PBA Thread (Philippine Basketball Association)

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by ice, Mar 30, 2012.

1. whitemug

whitemug Member

commissioners cup semis is on!

too bad for rain or shine in their series vs talk n text - they had the lead going into the final few mins of Q4, but then the texters crawled their way back, and eventually pushed ahead. howell's a workhorse for them, plus you can't forget their clutch guard tandem in alapag & castro. and that's why their part of the smart gilas team!

as for the second series, everyone is saying that franz pumaren's guys pulled of a major upset over the san mig coffee mixers. yet again, spotty officiating reared its ugly head in this one, with the refs missing a crucial travelling call on the ageless asi taulava. pero bilib pa rin ako kay tim cone, walking all the way towards the air21 side of the court to express his disappointment & frustration with the refs.

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

3. jerichojanolo

jerichojanolo Well-Known Member

Win or Go Home for the SMCM vs Air21 series. How can you win if your opponent makes 15 3-pointers?

Advantage on Game 5: San Mig (experience and poise)

4. emsy

emsy Member

and Tim Cone

5. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

Air21 is hungry for more. I believe they will score another upset.

6. Parkuu

Parkuu Member

Smc will get this.

7. jerichojanolo

San Mig Super Coffee Mixers win game 1.

Best player of the game: James Yap

8. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Any truth to the rumor that Pacquaio will suit up for KIA as player-coach? :D

#168 Dekra, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  9. zarghee

zarghee Member

I watched a recent interview with Pacquiao on TV Patrol confirming that he will be a playing coach of Kia

10. goran

goran Member

^if that is true. Imho, kia has no respect of the game. Purely marketing strategy.. i know manny can play but common guys

11. Parkuu

Parkuu Member

I don't know about Manny Pacquiao on Basketball but does he even know how to coach and make plays?

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Pacquiao coaching will be for the good of all.

Think about it: If he fails at coaching, what will he say in 2016, "I will be an even better President?"

13. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

I have to say this in the vernacular, binababoy ng kia ang PBA kung talagang si manny ang gagawin palyong coach, insulto ito sa ibang coaches!

14. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Boo-Kia! But hey, anyone can be a coach or player as long as they go through the proper channels. Respect that angle, too.

If Bong Revilla and Lito Lapid can be senators, why can't Manny Pacquiao be a coach?The insult would be if Kia actually beat teams like TnT or SMC (these are the only two teams whose respective coaches command that much respect).

OT..

[​IMG]

15. jerichojanolo

I'm rooting for the other side, Jay.

TNT ties the series. Big 30 points from Jayson Castro.

Down to a best-of-3. Next game is on tuesday, 8PM.

16. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

i don't have a problem with Manny Pacquiao coaching. I think he also knows a thing or two about basketball. An expansion team will stink anyways in the first couple of years so why not make a splash in your hirings besides the teams in the PBA are primarily in there to advertise their product/company.

17. emsy

emsy Member

If manny becomes coach and after some seasons with all star caliber players and they still stink(coaching reasons) how can they make manny walk? Will his standing in the sports world make him untouchable in this basketball profession?

18. JayShawn

JayShawn Member

Kia's getting pacquiao as a player/coach reeks of pure marketing to boost their profile with the fans. nothing wrong with that, no disrespect, but ginebra got robert jaworski as a player coach when he was a has been already mostly for marketing and PR purposes.

19. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

Marketing is the main purpose of the PBA Teams so you can't fault Kia for optimizing their marketing exposure.

If this is UP or any other collegiate school offering Manny a coaching job then i will have some issues. Remember that the players of the expansion teams will come primarily from the expansion draft and the free agency pool so any chance of them competing for a title would be daydreaming.

20. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah remember when Swift and Pepsi stunk up the joint? I forget the full name of Swift's manager then Elmer something started the offersheet system and that word suddenly became his own :) i remember when he was interviewed at the time Patrimonio won his mvp, the reporters asked him what can you say about the new mvp he said offersheet and it brought the house down.