Pencil with Dead Battery, possible to get a replacement?

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by bem809, Dec 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bem809

bem809 Member

Hi everyone. I purchased a Pencil at an Apple Store in the USA more than a year ago. Didn’t use it for months at a time and now the battery is dead and won’t hold a charge.

I’ve read about people getting their out-of-warranty Pencils replaced at Apple Stores on the basis of dead batteries. Is it possible to do the same with the retailers here in the Philippines?

Thanks in advance!

2. mackymd

mackymd Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat and would appreciate a response as well

3. Cmmig

Cmmig PhilMUG Addict Member

Try this (from a forum) :

In case it helps anyone else, I suspected a dead pencil. Tried everything - leaving it plugged in for hours, pairing, restarting the iPad, removing the tip, tightening the tip etc. Nothing worked.

I just now tried restarting the iPad *with the pencil still plugged in* and it's come back and what's more it's showing 100% charge. On the one hand I'm very happy but on the other this is a terrible user experience!

#3 Cmmig, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  4. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

i have the same problem, will try this 'hack' and hope it works... i was ready to throw the pencil away...

5. bem809

bem809 Member

Thanks for the tip but it’s still toast. Pencil shows 12% on restart then jumps down to 3% when I disconnect it from the iPad.

F

Cmmig likes this.
  6. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

i hope mine will work...

7. zasRo

zasRo Member

I'm on the same situation. Haven't used my pencil for a year. Now when I try connecting it to my daughters iPad Pro, it would show connected and would disconnect few seconds after. Tried charging it for few hours.. and tried restarting the iPad but still not working.

8. lion0423

lion0423 Member

I have the same issue with my Apple Pencil ver. 1. I haven’t used it for a year. When I tried it again on my iPad Pro, it wouldn’t pair. I tried resetting the iPad, re-pairing the Pencil, charging the Pencil using the adaptor for 4 hours, and even updated to iPadOS 13. The “Apple Pencil” appears in the bluetooth Other Devices, but it won’t pair. Can this be serviced by Apple service centers? Has anyone brought his AP for repair? Any leads will be much appreciated. BTW, the unit was bought in Hong Kong.

9. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Got this from the official Apple forum:

lion0423 likes this.
  10. lardcas

lardcas Member

According to PMC SM North, they will replace the apple pencil as long as the unit does not have any physical damage (dent, scratches and etc...) and if the unit is still in 1 year warranty (you will need to present proof of purchase doc).
    They won't accept repairs for unit that out of warranty.

lion0423 likes this.
  11. lion0423

lion0423 Member

Thanks for the info. Sadly my Apple Pencil is out of warranty (purchased Dec 2017). Based on my research/readings, the Pencil needs battery replacement. I don’t know if any repair shop does this. It seems this accessory is considered a disposable item.

12. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

me too I thought I have a dead pencil but I don;t know what brought it back to life try to forget the pencil in bluetooth and try pairing as if new

13. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

a liitle ot, is a wiwu pencil pro a good alternative for apple pencil?
    medyo malaki din kasi price difference from the original pencil...

also if i used alternative pencil, hindi naman sya nakaka harm ba sa screen ng ipad mismo?

14. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member