Personal Finance software for Mac

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by coffeelover, Jun 9, 2004.

1. coffeelover

coffeelover Member

I'm using MS Money for more than a year now in my windows PC, I'm looking at dumping the PC and using my ibook for everything, including managing our finances. Can someone recommend a good personal finance software? Preferably freeware or shareware. Thanks!

[Edited on 6-9-2004 by coffeelover]

2. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Quicken. Not freeware but reasonably priced at $60.00

3. mgd

mgd Member

Check out Version Tracker's list of Financial Software. You can sort the entries by license type. Money 1.3 looks promising but I have yet to try it out.

4. james

james Member

Does anyone in this forum use a personal finance software with their mac? Treo?

I tried using Quicken but it is in US $. One limitation that I noticed is the number of digits allowed for entries. If I use pesos, it doesn't work...too many zeroes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

5. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

i remember quicken used to come free with every mac, my sister still uses my old performa in her clinic running os 9 with quicken 5 (it came in the system cd) and it still works great despite being outdated a couple of decades, and it seems to handle small business accounting pretty well.. baka naman youre turning over millions of pesos a day that it cant handle all the money thats coming in (or is it out?) for you... he he he :hmm:

6. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

7. ncarandang

ncarandang Active Member

i use ibank... found it in versiontracker

8. james

james Member

Paparazzi, what version of Quicken do you use?

Are there many versions for the mac or just one kind?

What currency do you use? Pesos or Dollars?

HAL9000, The problem is not turning over millions of pesos a day. The problem is when you use pesos and over time the volume adds up to millions...then the number of digits are not enough.

Thanks,

James

9. james

james Member

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20630

Went to version tracker. Review for say that Quicken for Mac is "crap" when compared to Quicken of Windows.

Even when compared to Quicken 2000

10. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

James, I use Quicken 2005. Haven't really fiddled with it much, I'm using the default currency which is USD.

11. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

ive heard MYOB is really good... and easily handles currency changes... you might consider that.

12. pacoy

pacoy Member

i'm using quicken 2005, just wondering how can i change the currency to peso. any idea?

thanks

13. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry for the multiple posts but I think mentioning this on all threads that mentions MYOB will help Mac users find a localized version of MYOB. I'm was looking for a multiplatform accounting app so I dug up info on the local MYOB distributor from the MYOB Asia site.

PHILIPPINES
    BCS Systems & Technologies, Inc.
    2A H&M Building,
    13-15 Linaw Street,
    Sta Mesa Heights,
    Quezon City, Philippines.
    Phone : (632) 448 5128-34
    Fax No : (632) 712 6446
    Email : [email protected]

Called them and they said the Mac version will have to come from Australia and they may not be able to give support for Mac-specific problems. I assume though that the Mac version isnt too different and the localized files developed for Windows can be read by the Mac version

[Edited on 11.16.05 by King]

14. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Can any one suggest a software for Personal finance similar to MS Money for Mac?
    thanks

15. upw111

upw111 Member

Quicken for Mac. Definitely a winner. :) although i've got the 2005 version, check if there's already an updated one. I'm sure it'll fit your needs.

16. ramil

ramil Active Member

iBank, Moneydance, and Liquid Ledgers also seems to be very good options.

like you, dasaint, i'm also looking for a personal finance software just like MS Money. Up to now, i have not chosen one. Quicken for Mac 2006 came free with my iMac. but, for me, it isn't as good as MS Money.

has anybody compared the different options mentioned above? which do you like best?

thanks in advance.

17. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

quicken for windows for mac is way better than its mac counterpart. i was hoping to use quicken 2006 for mac included with my purchase of a macbook but was not able to do so due to conversion problems , etc. so i had to use my quicken windows version under parallel.

18. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree. Quicken:win is much much better than quicken:mac (and MS Money is better too). I also had conversion problems, in particular, transfer transactions between Peso and Dollar accounts, so I stuck with Quicken:Win under Bootcamp. That said, MSMoney users would probably be happier too sticking with MS Money under Bootcamp or Parallels.

#18 gaol, Jul 28, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  19. jps444

jps444 Active Member

i use quicken and quickbooks. good enough for me to manage all my accounts from business to personal.

20. hedges

hedges Member

I tried out iBank for a couple of days last and I really liked it so I bought the license three days ago.