Passport Issuing and DFA

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jaijin, Jul 15, 2010.

1. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Since they "upgraded" their methods of processing passport applications, it should be faster and more convenient, right? But no, I guess not. Right now, it takes twice or even three times the wait compared to what it was before.

So here comes my problem...

I have a ticket for Bangkok scheduled Tuesday, July 20th, and my passport is still at the DFA. I already did everything I could, but still no expediting of the release. I worried I might now make my flight, since it's non-refundable, and the rebooking fees are way too expensive, even more than the value of the ticket itself. So I was wondering, does anyone know what I can do to help my case? Not really anyone's fault here, just the DFA taking so long to process and deliver.

Worst case scenario is me asking anyone if they know anyone. ;) Thanks.

2. ekacpuc

ekacpuc Member

Same worry here Jaijin. I am also booked for Bangkok this Sunday 7/18/10 and my passport is scheduled for claim tomorrow 7/16/10.

The very main reason why i did not have it delivered is that something might go wrong, so i decided just to pick it up by tom.

Where you given a schedule for release? or was it re-scheduled for release? beacuse this makes me a bit more really worried, have the same senario you would have.

3. alistair

alistair Member

When did you apply (I'm assuming it's a new passport application)? I was able to get my passport renewed in less than 3 weeks last year (of course, it was 'expedited' but it just shows that where there's a will *ahem*, there's a way).

4. essay

essay Active Member

I'm scheduled for DFA passport renewal interview on July 26 and I have a flight on Aug 20.

I hope my passport makes it.

5. NeilJohn

NeilJohn Active Member

Booking is already a pain to start with. I was hoping to book a PA (renewal because I'm down to my last page) on May last March as I will spend at least 3 weeks at home before leaving the country again but I was told that the available schedule is already June (2 days before my flight). So I had to make another PA request for July as I am out of the country by June. When I finally was able to make an appearance, the photographing took 3 hours of waiting because there is only 1 person and at times 2 people attending to their respective booths. You have to go through all of this even if you are assisted by a travel agency plus an appointment that's supposedly only going to last an hour. Better prepare half of your day just to do the PA.

#5 NeilJohn, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  6. mmaayy

mmaayy Member

Getting a schedule thru their website was really hard. But it was a totally different thing when i went to the DFA office for my scheduled appointment. It was a breeze. My schedule was at 7am and I went there an hour earlier. The entire process only took 1 hour and 30 mins. :)

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I used telephone passport express for my passport renewal. I scheduled on April and got a call on May that I have to go on June 11 for my show up. I got my passport after 10 working days. Its was convenient, but the wait for a scheduled show up is taking too long. They said if you book on a specific date, they can get you a show up appointment after 2 months. I didn't have to go anywhere though.

8. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

Thats very sad. Are things still handled by Pilipinas teleserve? I remember renewing my passport last year was so easy.

9. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

It was a pain setting up an appointment. Had to wait 2 months for the earliest opening.

On the day, we went at 9am since our appointment was 930am. We finished the whole process by 3pm. Funny thing is that we missed our number on the 2nd queue (photo taking) and the people there are saying we have to get a number all over again. Argued with the supervisor but if I let it pass, you can imagine I'd probably be there till 5pm and a lot of Filipinos wouldn't argue.

Seriously, whoever is handling this portion of the DFA should be criminally liable. Imagine the millions of productive hours lost because this supposed "upgrade".

To answer the thread title, yes this is indeed proof we have taken a big step backward. I'm actually wondering why PNoy retained the current DFA secretary.

10. joemoso

joemoso Active Member

Meron sila passport mobile services? Maybe you could try to go there? Schedule's on their website.

11. ad0bo

ad0bo Member

Renewing my passport was actually a very easy process for me. Booked online - no problem. Went there for the process itself - took me less than 2 hours - no problem. Claiming (or receiving, actually) was a big problem.

I had a flight a few days (including Saturday and Sunday) after scheduled delivery of my passport (paid for expedited delivery). Passport wasn't delivered on scheduled date. Passport wasn't delivered next day - my flight at that time was two days after. Called the courier, it wasn't with them. Called Teleserv, it hadn' t passed through "releasing" yet, so I concluded it was still with DFA.

Called several people, and someone through someone through someone went there the day before my flight.

What that someone said was that: they had lost my passport so they "reprinted" or "reissued" my passport in 30 minutes after he "threatened" them with, "Hindi pwedeng hindi ma-issue iyan dahil aalis na iyan mamayang gabi."

He was able to claim my passport, too, without me surrendering my claim stub (which is still with me).

I know it's not too encouraging but, there :/

12. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

i guess the lesson we can learn from the other philmuggers experiences is to renew passports asap when possible, regardless if they have an upcoming flight.

southeast asian travel is getting so affordable that weekend trips to HK/Bangkok/Singapore are commonplace.

Renew your passports before you even think of even booking flights/vacation packages philmuggers!

13. NeilJohn

NeilJohn Active Member

If you have a passport expiring within the year or have only a couple of pages left, I suggest you get yourself a schedule to avoid the hassle associated with the supposed "upgrade" of DFA passport services.

14. ad0bo

ad0bo Member

My passport is set to expire 2012 - I renewed so I could get the new passport. I scheduled a month ahead and in between decided to get a (promo) ticket to HK.

Had I known it would've been that way, I would've just renewed my passport later! u

15. ste@lth

ste@lth Well-Known Member

I had the very same dilemma when i have a scheduled trip to Beijing last month, my passport expired in May and i have to be in China by June 20, i went through the regular process of applying online and getting a schedule for PA, got the passport 5 days before my flight and then the visa for China 2 days after so it was really a photo finish for me, lesson learned here is to RENEW your passport 3 months before it expires.

16. eag

eag Well-Known Member

For travel abroad your passport should still have at least 6 months validity left on it, so it may be better to renew it earlier than 3 months before it expires.

17. pinoydinako

pinoydinako Member

from my experience, i also booked online for the appearance and went there an hour early.. process was a breeze but there were really long lines.. i was scheduled for 1:00 pm and was able to finish everything by 4:30pm.. i opted to have my passport delivered to our home and i got it in less than a month.. around 2-3 weeks.. but they say that i could have gotten it earlier if i decided to pick it up myself..

18. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Actually, the process was quite fast for me too. was scheduled for 2pm, was there by 1:10, done by 1:55. After that, wait like hell.

19. oloc

oloc Member

20. sparcs_17

sparcs_17 Member

my friend applied in the dfa pampanga since it was near our province early this july.it took her the whole day and she was told she will be getting her passport on august 30th AFTER paying and getting her picture taken.the reason was they had to prioritize the OFWs. my friend politely asked is there any other way to get it sooner because we had to leave on aug 17.and the officer just told her "tour ka lang naman eh".no offense to the ofws,but everybody waited in line that day and thats just a lame reason why they have to delay the passports of those people who are going out of the country for leisure.

i told my friend sana she just had an appointment here in manila. It took me an hour to get everything done,eh kaso hindi din pala ganon for some people. anyway,she's trying to call the dfa hotline if she could cancel the application in pampanga and go to the mobile passport in crame sa 31st.you can get the passports the same day din daw.oh well.