[PC/PS3/XBOX360] Dragon Age Origins - The Dark Fantasy Epic

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by csc2ky, Nov 9, 2009.

1. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

Make sure you take a look at Dragon Age Origins for your gaming consoles or PC (Boot Camp)!

If you enjoy adventures, tactical battling, developing your characters, an epic story that keeps the tension up continuously, and good presentation, Dragon Age Origins is something you shouldn't miss.

Take a look at the website to find out more about it. It's worth a look

www.dragonage.com

The reviews on the Interwebs tend to give the PC version an advantage over the console ones. That is why I just picked up the PC version, and for a new game it runs very well on my WinXP Boot Camp partition with the MBP 15" 9600M GT (512MB). I just put the details to Medium and upped the resolution to the native 1440x900px. Everything is running very smooth so far, but I still need to take a look at some tweaking possibilities. e.g. I did not install the latest drivers for the 9600M yet.

2. kenok

kenok Member

An awesome game... from the writing and the characters. I should spring the moolah for Warden's Keep DLC soon.

3. loopy

loopy Member

excellent game, as you would expect from bioware. not stable though. keeps crashing on me...

cheers!

4. reorx

reorx Member

level 10 dual wielding rogue here.....

needless to say, i havent been getting sleep lately

5. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Got this as soon as the it came out. My wife and I are playing it via Boot Camp + Windows 7. We were big Baldur's Gate fans, so happy that Bioware finally released another fantasy RPG that lives up to that series.

@loopy, we haven't encountered any problems playing, we're both playing it on MacBook Pro running Windows 7 via Boot Camp.

6. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

I love this game! level 11 mage here with Sten, Allistair and Wynne as my partymates :) Now I can't wait to go home to play it again :)

7. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

Yes I read online that the PC version crashes at certain points. Might as well do multiple saves just to be sure.

8. abbadon

abbadon Member

I have the 360 version. It's very addicting but I wish I had the PC version.

9. reorx

reorx Member

PC version is superior in almost every way. Better Graphics, more strategic, ramped up difficulty and challenenges, and of course, the famous Baldurs Gate top-down camera angle which apprently the console versions do not have

I just got some of the DLCs...Shale the Golem is the ULTIMATE tank partymate

10. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

As I said before, this game is really good. Of all western RPGs that are out there, it is definitely the one to play at the moment.

Last weekend I finally got the time to play a little longer and some of the main quests, e.g. Castle of Redcliffe, are pretty hard to beat on the normal difficulty level. The good thing about it is, that you can decide to attend other quests first, so you can raise the experience level and other things like armor before you return to a quest that just seemed too hard.

I ventured into the the Brecillian forest and found myself somewhat reminded of "The Lord of the Rings" when I met the talking and attacking trees. Anyways the story is well laid out, and keeps you eager to play on and on.

Sometimes I wish this game would have something like a co-op mode, where you can use 4 human players for your party. This would be awesome.

@All with the PC version: What Windows distribution do you use along with which version of nVidia drivers, and last but not least what are your settings for the graphics within the game? Also which graphics chip do you use (9600M or 8600M)?

11. loopy

loopy Member

@ patrick - thanks for the feedback. might be my windows installation or hardware. it's been wonky lately. tried out oblivion and mass effect and these too had glitches i did not experience before. been waiting for dragon ages for...well...ages. LOL! happy adventuring!

@ bluedragonph - you're right, though it isn't so bad now. might just reinstall windows again (well, that's why we use osx, yeah?). at one point, i was saving every minute out of paranoia! LOL!

i do appreciate that you can't just hack and slash through the game. even at normal difficulty, it's very challenging. and unlike other "rpg" games over the years, this one appears to be a true blue rpg. hardly sleeping nowadays.

cheers!

12. reorx

reorx Member

the redcliffe undead defense is VERY hard for an early-level party on normal.

Fighting the different revenants (in the phylacteries) is near IMPOSSIBLE on normal. Ive faced 5 revenants so far and each time i had to switch to easy for those fights :p

But for everything else, normal is a good challenge.

Im now at level 17, and with the complete Jugernaut armor, i can pretty much mow anything down

13. splukutum

splukutum Active Member

system requirements for the PC please?

14. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

XP MINIMUM SPECS
    CPU: Intel Core 2(or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater
    AMD X2(or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater
    RAM: 1GB or more
    VIDEO: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater
    DVD ROM (Physical copy)
    20 GB HD space

VISTA MINIMUM SPECS
    CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater
    RAM: 1.5 GB or more
    VIDEO: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater
    DVD ROM (Physical copy)
    20 GB HD space

RECOMMENDED SPECS
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
    RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)
    VIDEO: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
    NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
    AMD Phenom II X3 Triple-Core 2.8 GHz or greater
    DVD ROM (Physical copy)
    20 GB HD space

15. abbadon

abbadon Member

Got myself a PC version as well since I was disappointed with the 360 version. Running on my MBP with Windows 7 via Bootcamp. I'm happy now!

16. reorx

reorx Member

lol, im currently carrying concurrent sexual affairs with my female mage and my male elven rogue. No wonder this game has a MATURE rating hahahaha

17. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I used to play Neverwinter Nights and Baldurs Gate years ago. I'm really tempted to install windows in bootcamp and get this game. (I probably wont because its is surely a huge time sink) :)

18. reorx

reorx Member

Finally finished my dual-wield rogue on normal.

Now guiding my early mage through hard, hehe

and yes, MAJOR timesink. Ugh.

19. shiro_ian

shiro_ian Member

I've played this game for a while on my brother's x360, and it has got me hooked!

Question! Can this game be played smoothly on a unibody alu macbook 13"? (not mbp)

20. monak47

monak47 Member

Finished this game in a week hahaha, Blood Mage + Arcane warrior is a wicked combination hehehe