OS X Leopard won't install on MacBook

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Mad Mac, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I get get "OS X cannot be installed on this computer" message when booting with installer disk. It tells me to check system requirements of my cd. Geez this is a MacBook. Don't they go hand in hand? What am I missing? Thanks.

2. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Did your installer disc come with the Macbook? Leopard Installer discs from other systems (iMac, MacMini,MBA, etc.) won't work with the Macbook. It's system-specific.

3. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

start your macbook into target disk. connect it via firewire to the other mac. put the installer into the other mac. choose the target disk as your install hdd.

4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Will this circumvent the system specific concern?

5. RommelReyes

RommelReyes Active Member

this means you're installing from a disc that's not the retail (universal) version. fcdiesta is correct. you can do what yoh_hectic is suggesting, but i doubt if that's legal.

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

It won't install using Target Disk mode. It tells me to make an Apple Partition. However I cannot find that in Disk Utility.

7. mizizlim

mizizlim Member

hello...hope you don't mind if i revive this post...

so is it possible to install a leopard using the installer that came with a friend's macbook? i also own a macbook but it's running on tiger and i want to upgrade to leopard. is it possble?

8. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

It has to be the exact same MacBook model. Since Apple regularly refreshes their product lines, specs change rapidly between models so the hardware-specific OSX Installer for the 2007 MacBook will not work on a 2008 one. It might be better for you to buy the retail version.

9. mizizlim

mizizlim Member

oh that's why...sheesh...thanks for the info. :)

10. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Hi Mizizlim, to answer your question (which you have posted in two other threads aside from this one), your best bet would be to get hold of the Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.4) which sells in the Philippine AppleStore for P6,690 (with educational discount).

You mentioned in the other thread that you have a friend who has the same specs as your MacBook. You can try and the worst that can happen is that your machine will reject the installation. If you succeed, then you'll have to consider thoughtfully that the action itself is illegal…

11. busrider

busrider Member

i also tried to re-install OSX on a friend's earlier macbook using the installation disc that came w/ my 2008 MB. it won't continue w/ d installation after the language selection. he brought the unit to a PMC and his problem was solved

12. mizizlim

mizizlim Member

pardon my ignorance, but what's a PMC?

13. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

power mac center :)