[PC] Nvidia vs ATI

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by Jerson R, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerson R

Jerson R Member

What do you guys suggest between the two brands of gaming videocards. My friends suggested me to go with ATI because it's for the "real gamers" and Nvidia for the posers. I heard that the ATI 5970 is the king of the hill. What are your insights guys? =)

2. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I'd refer to technical reviews online from various hardware/gaming magazines in forming an opinion in addition to personal reviews here on PhilMUG.

To buy one brand and not the other solely on the basis of the rather adolescent reasoning that "NVIDIA is for posers" is foolish and is akin to buying something (e.g. iPhone/iPad) and not the other because "it's cool."

Everyone's got an opinion, just make sure that it's an informed opinion based on fact. Because as the saying goes, "Opinions are like..."

3. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

i prefer nvidia over ati..

4. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm not really adept to pc parts but with that I have noticed within our local communities of gamers, ATI seems to be the dominant brand when it comes to video cards. In the processor bracket though, the current Intel Quad/i3/i5/i7 is clearly the winner against the Phenom series of AMD, but with AMD releasting the Thuban six-core phenoms and rumors has it that the basic cost will be at $200, well that's a different story. On the video cards, for what i see is that ATI models such as 5770, 5850 and 5870 are quite popular because of the 1gb ddr5 performance that comes in with a reasonable price, I'm not sure about Nvidia's cards but i remmeber they're priced more that their ATI counterparts.

I think they're both really good.. But if i were to choose, i trust ATI. :)

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

....he he he.....posers......

@Jerson R.....I've switched to ATI for the first time since I started using video cards (you can count decades now ;). The 480 from Nvidia is somewhat of a disappointment. Early published benchmarks put it roughly at par or slightly outperforms the ATI 5870 but it is priced higher. If that isn't enough of a disappointment, Nvidia's newest baby consumes more juice and heats up a lot.

I've been a loyal Nvidia user but someting went wrong with their product development cycle. ATI's 5900 family of vid cards performs better at a price point that's lower than their Nvidia counterparts. I'm using the 5970 and I have no complaints thus far (performance is top notch, heat is manageable at 81 C max, built-in fan noise is quite tolerable).

But, I also upgraded my mobo to be both SLI and Crossfire compatible, just in case Nvidia overtakes ATI in the never ending race to produce the world's fastest consumer graphics card.

6. warmgreentea

Supporter

^

Heya raypin, looks like you're a veteran on pc parts. Just a question, what's your take between the i series of intel against the phenom series of amd? I'm planning to build my rig late this year, and I've found out that the Thuban chips of amd looks like a great value processor for $200. Care to share insights? :)

7. raypin

mmm.....I just think that, as a company, AMD blew it big time. They are not making much money these days (in fact, they are losing). I used to be an AMD fan, before Intel took charge of the market and basically crushed AMD. Stick with Intel and partner it with an ATI. That's the best formula.

8. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

@Threadstarter

The most powerful single chip is nVidia's Fermi GT480. However, the fastest single card is ATI's 5970 which combines two chips in one card. nVidia can't do the same thing because their chip is so big it won't fit a single card.

Just to add, while the GT480 may be the fastest single processor, you still get better performance with the 5970. And the GT480 runs so hot you can't overclock it too much, and it consumes a lot of power your electricity bill will take a hit.

ATI basically has the best performing cards depending upon your budget and in addition, they consume a lot less power than their nVidia counterparts.

So if I would suggest, ATI is better.

@raypin

I don't think you should count out AMD. They have Fusion in the works coming in 2011 which combines a 4 core processor with a graphics processor in one chip. They already have working samples with PC manufacturers already for testing.

One thing about Fusion is that it will enable the CPU to utilize the power of the GPU under certain circumstances (such as repetitive tasks) which result in higher CPU performance.

Intel failed with their attempt at a single chip solution (Larabee) because their graphics chips are not up to par. AMD has ATI and it promises to provide a solution Intel can't provide.

9. warmgreentea

Supporter

^ wow that sounds pretty neat! Hopefully fusion will come out cheaper than buying a processor and graphics card separately. Looks like there's going to be a new kind of mobo for the amd fusion :)

10. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

Which is why I'm holding back on my PC upgrade. If Fusion turns out to be a gem, I'll upgrade to it.

AMD already has better a better performing video chip with less temperature and power consumption in their Radeon 5xxx series.

If they can somehow make their processors similarly low powered and yet better performing with their Fusion processor, they'll have a monster in their hands.

However, if Fusion fails, I'll probably end up upgrading my PC to an Intel processor with AMD Video card.

11. kenok

kenok Member

Going ATI 5xxx series of cards is the best right now (I set my sights on the 5850/70). You just can't ignore the power savings to performance ratio it gives you right now.

But if you're playing a lot of Phsyx games, you'd be missing something or get a performance hit. You could run a cheap Nvidia card take care Physx duties.

12. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

There won't be a hit with ATI cards on games with PhysX because the game would simply not call the PhysX code if it detects a non-PhysX video card.

What little something you would lose is open to debate. Some people say Physx enhances a game with its realistic debris effects. On the other hand, others say Physx needlessly distracts from gameplay because of the effects. Others say they don't notice the Physx effect because they're more concerned at beating the bad guy in the game.

So is Physx really important? Depends on the user because with nVidia, you get Physx, but more power consumption. and more heat inside your case.

13. Drew4601

Drew4601 Member

been using an ati 4870 for some time now. works great. from my experience though, ati cards tend to run at higher temps than nvidia cards. at least thats how it was with my old gts250 vs my current 4870. and personally, i kind of like the catalyst control center interface.

14. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

That somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison. The GTS250 is a middle level card while the 4870 is the previous generation top of the line card. So the power draw and performance level is not the same.

That being said, the 5870 is a lot cooler and uses less power than its 4870 predecessor.

15. Drew4601

Drew4601 Member

mm yeah i guess it was kind of wrong to compare a gts250 to a 4870, but i've also compared the 4870 to a gtx260 (i think this is the nvidia equivalent of the 4870 if i remember correctly). the gtx260 runs cooler than the 4870. although i havent had the chance to try out them 5 series cards though... havent seen the need yet.

thanks

16. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

Also no. The GTX260 is also not the direct equivalent of the 4870. The direct equivalent of the 4870 is the GTX280.

17. raypin

apples vs. oranges, this vs. that.....it can be confusing but the one and only way to compare real world performance of this vs. that vid card is benchmark. Here's one, as of April 10, 2010, (results are compiled from tens of thousands of benchmarked video cards; noticeably absent are crossfired or SLI vid cards and the top contenders HD5970 and Nvidia 480 but those two will surely top the list):

[​IMG]

18. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

@Raypin

Thanks for the chart. And reading your siggy, man if you ever tire of your computer system, I'd gladly accept yours. Wow, i7 and 5970... Hahaha

19. raypin

ot: @aaarrrnnn I try to save and use that extra to fund my luho, but if ever there's one machine that I would like to have someday......it is Hardcore Computer's Detonator. The mobo, peripherals etc. are immersed in a special non-conductive liquid (10 times more efficient than air cooling alone). Look it up.

Back to topic, Physx is actually overrated. I just don't believe that it is a killer feature for the Nvidia family.

20. warmgreentea

Supporter

^ Oh man that setup is monstrous, it's now my dream rig as well.. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.