERCIAL purposes in airspace that is not controlled or prohibited is not required to obtain a Controller Certificate.

Also, a drone can not be operated without CAAP approval under the following conditions:

1. 400 feet above ground level;
    2.. 10 kilometers radius from Aerodome Reference Point;
    3. Over a populated area;
    4. Night time;

Non-commercial operation of drones is limited to VLOS or Visual Line of Sight.

#104 sillimanian, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    ronjet, Theus, mongkee and 2 others like this.
  5. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

AFAIK if you are planning to do business using your drone you'll need this permits.

6. jillsingian

jillsingian Active Member

Hi Sir Natsgo apart from UP? Are there any other drone friendly areas? Specifically in the Pasig / Ortigas Center area? Thanks in advance

7. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

only business I intend to do with my cheapo drone is monkey business :ROFLMAO:

8. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

If I'm not mistaken, 10km radius from NAIA covers pretty much everywhere like Pasay, Makati, Paranaque and Las Pinas.

So is this the reason why we don't see much people flying their drones in big grassy places like Luneta/Quirino Grandstand, Blue Baywalk, etc.?

I recently purchased a Syma drone on Lazada and good thing I decided to browse through this particular thread

Hope you experienced flyers out there can share more drone-friendly places. TIA!

9. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm no longer sure but I think I remember our instructor in RPAS class mentioning Rizal Park being a no-fly zone. I didn't gave it much thought at the time but if I could hazard a guess, the proximity between Luneta and the US Embassy may have something to do with it. That and the fact that there are oftentimes a lot of people in the park that can make any type of RPA flights risky. Except maybe for micro-drones.

Get an app such as Hover or UAV Forecast. I like the UAV Forecast for its Go or No-Go, no frills status of whether it's safe to fly or not at a given time and location. I like Hover for their comprehensive map of No-Fly Zones... not just limited to DJI-defined NFZs.

UAV Forecast:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hover:
    [​IMG]

ronjet and mongkee like this.
  10. pscolboy

pscolboy Member

Guys a question for any DJI drone owners. If you purchase a drone abroad like HK or SG, will DJI PH honor the warranty?

11. oj88

http://www.dji.com/service/policy - Click on "Part III – Types of After-sales Service"

12. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Anybody here own a Yuneec Breeze?

13. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

DJI will be announcing a new mini drone tomorrow.

Hope it's affordableü

14. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Here’s the teaser for the mini-drone DJI is announcing this week | Tech Crunch

I'm hoping for something smaller than the Mavic...

First thing my wife told me when I showed her the Mavic was "how do you plan to carry that for our travel?"

If this is less than $500, I can honestly imagine it inside my Christmas stocking :)

#114 ice, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    MharDelaCruz, ronjet and suavecito like this.
  15. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

here we go!

live stream:

third-party review:

i swore off any more purchases, but that minimalism vow will have to wait. :)

suavecito likes this.
  16. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

Took the plunge and ordered one. Too bad fly more combo was out of stock when I ordered this morning.

rbenzon likes this.
  17. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I saw some quick hands-on of the Spark this morning...

Is it just me or the color of the camera is a bit saturated...

18. oj88

Not for me. I think the 2-axis gimbal is going to be a hindrance as my use case has more to do with cinematic work. Though it got me for its tiny size.

We'll see...

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

@bluedragonph, where did you order? there was combo stock last night and this morning—from the dji official online store.

if i had to do cinematic work, i'd buy a drone that can carry a blackmagic micro cinema camera. even if the spark were 3-axis, the camera wouldn't pass for "cinematic".

for consumer use, size and price rule.

20. oj88

I am not going to argue. I used the term quite loosely. Though, with the right software and planning, you can do smooth pans with a 3-axis gimbal. It's not as versatile as an Inspire (with dual remotes) or as 'epic' as a Red Epic + Movi M15 + DJI M600 combo. But I can't afford any of those. I just go by what I have but still has enough of the bells for it to do the job reasonably well. The Spark is not for MY particular use case. But on a vacation, Spark wins.

Even the Mavic, with its camera mounted forward, suffers quite a bit from parallax movement when pitching up or down, more than the Phantom series does (with their cameras closer to the aircraft center axis). I know it's nit-picking.. just saying.