Philmug Pilots (Multirotors, Quadcopters, Drones Thread)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Ollirep, Jul 19, 2015.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

First off... Happy International Drone Day (yes, Google it!)

My prop balancer arrived in the mail yesterday and I only had time to play with it now on a weekend. Nothing much can be said about the Du-Bro prop balancer other than it is superb! It's true what they say about it being the best tool for the job.

I bought this, along with extra plastic props from DJI. I also have CF ones from a brand called 'RCTIMER' (just out of curiosity, as they were cheap), which I got from a hobby shop in Ortigas, and which shall remain nameless.

I wanted to be serious at reducing my P3S' vibration... NOT that it's a problem now, but as an engineer, I just thought I'd take a look at how much out-of-balanced, if any, my existing DJI props were.

To my surprise, the DJI props were pretty balanced as it is. No further modifications were needed. I flew the aircraft just above head level and touched the landing gear. Not much vibration was going on and it only felt more like a hum.

On the other hand, the 'RCTIMER' props were terrible. I tried flying them PRIOR to balancing and I can definitely see the bird struggling. The vibration is definitely affecting the IMU, which of course affects the stability of the aircraft. If I touch the landing gear mid-flight, it felt like the aircraft was about to break apart. After balancing them however, the hand-on-the-landing-gear test flight came very close, if not the same, to how the DJI props performed. But as you can see in the picture, I only got to tame these props after adding some strips of electrician's tape to all of them.

In summary: Only buy genuine DJI props. The quality and value is well worth the extra cost.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

Sir, when flying ba need mo pa ng clearance or kahit ano para di sitahin sa Coron?

3. zneb

zneb New Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm wondering besides to Drones Ph Academy, is there any other group conducting the basic flight course? I would appreciate for your info.

4. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

Unboxed my Phantom 4 earlier today and did a quick test flight. Haven't had time to read the manual thoroughly yet but I have a quick question.... During flight, I have 2 red lights and 2 green lights under the motors. What does that mean?

5. oj88

I urge you to read the manual. :)

With everything normal, the two red LEDs indicates the front or forward part of the aircraft. Conversely, the two green LEDs indicated the back or aft of the aircraft. The back LEDs can show different aircraft status and warnings as it can flash green, yellow or red.

6. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

Thanks bro. I will read it this weekend. Just wanted some comfort level that the two red lights are not indicative of any fatal error. I played around for about 20 minutes and it was fun! Unfortunately, I had to pack up for a meeting. I promise I will read the manual this weekend :)

7. vtf

vtf Active Member

Will my 2011 mbp play videos captured in 4k? Im considering a phantom 3 professional for business. While i will not be involved in editing, i would like to hone my skills by viewing first what was captured before i offer my services

8. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

I don't know about the others but I know for a fact that DPHA is legit. They also have regular meetings with CAAP officials.

9. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Did the RC Timer props have metal hubs? You should not use props with metal hubs on the P3/P4 units since they have "active braking" - simply put, the motors will actively lower rpm when you throttle down. Those who have electric surface RC will be familiar with this. Metal hubs will not have enough friction for them to hold on to the motor shaft and may disengage mid-air.

10. oj88

I don't use them. I am well aware of the hub difference. Tried them twice or three times and just kept it in the bag as spare.

To be fair, they do tighten up, just not quite as well as the DJI ones with composite hubs. I think that a thin layer of blue Loctite will probably help. It's just too much trouble so I don't use them.

11. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

I stopped using loctite on motor shafts when it melted my P1's shell way back in 2013. Hehe...

Where do you usually fly? I used to fly in UP-CMO but it's too far.

12. oj88

Hence the "too much trouble" part. :D I have read of reports of the same... Loctite reacting badly with the plastics.

I usually fly in our backyard. There's an abandoned lot besides our property that has, through the years, been naturally transformed into a mini jungle. I try to stay above it as much as I can in the hopes that if ever something happens to the aircraft, the thick foliage might serve as a soft spot and minimize damage to the aircraft.

If I really need to stretch the legs, I also go to UP CMO. In fact, I was just there last Saturday late afternoon. Flew for about 40 minutes and left with around 30% remaining in my two battery packs.

13. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

Brave lad hehe

14. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

This is Karma. Nice price for their first drone. Makes you wonder how it will compare to the DJI Mavic to be announced next week.

15. kutsaratinidor

Shots fired and back.

In my mind, the Mavic is a solid device. It's the Phantom 4 miniaturized, with a streamlined design and improved vision technology. The Karma however, is the bang for the buck all-in-one package if you add value to the Karma grip and you already have a GoPro camera.I'm planning to get one with my brother.

I guess the Karma is not a bad choice for a first-time drone purchase. That battery life and range on the Mavic though (so good). We'll just get extra batteries with the savings. :p

Not sure if the Karma can get improved vision tech given it does not have the same sensor array of the Mavic.

#75 kutsaratinidor, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  16. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

In my opinion, many would get the Karma because its more of an "all-in-one" deal having a controller, handheld gimbal plus a backpack/storage case in one shot for $799. On the other hand, people will get the Mavic if they have experience the technology that DJI already have in their line-up (object avoidance ftw!), plus the welcoming portable size with Phantom 4's capability starting at $749 for the drone-only.

17. kutsaratinidor

@sandybridge_guy unfortunately, the 1099.99 Karma + GoPro 5 will cost us more on this side of the continent. CAD conversion + 13% tax pa. :cry:

18. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Exactly :(

I'm thinking of selling my Hero 4 Silver then probably accept the loss of about $100-150 then buy a Hero 5.

...and there's the $1099 that is the Karma *sigh*

19. kutsaratinidor

^Sell the Hero 4 Silver, get the Karma + Hero 5 package? :p My conversion for that package is around 1650CAD including taxes. Haha.

20. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

GoPro recalls all Karma drones over safety concerns | Engadget