OS 9 in intelcore

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by vincent, Jan 19, 2007.

1. vincent

vincent New Member

How OS 9 will work in intelcore Mac?

2. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

Will Intel-based Macs run OS 9? There is an article in Wikipedia that says new Intel-based machines from Apple will not run Mac OS 9.

3. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Other than having no choice why would anyone want to run OS9? It's almost as bad as Windows and that isnt saying much.

4. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Because some high end RIP programs for big printing machines need OS 9

5. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

If it is still using OS9 then it isn't high-end anymore. OS X's been with us for over half a decade already.

6. Provboy

Supporter

Those printers cost 2-3 million pesos each. High end doesn't always mean it uses the latest technology.

Some people here post like they know everything. Go figure

#6 Provboy, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  7. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Looks like I hurt someone's feelings. Really sorry dude but 2-3M isnt that much of a big deal these days and doesnt make it automatically "high end" by any definition.

#7 tweek, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  8. abcdee

abcdee Member

:rolleyes:

9. Provboy

Supporter

High end is relative to the product my friend. Defining high end purely on its monetary value is misleading.

For example, MontBlanc pens are high high end, but they don't cost more than a million I think.

The most powerful Mac Pro configuration amounts to $16000 (I think), but it is high end.

It's relative. For digital printers, 600-800k is the norm, so 3 mil is high enough.

No feelings were hurt though, I'm just surprised :p

And to get back on topic, There's still no way to install OS 9 on Intel Macs.

10. vincent

vincent New Member

i'm working in color separation, still some client using os 9 application. Why mr. jobs jump into conclusion?

11. elbert

elbert Active Member

tweek, I don't expect you to understand this, but I have clients that have no choice but to run OS 9 because of certain applications. I resent your statement that OS 9 as being 'almost as bad as Windows'. In fact, it's not bad at all; I still believe it's a great OS. It's just that most of us don't have a use for it today. Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean to say it's bad (don't worry, you didn't hurt my feelings either).

vincent, the only way you can run OS 9 is to use a PowerPC based machine. I haven't found a workable solution for Intel based Macs. The only solution I can think of is Windows. If your equipment is Windows compatible, then run Parallels or Bootcamp with it. But as you said, it's the client who is using the OS 9 application. You'll really need a PPC based Mac as a solution.