Outline from the rubber gasket on the screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by HardCharger, Feb 26, 2010.

1. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Hi All!

I just noticed this morning that there was a somewhat visible outline on the edges of my MBP unibody, apparently it's from the rubber gasket of sorts outlining the screen (Probably put there to separate the screen from the body or to prevent the body from scratching the edges of the screen).

Does this mean that I'm closing my MBP while it's still hot after shut down? Is this a cause for concern?

You can actually hardly see it but now that I know it's there, I can see it... know what I mean?

Has anyone else seen this on their units?

Thanks.

2. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

That means it is doing its job of cushioning the lid. Rubber will always leave some sort of residue. In some instance it may abrade the contact surface. You can use a cloth damped with dishwashing fluid to clean the contact area. If the marks won't get off , leave it. The last thing you want to do use wear off more of the anodized layer.

3. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Thanks Mad Mac.

Just making sure it's nothing to worry about.

You know how we can get when it comes to our beloved MBPs ;)

4. peppers

peppers Member

In my opinion, that is unusual...but if you post a picture of it for us to see here would help alot.....or better yet go to any apple showroom and compare your MBP with their displays...

5. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Hard Charger. Mad Mac is correct. Our family owns three unibody Macbooks and their rubber gaskets leave residue. Not really a cause for concern since you can easily wipe them off with a soft cloth and water. To keep the rubber from leaving any lines on the aluminum surface is to simply wipe the rubber gasket itself with a damp soft cloth.

6. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

^I agree, it likely isn't the rubber itself but accumulated dirt on the gasket.

7. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Thanks Guys and Gals!

Will see if I can get to post a pic, like I said, it's not readily seen, but it's there.

8. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Just clean the rubber with water/dishwashing liquid solution (mild mix). You don't want to use anything caustic that may deteriorate the rubber.

9. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Thanks Mad Mac. I'll remember that. :)

10. ncarandang

ncarandang Active Member

hi, my rMBP's rubber gasket got whacked out (probably due to age). is there a way to replace it?