OS X El Capitan

Discussion in 'El Capitan (10.11)' started by johannes, Jun 9, 2015.

1. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 8.42.41 AM.png

I'm impressed with the split screen feature of El Capiatan, really useful for me. I'm using the 2016 Office for Mac.

magnus likes this.
  2. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Airdrop seems to be working fine now (also uppdated iPad and iPhone to iOS 9.2). Excel 2016 scrolling issues solved (with the latest MS Office updates). Still observing mail, finder and notifications.

3. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I feel I have an obligation to update people on my El Capitan experience, especially because of the USB issues.

I got a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt connector so I could use my Drobo without it dropping (It was dropping constantly using the USB connection under 10.11.1).

The Drobo did not drop, but then my iMac 5k Retina 27" would sleep and not wake up anymore.

Fast forward to today, updated to 10.11.2.

I've been backing up using a USB 3.0 Drive for the past 5 hours and it hasn't dropped... yet. Will leave it on overnight.

Got back from a jog and the iMac fell asleep, and woke up easily with the Drobo connected via firewire-thunderbolt and the hard drive connected via USB 3.

Let's see what happens when I wake up tomorrow morning.

4. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

and...

it seems 10.11.2 fixed the USB hard drive issues and other small gremlins. yay!!!

hitme64 likes this.
  5. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for the feedback on the external hard drive issues. Glad that it seems that it's been fixed. Will probably move to El C after Xmas. I've got that week free.

6. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

Same. I'll give it until after the holidays before taking the plunge. That is, if there are no more reported USB issues. :)

7. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

Update: users over on MacRumors are saying that they are still having USB issues with the latest update.

8. VicB

What's the experience of our Philmuggers who have 10.11.2?

9. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

10.11.2 so far so good. Haven't experienced any woes as before. Still keeping my fingers crossed though. Did a clean install with 10.11.1 after a disaster of an update from Yosemite. Maybe that did the trick. I still think the entire upgrade to El Cap and its minute features/improvements is not worth all the trouble and disappointments.

Since switching to mac starting with Lion, El Capitan is, in my opinion, the crapiest of all Mac OS.

#329 makintosh, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    wulf likes this.
  10. JayShawn

JayShawn Member

10.11.1 was a pain in the xxx. i hated it as it turned my wifi super picky. i would not be able to pickup the wifi signal on certain routers even when i am besides it and my iPhone and iPad was connecting very well. and i updated on the second day of its release! network eyes reports bad or no connection for hours. tried SMC and PRAM rest, nada. been trying to update to 10.11.2 for a long time already but i would get painfully close to finishing the update then drop the connection.

today i left my rMBP on download at home, it said 18 hours to completion. when i got back 30 minutes later, update was finished, and wifi is very stable green all the time. :)

this experience left me a bit wary. will wait till i update OSX (and iOS), see if there are bugs and wait for the updates. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

wulf likes this.
  11. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

in the event that i do upgrade to El Capitan, i'll probably do a full re-install. i most likely will still upgrade because i want full functionality for Photos (live photos) and the upgraded Notes app.

12. VicB

Thanks for the comments, guys. Will wait until March next year to upgrade. If I have time over the Christmas holidays, I may install El C on a spare external HD I've got on hand just to fool around with it. Just hope that the issues with external HDs have been addressed.

13. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks to 10.11.2, all of my gripes have been fixed—namely USB connectivity and rebooting problems—and El Capitan is working as flawlessly as Yosemite was before. At least that's how it is for me. I just made the plunge to El Cap with the 10.11.2 beta, and now it's officially released everything's fine. But I understand a few people are still experiencing problems.

14. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

The 10.11.2 upgrade has been great! Airdrop now fully working (with an upgraded iOS 9.2). There's a lot less beach balls with apps like Sketchup, and it has been noticeably more snappy than 10.11.1. USB issues have also been fixed for me.

15. Abu_Gadu

Abu_Gadu Member

Still can't access my WD Elements drive :(

16. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

Any issues with SEAGATE HD?

17. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Some WD drives can't be detected. Paragon NTFS indicates it is mounted but not showing in Finder. Had to unmount and re-mount it work. Just a moment ago El Capitan crashed and caused a reboot. The startup chime sounded like it was choking. Report logs indicate to a possible memory leak in Safari, which along with Mail are the only apps open that time.

18. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

My new iP6S+ with iOS 9.2 can't airdrop to my mba :( even icloud sync is acting up :(

19. Kleithxx

Kleithxx PhilMUG Addict Member

Have you tried restarting your phone? :) That did the trick for me. :D

20. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Yes, but it didn't solve the problem.