Out of warrant MacBook and hairline cracks

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by mindless, Jun 6, 2009.

1. mindless

mindless Member

So i've read here before that Apple has started to address the hairline crack problem even for out of warrant units. Has anyone been able to successfully have theirs repaired locally even if the warranty has expired? My GF's MacBook has a hairline cracks on the edge of her palm rest and and the bottom part of her white sta rosa macbook.

We tried bringing it to A Store last month and the tech guy says we have to pay 7k (11k initially which I found weird) to have it fixed. Furthermore the MacBook's palm rest area has started to discolor and can't be cleaned. Are these fixable even if the 1 year warranty has expired? And what store has successfully honored replacing these defects?

2. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

hey mindless, my officemate had his black macbook palm rest cover replaced without a warranty.. he just called apple hotline and they gave a reference number.. then he just went to senco for the installation for free.. *pooof* a new palm rest and touch pad replaced.. he left a happy and satisfied mac user! :)

3. Alysh

Alysh Member

Hi stevezone, senco replaced the whole top case ba? How out of warranty na ba? Baka naman within the month? As far as i know, if it's out of warranty na, you really have to pay for the cost.

4. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

AFAIK Senco replaced the whole top case, i'm really not sure how long the warranty it out.. i'll ask my officemate about that tomorrow and i'll update you for that.. :)

5. anthonyramos84

Any updates on this? :p

6. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

i almost forgot this thread.. sorry guys.. anyways, he said that his macbook expired for almost 1 month na daw before he called Apple.. he just noticed the hairline crack after the warranty expires.. he's also a philmug member and he's using a black macbook and he bought it in Canada.. try to PM d3cypher for the exact details.. :)

7. anthonyramos84

Another case of a very lucky owner who got a very friendly CS officer? :)

8. mig

mig Active Member

Would anyone know if this is confirmed? My girlfriend's mac has hairline cracks already and she was quoted around 5-6k to replace it when she had it checked before. Its a mid-2007 MB.

Also, which local service center would let her replace the case for free? Thanks!

9. anthonyramos84

I guess if you really want your gf's macbook to be fixed for free, it would be best to call and make a complaint to the hotline and hopefully they will file you for a free repair/replacement by giving you a reference number. :)

10. pammy

pammy New Member

just had my white mb's top case replaced for free. :)

11. shaven

shaven Active Member

they replaced ur macbook topcase (out of warranty)? :)

12. habagat

habagat New Member

1. Hi, what's the number of Apple Philippines' Call Center?

2. Where would you recommend me get the hairline cracks and the wrist pad area replaced/cleaned?

Thanks!

13. lebron6

lebron6 New Member

Asian Hospital & Medical Center, San Juan de Dios
    Hi pammy!
    I have the same problem...may i ask where you had yours replaced? Thanks a lot!

14. pammy

pammy New Member

yes. had it replaced for free. It's already 1 year and 1 month out of warranty. No apple care.

call senco. it's the only one that replaces it for free (i think). Plus, it doesn't take 2-3weeks like the others who even ask you to pay 7k. :)

15. scoobydoo

scoobydoo New Member

My white macbook is of the 2006 vintage. My first issue on cracks was less than six months ago. Back then when I bought my Macbook I did not bother to get Applecare Extended Warranty because I thought that Apple does not churn in so-so products. Was I a sucker. So though out of warranty, I went to inquire at our school's regular IT supplier, they promised to help. A few days afterward they came to tell me that the apple service provided said that repairs for the cracks would cost me 10K. I was sorely disappointed and regretted to not having an applecare. Undaunted I scoured the forums and compiled an armory of forums and blogs regarding the same cracking problem and the responses received. Basically the answer is that Apple will and should fix the problem for free as often as the cracks would appear because this is a known issue, a design flaw. I contacted the school supplier again, provided them the details, and asked them to see to it that their apple service provided gets this baby fixed for free. Within two days, the machine's casing was replaced but only on that part where the cracks were.

Two months afterward cracks started to appear along the area of the palmrest. I reported this once more to our IT supplier. Immediately they picked it up and brought it a new authorized service provider -SENCO LINK. Well they encountered a glitch in proceeding with the replacement, because of being out of warranty and that the Apple Philippines or the Regional Office refused to authorize the replacement. Senco advised me through our supplier to call Apple USA, which I did. I called that same day, but since it was during the long Independence Day Weekend in the States, Apple USA was closed. I had to wait for the next working day. Finally, being able to talk to a live apple tech in the US. I told them my woes. The guy had a simple straightforward answer: "Apple recognizes this as a known issue and therefore user should have no problem having the casing replaced for free even if it is outside warranty and as often as the cracks appear." Whew! That was a relief. I asked for a Case Number, and I was given one without a problem.

The surprise came of course when I told him I am currently in the Philippines and I was asking him to authorize repair which I could then cite to Senco. He said that since the Philippines is not within the region's jurisdiction he could not authorize anything. He even let me talk directly to the tech manager/supervisor he politely gave me the same answer. They did however assure me that I should have no problems with it. I did not argue anymore although deep inside I was peeved as to why I was asked to call Apple USA when in fact they could not do anything in terms of authorizing repair outside their territory. Anyway, I just asked them to note in the Case Number everything they have told me, this one they promised to do and asked me to stay on the phone while they enter the whole thing we have discussed on their system. After 3-4 minutes the apple tech guy said that everything has been entered and wished me good luck. I of coursed thanked him for the time and courtesy. Then I hung up, took us about 45mins. to wrap up. Good thing there was Skype.

I texted our supplier immediately in the night, gave him the Case Number and told him every single detail that the Apple USA tech guy said. Supplier assured me that information would be relayed to Senco first thing in the morning. The next afternoon, the supplier received word from Senco that authorization for repair was received and that they are just waiting for the delivery of the replacement part. That settled it. Last night while watching the premier of Harry Potter, I received a text message from the supplier that they would be picking up from Senco my Macbook White. What a relief. Total turnover time? July 1-17, that is more than two weeks to be exact.

Plenty of lessons learned here but the immediate ones are: "Apple recognizes this as a known issue and therefore user should have no problem having the casing replaced for free even if it is outside warranty and as often as the cracks appear." And second: I will never buy the polycarbonate macbooks anymore. Finally, I am tempted to say something nasty about Apple products, but I will refrain. Hehehe.

16. jpdm

jpdm Member

Great experience with Apple and Senco Link:

My Macbook white (early 2008) developed hairline cracks on the right wristpad area where the topcase meets the outer case a month after my warranty expired (i should have gotten APP). I was hesitant to call apple support but seeing a lot of positive experiences here from my fellow muggers, I changed my mind.

On August 03, 2009 I called Apple Hong Kong (where i bought my mac) After a few minutes of explaining and describing to the very friendly Apple call center agent the problem I was referred to a tech manager who gave me a case number and told me to bring the macbook to any authorized apple service center for replacement of the topcase, free of charge! The tech manager stated that hairline cracks occuring on white macbooks is a "recognized known issue" and the company is willing to replace the cracked part even outside the warranty period. God Bless Apple for that.

On August 4. 2009 I called Senco Link, and was able to talk to Aileen who asked for my Case Number and Macbook Serial Number. It didnt take a couple of minutes for Senco to verify and input into the apple system my case number and to which Aileen informed me that it would take 2 to 3 days for the part to arrive on their shop (from where, i didnt ask). After giving them my contact numbers i started the wait.

On August 6, 2009 I got a call from Carlos of Senco Link informing me that the replacement part for my macbook was ready and I should bring my laptop to their shop (on Salcedo st. Makati) for repair, which would only take 20-30 mins. Since my macbook was just waiting for that call in my car i quickly drove over to Salcedo. Service at Senco was top notch! with extra credits for Aileen and Carlos for the friendly and warm reception.

Total Days from Call to Apple to Replacement of Part = 3 Days
    Total Cost: Php40 (parking at Salcedo St. Carpark)
    Total Happy Mugger: 1

My experience has taught me a few things:
    1. Always buy an APP for peace of mind.
    2. Apple really Cares! (For a big multinational company, their after sales service is Superb!)
    3. The people at Senco are the best!

Thank you Apple! Thank you Senco! and Thank you Aileen and Carlos!

#17 jpdm, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  17. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

brought my macbook to digital walker vmall to complain about the hairline cracks. they advised me that apple doesn't replace casings anymore & said it was a cosmetic defect & has nothing to do w/ how the macbook performs. i told them that them that i read in philmug that apple does replace the casings for free. they just told me to try calling apple & ask for a case # in case apple agrees to replace the casing, & that's when they can replace the casing. i guess ill try bringing it to senco, hopefully ill have a more favorable response.

18. mcblack

mcblack Member

@bugs

I had the same experience also with the same store. They advised me to call up the Apple hotline which I did right away. The representative from Apple's contact center gave me a reference number afterwards, which I forwarded to Digital Walker in VMALL right away. I'm not sure what what the ref. # was for, but I remember the DW representative telling me (that was a couple of days after I gave the ref. #) that Apple does not replace casings (for free; same reason as above). Funny thing is my MB was still under its limited warranty that time.

19. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

^^ ah ok thanks! so did they change it for free? & did you have to leave your macbook?