OS X on a non-Apple Computer

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by koko, Dec 26, 2006.

1. koko

koko Guest

I'm recently in contact with a guy in the UK and he recently made a Core Duo powered Gigabyte motherboard enclosed in a G5 case running Tiger. I'll give the link after he posted it in the net. Here is his message:

"Hi Kenji,

Yes I am modding this myself and I am typing this from the hackintosh now. I have a G5 case from fleabay to transfer the parts into, (they are in a PC case at the mo) but I am waiting for some parts to arrive that I have ordered. So latter part of the Christmas hols and I will move forward on this. I have to say, the hardware rocks, it's really fast.

Hardware:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 with Dual Core core duo
    Graphics Card: 7900 GS PCI-E at the moment, running dual Apple 20" Cinema Displays.
    Sound: Onboard & Working
    Ethernet: Onboard & working
    USB 2: 10 PORTS
    FW400
    FW800
    Pioneer DVR 111D DVD Writer.

This board will accept a Quad core (when the price drops) for some real action! "

So we can have a near MacPro for a lower price;)

2. Lakan

Lakan Member

Re: Hackintosh

Great! Keep innovating and exploring beyond the boundaries of current technology.

3. khairul

khairul Member

4. groundglass24

groundglass24 New Member

or the osx86 circuit, in some obscure garage, i know of some who already got the deadmoo bittorrent seed
    and is trying to run tiger on some white box..for educational purposes.

5. czar

czar Guest

ahehehe ive been running hackintosh since october :D

6. koko

koko Guest

aheheheehee, yeh i know a lot of people have been running hackintosh but this is a DIFFERENT HACKINTOSH. I swear, even Apple engineers and techs would drool. wait and see;)

7. gasman

gasman Member

Running Tiger on a PC or non-Mac hardware

Somebody told me that if you can run Mac OS 10.4 aka Tiger on a non-Mac machine that is if you cannot afford a mac same spec as macbook for P59K (i.e. Bluenotebook) Has anybody tried installing Mac OS X on a PC?:eek:

8. jps444

jps444 Active Member

Re: Runnig Tiger on a PC or non-Mac hardware

my friend has tiger installed in his athlon pc based machine. showed me some screen shots of it also. he's quite fond of it actually.

9. quietcynic

quietcynic Member

I've installed it on a PC before, for kicks, but I found that it was pretty unstable. It is achieved through an illegally hacked disk image, and because PhilMUG does not advocate piracy, I cannot recommend you try it. To be honest, even if that weren't the case, I wouldn't recommend that you try it. Ultimately, it's just not the same experience, and if you can't rely on it for everyday use, it seems to me to be a pretty useless setup.

10. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

it works...but you'll have problems with drivers etc.

11. stanley

stanley Guest

Lucky for you if you can install Mac OS in a PC system. It really works but not it is hardware- specific. I tried to set it up on 3 PC system in the office but only one is successful. Another one was installed but got NO audio.

Good luck to doing this techie stuff but I believe you will not be productive with it. You better off invest in a REAL MAC machine and let it earn some grand!

12. yehyeh_tisay

yehyeh_tisay Guest

i bought a copy of the Mac OS for PC a few months back. unfortunely because a friend is borrowing my PC, i haven't been able to test it...he's hoping if i can get macOS to work on PC hardware, he'll go with that...i don't recommend it myself..just the thought of Mac OS on PC hardware doesn't kick my tastes..but i aint giving up convincing him to just buy a mac...

13. Reggie

Reggie Member

14. Maccess

Maccess Active Member

I think it is difficult to find a PC WITH THE SAME SPEC as a Mac at a lower price, unless you're talking about a PC loaded with an unlicensed commercial operating system. The blue notebook only appears cheaper because it doesn't have a bundled OS, add the price of XP or Vista, and it is approximately the same price. Macs are budnled with a licensed OS: Mac OSX. Ofcourse, you cannot legally install Mac OS X on a non-Apple authorized computer.

#14 Maccess, Aug 14, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  15. yehyeh_tisay

yehyeh_tisay Guest

i agree with you there maccess..it is quite difficult to find/build a PC version of a Mac..this friend of mine was hoping i could build him a PC form of a mac pro...i managed to find suitable hardware but still not comfortable in doing it...lucky he still deciding if a iMac will be fine with him to do basic audio production on

16. josecarlo1129

josecarlo1129 Active Member

same here, can't imagine it running through the other one. it's just that i can't feel it, perhaps..maybe.=)

17. yehyeh_tisay

yehyeh_tisay Guest

i can't feel it at all...i run vista through parallels sometimes and that's weird enough to see windows on apple hardware..how much more if it was Mac OSX on PC hardware :D

18. josecarlo1129

josecarlo1129 Active Member

although, im using it the other way around rather the other-other way around(hehehe)
    'cause there are some softwares that really rely on windows(window-based programs, like autodesk 3d softwares and the likes which in lieu i get my living and thus really have no choice at all, hehehe). although recently i purchased parallel desktop. i could virtually switch onto the other without leaving my beloved tiger=)

19. yehyeh_tisay

yehyeh_tisay Guest

hehe nothing beats Mac OSX i've hardly used windows since ive had to switch systems for work purposes...honestly i don't regret it...yet there are just some programs on windows that are not as good as the mac version..so better we give windows a better home...rather than giving tiger a worst one :D

20. cryptonomikon

cryptonomikon Member

We tried "Hackintosh" in a Dell laptop -- it installed but encountered driver problems. Also note minimum hardware requirements or it'll really crawl (use at least 2 MB memory, methinks)! Apple frowns upon this adventurism :)