Philmug Pilots (Multirotors, Quadcopters, Drones Thread)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Ollirep, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Ollirep

Ollirep Member

Hello everybody,

I just figured that there are PhilMuggers who digs this type of hobby too so i created this thread.

You may post pictures, ask questions, share tips, and stuff regarding these "birds"

I just had my DJI Phantom 3 Professional last week, and so far i'm enjoying every bit of it.

[​IMG]

I will post some useful stuff (checklist, etc) soon.

chaddictMac likes this.
  2. Ollirep

Ollirep Member

**Reserved**

3. Ollirep

Ollirep Member

**Reserved**

4. Ollirep

Ollirep Member

**Reserved**

5. Ollirep

Ollirep Member

**Reserved**

6. Ollirep

Ollirep Member

**Reserved**

7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.....ot what's with the reserved blank posts????

8. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Well, the thread starter probably reserved these slots for additional information (so that they'd be bunched together with his original post). However, there's a time limit when it comes to editing one's posts. So I'm not so sure... Perhaps the thread starter can explain it to me via Private Message?

9. raypin

Mmm......ot: that's also what I thought (editing has an expiration time) and this is the first time I've seen it done in this forum. Oh well........curiosity satisfied. Btt, I almost got into this quad rotor hobby but the regulations by CAAP is a real turn-off. There is a similar discussion about the legality of using drones in the Philippines in one of the archived threads. Suffice it to say that the idea of spending good money on this hobby but be limited to flying this thing in flying fields, without running afoul of CAAP, is just not for me. Too risky. Which turned out to be a blessing in disguise: more money to spend on headfi hobby/passion. lol! Di ba, pareng @ronnel......oh you're gonna' hate me more: Denon AH 5000 Lawton Level 3 mods + CDM....and I'm listening to *it* right now.

#9 raypin, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  10. jonathanvital

jonathanvital Active Member

paging sir natsgo! he's active in the mutirotor philippines fb group. =)

11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

so, where can we buy this thing? and when will those reserved posts be filled up with some useful stuff?

12. raypin

mmmm.....there are some grey market units advertised at olx.ph. Also, there's RC Victory World in Salcedo Makati. Other than that, there's HK or Singapore.

hitme64 likes this.
  13. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Got my DJI Phantom before the CAAP rules came out.

I fly it in the backyard but make sure the Chinese and French embassies don't see it. I'm surprised their jammers don't stop it from being controlled at all.

From what I've read, only those who use it for commercial purposes (you earn from flying the drone) are required to get licenses from CAAP. The rest are just suggested. To be fair, they probably want to watch over people who fly them over crowds then let them drop, hurting someone or something.

That being said, I find CAAP to be too knee jerk oriented over drones.

Back in the day people were already flying RC copters and planes. They weren't cheap then, and they aren't cheap now.

My set at the very least cost me about 70k plus with the extra batteries, memory cards and propellers. I enjoy just being able to fly it off the ground, the built in video is just cream.

14. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

i think that thread is in the videographers section.. maybe it can be merged with this one, along with the 'reservations' :)

15. raypin

mmm......aren't the latest drones already equipped with mandatory geofencing? In the U.S., consumer drone manufacturers have to "activate" mandatory geofencing to prevent drones from accidentally/intentionally entering restricted airspace. From my understanding of the CAAP regulations, hobbyists are also required to secure license/permit before being allowed to operate drones legally. In the U.S., Congress has exempted RC aircrafts from stricter FAA drone use regulations, provided that they follow the suggested guidelines.

16. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

The geofencing works in theory. Doesn't always work, especially if you fly the machine before the GPS gets a lock.

Hmm, we'll have to ask someone from CAAP cause from what I understand its only mandatory for commercial drones, not hobbyists. For hobbyists its suggested. Then again, interpretation is up to the enforcer to a certain degree.

I believe they should be strict with enforcement with regard to flying drones in no fly zones, however, to regulate hobbyists would be silly and a waste of taxpayer money.

17. raypin

mmm.....from my read of the situation, traditional RC aircrafts were sort of overlooked or conveniently overlooked because there were not a lot of them. Drones are different and the sudden interest by more people in flying these aircrafts (aided in large part by the easy learning curve) probably woke up the interest of the regulators. I mean, it is as easy as plotting the course with a damn app that even retarded people can easily master, unlike traditional RC which requires real flying skills. More flying toys, more headaches.

18. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

that is why the pilots of those Unmanned Aerial Vehicles ("killer drones") are not necessarily pilots, but are actually those who excelled because of gaming skills...

19. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

You guys might be interested to know that the new Mythbusters episode awhile ago focused on drones, and specifically if they could actually harm you, like if the spinning blades could cut open the artery on your neck (spoiler: the commercially available ones can't, though the bigger and heavier DIY kits conceivably could). Very interesting.

20. raypin

mmm.....the DJI Inspire One did this to singer Enrique Iglesias: