OS X Damaged after Power Loss

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Mad Mac, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

My bro was watching a video using the ninjavideo applet. Ignoring low batt warnings, the Mac died. After it was charged and booted up, Firefox graphics was messed up, Safari window won't launch, Stacks has crazy flickers, hdd icon won't appear on desktop even if settings allowed them to. I had no choice but to reinstall OS X. I am interested to know why it was damaged. This is the first time I encountered this. I've had blackouts before and OS X was fine. I am a bit insecure. I am curious too why the Mac didn't sleep first.

2. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

wow mad mac, i do feel sorry for you, its quite tedious to do a reinstallation again, but im afraid the low battery warning is already there and that means OSX haven't had a chance to go on hibernate mode, what im afraid more is the damage it might have done to your hard disk, just think of it running at 5K to 7K rpm and then a sudden stop with the head falling on it, might create a bad sector, i suggest next time to heed the low battery warning, prevention is always better than cure, good luck!

3. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

I would have tried using DiskWarrior first, it has solved at least 3 incidents in my unbootable/unstable OS X situations. Also, I would have tried Firewire Target Disk mode, and do a repair permissions of your mac's HDD using another mac.

the ninjavideo applet might be a 3rd party software that prevented OS X from hibernating properly. also, I noticed playing videos sometimes prevent OS X from hibernating, just as torrent downloaders prevent OS X from shutting down.

4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Good point on video apps preventing hibernation. It makes sense. Well nothing I could do now. It has a fresh installation. But now I know the reason or possible reason why it didn't sleep. I also got a grip on why it got damaged, thank too, [email protected]

5. jlerojo

jlerojo Member

My daughter also has a nasty habit of draining my battery on my MBP when there is a blackout(now she can only use it when im around). . . next time when watching a video or playing games plug it in. . I always leave mine plugged in 24/7 and sleeping my MBP instead of shutting down. I only use the bateries when there is a blackout or routinely use it unplugged at least once or twice a week just to "keep the juice flowing". . I never let my MBP battery level below 70 to 50% unless I really need to use it. I never wait for the battery warning to activate, plug it in. . its much better for your batteries.

My two cents. .

6. Tr00per

Tr00per Member

This may serve as a lesson to all of us. Never watch video's on a mac when it's on battery power or running third party apps. Haha. :)

7. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

I'm afraid what you're doing is the complete opposite of the proper way of maintaining the batteries. But hey, to each his own.

My two cents.

8. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

9. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Those Apple info are common knowledge to us RC helicopter folks.

• Use packs regularly
    • prolonged storage at 45-50% charge
    • Use only 80% of pack's capacity
    • Keep in fire proof containers. This is no joke, we treat them like bombs!

Li-Poly bits:

• They don't like extreme temps. For us, that means excessive heat (A/c rooms are better for your Mac)
    • They start degrading right after manufacture (you can actually get a lousy brand new pack, one that had been on the shelf too long)
    • They heat up with excessive amp draw. Avoid too many accessories on usb ports when on batt power. Exploit your power saving settings.
    • Discharge a bad pack before disposing. A week or two in a salt water solution will deplete it completely.

10. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@Mad Mac: When was the last time you calibrated the battery? Any chance OSX thought there was much more power left than was actually available due to a discrepancy from not calibrating?

11. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Well, that was the intention, to wear down the battery until it sleeps so it would calibrate. It did not. Unfortunately, OS X was damaged.

12. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

@Mad Mac: I think this is an old "technique" for troubleshooting OS X problems - what you do is have a separate admin account as well as a "guest" account on your mac. The next time your settings seem "funky", try logging in your guest account and see if it encounters the same problems. If it doesn't, log in to your spare admin account and repair disk permissions via disk utility to try to hopefully fix the problem/s.

This should hopefully keep you from having to reinstall the OS. :D

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

That was the first thing I did to diagnose the problem. The problem in the guest account was the same. Reinstallation was the quickest way to get the Mac back online. It wasn't easy but after a few hours it was ok again.

14. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

......reinstallation of OSX is a breeze. I did mine recently with my MBA. Now everything is snappy as day one.

I've had a battery run-down before while watching youtubes and web surfing. Nothing bad happened, except the trackpad froze and the keyboard was unresponsive (when I restarted). So, I had to do a hard-reboot via the power button to normalize the MBA. No big deal.

15. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I concur. Thats is why I did not hesitate. I had Time Machine backup. Since my debugging skills were limited, reinstallation of OS X was the fastest way to get the Mac back on track, Jack :)