OSX Install Disc Problem

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Juicyy, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

hi guys, i've been all over the internet for this problem but didn't seem to find any solution :( i am close to giving up.

i just got my macbook back from a harddrive replacement because it recently failed on me (but i did backup so i wasn't too sad about it). so now i'm back to a clean os and everything. problem is, they didn't use the tiger install disc that came with my macbook and installed tiger on their own. my macbook is late 2007 model but still on tiger. now i really want to wipe it clean and use my own install disc but it keeps on rejecting my original install grey disks. no matter how much i restart with the C or D or alt key pressed it really won't work. the cd is still in good condition as i've only used it once since i got my macbook.

any help? thank you so much in advance.

2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I would just like to ask if there is a difference with their tiger and your tiger?

3. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

no difference, but being an OC person i just want it to be from MY install disc which came with my macbook :( plus they gave a stupid name to my account.

oh by the way, the install disc worked on my best friend's macbook but not mine. but any other cd works with mine so this is really confusing me..

4. rdy0329

This is also confusing. Do you and your friend have the same model MacBook?

5. rdy0329

Late 2007 models should have leopard. Too bad you didn't avail of the up to date program that they were offering back then.

6. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

Yes we have the same macbook we bought it 2 days apart but she has the blackbook. I have the Leopard Drop In Kit because I got my macbook late and I need to have Tiger 10.4.11 but i still have 10.4.10.. yup so i have the up to date but it's just an upgrade disc right? i still have to have tiger as my main os.

anyway i tried her install disc on mine and it didn't work either. in conclusion: both my install disc and her install disc works on her but both mine and hers DO NOT work in mine. all other cds work with mine.. so basically i think my superdrive is picky?. i'm really frustrated right now sorry :(

7. rdy0329

Why not use the Leopard install disk. I think it will work. Hope some other people would shed some light into it.

EDIT: Scratch that, you need Tiger to use the UTD Disc right?

Why not take advantage of that and pop in your leopard and click install leopard. It will still have an option to erase and install. which you want. if it requires 10.4.11, then upgrade to 10.4.11 and pop in that Up to date disc.

#7 rdy0329, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  8. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

it's just a drop in kit or an upgrade cd. it doesn't work as an install disc and strictly an upgrade disc that's why it needs 10.4.11 before you upgrade

9. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

Hmmm,, maybe a super drive problem.. so, right now,, you don't have OS X on your Mac.?

10. rdy0329

@ Juiccy, just ypdate your tiger to 10.4.11 and pop in that disc, it will restart to leopard installation and IT WILL HAVE A ERASE AND INSTALL OPTION.

get it? So it still will wipe that tiger partition the service center installed. A little sacrifice of time rather than nothing at all.

If you are really OC then I'd suggest bringing that laptop in for inspection. It might be the repair shop's fault anyway.

11. j6l_hanopol

If you have OS X(Tiger) on you Mac right now, there's on problem upgrading your OS X to Leopard. Just insert that Leopard Upgrade disc then, choose the Archive and Install or the Erase and Install option.

12. rdy0329

Maybe this will help > http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=380408

that is if you have a blank Hard Drive.

@j6l_hanopol:

she needs to upgrade first to 10.4.11 to do that which is what I'm trying to tell her to do from the start so hat she can upgrade to Leopard.

#12 rdy0329, Mar 21, 2009
  13. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

Thanks so much for the help guys, especially to rdy0329 :) i'm giving up and sticking with this tiger instead of fussing myself over. i'm just gonna go ahead and do the leopard upgrade. as for the superdrive, if the problem persists with other cds and dvds i'm gonna bring it again to the repair center.. but maybe not in the next coming weeks because a hefty amount has just been spent on the hardrive replacement haha.

again, thank you soooo much for the help. philmug is more reliable for me than the other mac sites, i had a huge headache with em. best to move on :)

14. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Your CDs worked on your friend's MB? Why is it that when i used my white MB's CDs on my black on, it said: OS X cannot be installed on this Mac.

15. rdy0329

Glad to have helped. Slow day for me :D

16. j6l_hanopol

@rdy

Leopard Upgrade disc can possible be installed even on a 10.4.8 OS X. Which means that I'm trying to say is, even if you don't update your Tiger OS X to its 10.4.11, you can possibly install the Leopard. Based from my experience.

by the way, great tip you found there on the forums.macrumors.com

#16 j6l_hanopol, Mar 21, 2009
  17. rdy0329

That's what google can do. I also knew that you can upgrade since leopard came out even before 10.4.11 so it won't be much of a limitation. All's well that ends well