OpenOffice.org works! Office suite for Macs

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Sound-Weavers.com, May 11, 2009.

1. Sound-Weavers.com

Hi gang,

Just want to share info that OpenOffice.org 3.0's Aqua Intel package works really well on Mac OSX from 10.4 to 10.5

I was looking for an office app but did not want to shell out fo Microsoft Office for Mac, I already use OpenOffice.org on my Windows systems but the last I checked it out for the Mac the installation was tricky - not anymore, the Aqua package is simple - just drag the installer to the Applications folder.

I just checked my Excel spreadsheets with some complicated formulas and they all work.

OpenOffice.org is free and open source. A very viable alternative to paid software options.

2. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

OpenOffice 3.1 is now out.

3. iFeebzz

iFeebzz Member

Does this mean I don't need to buy Office for Mac software? That I can work with my office documents on my mac? Is this downloadable only? thanks!

4. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

It's not only downloadable. Some PC vendors give installers however, as Mac users, our only option is to download.

This is a really good alternative to Office for Mac. It has less bells and whistles but it works really good. :)

5. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

6. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I am using OpenOffice since I started with mac. I'm a heavy user of excel and would still plan to get MacOffice. Probably try it then buy it. There are functionalities in OpenOffice that's not friendly as excel especially the keyboard shortcuts. I am very comfortable doing though in Microsoft's.

7. whytee

whytee Member

I'm also a heavy excel user and I've experienced some performance issues with OpenOffice Calc particularly when you have a spreadsheet with hundreds of cells.

Anyway, for spreadsheets, I still use Excel, but for work that doesn't require that I submit stuff to clients in the usual Office format, I use open office on my windows and linux based machines, and Neo Office on the mac.

NeoOffice is free to download as well. The developers of NeoOffice take the open office source code and customize it specifically for the Mac. I don't know what the differences are between OpenOffice and NeoOffice but I use NeoOffice simply because it's really built for macs.

You may want to try it out:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

8. iFeebzz

iFeebzz Member

thanks! i will try this with my mac.. just a newbie here. :)

9. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

I currently have iWork 09 but used to use OpenOffice in Linux.

While I would love to go with iWork all the way, my present experience is that I would still need another MS Office type software as a back up. OpenOffice would fit the bill.

If I install OpenOffice in my Mac, will it take over iWork as the default office application? I would still prefer to use iWork whenever possible. ;)

10. mystavros

mystavros Member

you can always configure your settings to use iWork as the default application

11. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Thanks mystavros!

That helps. :)

12. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Which has smaller footprint, iWork 09, Openoffice, or MS Office: Mac 2008?

13. makinao

makinao Active Member

NeoOffice: 447.2mb
    iWork09: 691mb
    MS Office 08: 955.5mb

14. yellowcheese

yellowcheese Member

hi. I just want to ask if there's anyone of you here who've encountered problems with open office text document whenever you insert photos in it. I tried inserting some photos in my file then save it. Just before saving it, everything seems ok but when I tried opening the file to check if its okay, the photos are gone already. :(
    anyone knows what went wrong?

15. luisito

luisito Member

I'm now using OpenOffice instead of buying MS Office. I believe it's a really good free alternative.

16. johnnydu

johnnydu Member

Open Office has always been an ample Linux/Unix substitute for MS Office - it was no surprise that they ported this to Mac OS X and is really a good enough substitute for casual office software users

I use Open Office because there is no reason for me to spend too much on office software since I mostly do software development work - I usually use only word and excel for basic stuff.

17. saibot

saibot Member

aws.. i thought its libreoffice now?... for mac word processing i use bean(lean and mean) and for others neooffice(much faster the openoffice)...

18. maracid

maracid Member

Thanks for the tip on LibreOffice and Open Office for Mac. I use NeoOffice as my office suite :)

19. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice. It's being developed by many programmers who originally worked on OpenOffice but jumped ship after Oracle bought Sun due to the uncertainty of how Oracle will handle open-source projects. If I had to choose which to go with now, I'd go with LibreOffice, its future looks like it's a little more secure than OpenOffice's right now.

20. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Bad news is that OS X Lion won't ship with Java. Let's hope Oracle makes one for OS X Lion.