Passport Issuing and DFA

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jaijin, Jul 15, 2010.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...got curious and it turns out that A4 size is the standard for bond paper that is mandated by the International Standards Organization (ISO).

2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

We went to the DFA NCR South to renew our passport. I have a PWD ID, but that only means no appointment needed. You still have to wait your turn before the ones with appointment schedule. We went in line at 8AM (opens at 10am)and finished at 3PM. Yes, 7 hours of musical chairs without the music, and a water bottle. I made friends with senior citizens, OFWs and other PWDs. After seeing other PWDs, who seem to be behind the seniors and OFWs all the time, I feel like I want to run for PWD party list congressman lol. There's 1.5M PWDs we need a representative! Seriously, there seems to be a problem with the way the line was moving. We were earlier than most of the walk ins, but they still went in first, and it took them 3 hours to finish against our 7 hours.

3. Adarna

Adarna PhilMUG Addict Member

I found out while applying for my UK & Schengen visa that there are expedited visa processing lanes if you want to skip the lines and get the visa in less than the standard amount of time.

Perhaps DFA could learn from VFS Globel and charge more for people who want to skip lines? If I had to sit for 7 hours to get a new passport I'd gladly pay the same degree of price increase to process my application in 17 minutes instead of 7 hours.

The extra fees could help subsidize needy people's passports.

When my senior citizen dad applies for his new 10 year passport next year I will be joining him and pre-terminating mine by more than year. Why? Because long lines is a sign that people disrespect your time.

Mykolant likes this.
  4. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

Well the last two renewals I did went pretty well. Finished everything in less than an hour. I believe it’s better to just getting an appointment rather than walk ins. I know for Seniors and PWD it does not make sense that you are not priotized but while DFA is sorting that out better get an appointment if possible. And also I got a feedback that for those who were in courtesy lanes ended up waiting longer than those who booked an appointment. Hahaha

5. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

Just had my renewal last week. Will be getting my passport in 12 working days.

0A26DC05-DDF3-458A-B205-0CB91E6CE87E.jpeg

6. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

a friend told me that renewal now only needs the old e-passport and xerox, no other requirements, is it true?
    how long before the expiry day can we renew the passport? mine expiring Dec next year kasi, if its easy and fast to renew now, may be better to get an appointment since not planning to travel anytime soon until this year ends,
    anyone knows pls share

7. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

As for me, my expiry is still on February next year.
    I think you can already renew 6 months before your expiry.
    I would confirm, you will only need your old passport and a photocopy of the page where your details are.
    You would also need to print the form that will be sent to you by email.

By the way, payment should be done 24 hrs after your appointment confirmation.
    As for me, I paid it through 7 eleven.

And also, our new passports are now valid for 10 years.

Hope this helps.

8. raypin

Mm... I renewed mine 9 months prior. At that time, DFA appointment slots were as rare as an honest politician. If you intend to travel at least 6 months prior to December 2019, I suggest you request them not to invalidate your current passport and just opt to surrender it once your new passport is ready for pick-up at the DFA branch that you have chosen to handle your renewal.

Since you have the e passport, the only requirement is the xerox copy of your data page (the page containing your photo and personal details).

Bring two government ID on the day of your appointment slot and wear decent cloths (dress code enforced by manong guard).

My suggestion is to renew by Feb or March. Not the height of summer and weather is still pleasant. By June onwards, rainy season = traffic is hell.

Attached Files:

#488 raypin, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  9. Adarna

Adarna PhilMUG Addict Member

When I renewed my 2000-2015 passport they had a litany of documentary requirements that was such a hassle to deal with.

When it was my turn to submit the docs they only needed to see my old passport + copy of one of its pages.

Govt being govt just want you to go through stupid hoops.

How does other countries do their passports? Cant turn around time be as fast as those of the LTO?

raypin likes this.
  10. jlconferido

jlconferido Well-Known Member

My poor niece is so excited to go Seoul, but, she lost her passport. She is so heartbroken because her Mom is going with her after not seeing each other for 2 years. Is there a way for me to help her? I can't stand her not going because this is a dream trip for her. They already set to leave on December 26. If you have any leads please send me a PM. Thanks.

11. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

If she has all the necessary documents for a lost passport, and she has a PWD card, then you can make it in 1 week. The biggest problem would be securing an appointment. Without a PWD or Senior citizens card, she'll need an appointment.

jlconferido likes this.
  12. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

I am so sorry for your niece. But the best advice here now is to reschedule the trip. You will be needing some serious connection within the DFA, for her to get a new passport (I am not a fan of this practice, I think it's one way of contributing to our corruption problem). If they follow the standard process it is almost impossible to get a replacement passport for her, aside from the fact that even under rush processing it will take 6 working days (Dec 24, 25 and 26 are holidays), lost passport requires an additional 15 business days of clearing period.
    Your niece and her mother can also consider just taking a local trip for now. Spending time together regardless of the location after not seeing each other for 2 years is going to be a memorable one.

hitme64, raypin and jlconferido like this.
  13. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Or maybe there is a senior (so no need for appointment) in your family that needs a passport? She can say she's the companion sa trip, & I think she could be accommodated.

jlconferido likes this.
  14. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I renewed my passport almost 2 years ahead of time with my baby son to make the most of the ten year passport. He was barely 4 months and got a lesser 5 year but daddy was the happy boy that day.

FYI new born baby lines are much faster than senior and pwd lanes.

hitme64 and jlconferido like this.
  15. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

when will be the proposed online passport renewal? I hope Cayetano stay as foreign affair sec, many changes done than previous 10 years

16. raypin

Mm...Cayetano out. Locsin in. Cayetano and wife = running in two congressional districts in Taguig.

Just checked DFA Appointment - lots of open dates for Dec., nationwide. Should continue to improve in the next few years, thanks to the 10-year expiration.

#496 raypin, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    hitme64 likes this.
  17. jlconferido

jlconferido Well-Known Member

Thank you for your very helpful responses. I hope my niece gets to sort out this inconvenience and spend quality time with her mom.

18. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^A member of Congress CAN allow VIP scheduling for rush passport processing...this is an unwritten exemption afforded to them, their families and certain constituents with their express consent and approval...with said endorsement, you can get a replacement passport in one day...

Not all members of Congress (House or Senate) are afforded this privilege though, say if your last name is de Lima, Colmenares, Elago, et.al. because you don't get that kind of treatment if you do not believe in governmental exigency in service...but don't quote me on that

jlconferido, raypin and Dekra like this.
  19. raypin

OT: Mm..I miss the good,’ol days when each DFA branch kept its own supply of blank passports...renewal was a few days affair. In my case, my mom knew the consul. She’d walk in, make chika, leave our old passports in the morning and pick up the new ones in the afternoon.

No biometrics bullshit. No appointment bullshit. It was first come first serve.

Is the new, more secure ePassport better? Not really. The old ones worked perfectly (laminated photo, etc.).

#499 raypin, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  20. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I’m just excited to use my ten year passport when I re enter the country using the e gate.

Asenso ala first world!