Perform System Maintenance from the Finder Menu

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by booblanco, Jun 6, 2005.

1. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

You'll like this.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25902

"Product Description:
    MainMenu is a menu item to run tasks such as repairing disk permissions, running maintenance scripts, and a lot more, with most tasks providing feedback during execution (there's also a batch task function). MainMenu can be run in a non-administrator account. This application is currently in development. Bug reports, feedback (positive as well as negative) and anything else appreciated."

It's free. Sweet.

2. Buddhaboy

Buddhaboy Member

This thread is almost four years old, but it deserves discussion again I think.

I just installed it a month ago and already it has replaced Onyx and Cocoktail which were previously my maintenance tools.

Convenient, powerful and much more intuitive than any solution I've tried before, I highly recommend this MainMenu.

3. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

4. luisito

luisito Member

i've been looking for something like this actually for a long time.

question though: if i select all of its batch tasks, does it do all the system maintenance work that i need to do regularly? i mean, i haven't really cleaned or did any system maintenance on my macbook every since i bought it so i was wondering if there's anything else i need to do or if this app does all the essential things i need?

that's all!

5. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

basically, yes, but there are many tasks that were not included under 'batch tasks,' such as rebuilding the spotlight index or launch services (only IF you must) or the stuff under 'other tasks.'

not unless your mac is behaving wonkily and you're fixing a glitch, you'll have little use of tasks not included under 'batch tasks.'

6. luisito

luisito Member

great!

OT, about that spotlight index, i recently had a problem with that, something about the mds and the mdworker that were going haywire in the activity monitor, something that had to do with the spotlight, it's fixed now but i don't know what i actually did, i just knew it had something to do with the spotlight.

anyway, thanks. now my mac's more maintained. haha