online store or authorized reseller?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by kari, Aug 7, 2020.

1. kari

kari New Member

this is my first time contemplating upon buying an apple product, and i'm still debating whether i should buy from their official site or buy at the only reseller near me, which is the Power Mac Center. (forgive me for writing such a long post in advance, a reply would be nice)

what's my situation?
    i'm an upcoming college freshman and i'm planning to use ipad pro along with the accessories like apple pencil and airpods pro for productivity.

my dillema?
    since i'm going to cost a fortune i'm quite anxious buying from both sides. why?
    PMC = i don't fully trust resellers,
    1.) i'm worried that i'll be pouring my money on a counterfeit :(
    2.) Education prices are only avaiable on certain branches, and unfortunately we are not included.
    3.) the customer service isn't that great
    4.) i still can't go outside bc we are still on a lockdown and minors aren't allowed to wander off the city, so my parents will be the one who'll buy it for me and they are quite not the techy type :(

apple.ph =
    1.) i'm worried that there will be scratches. factory defects are also common (from what i've heard) and dealing with them like returning the product is a big hassle
    2.) idk much about like the hidden fees, how much is often added? i'm planning to buy ipad pro 2020, airpods pro, apple pencil, 2m cord, and multiport. will the additional hidden fees reach 3k? :((

i'm also open to any tips that you may give to a newbie like me
    (also is the apple care worth it? i'm planning to buy some for the airpods and ipad pro)

thank you for reading up to this end, i hope you can help me decide, it would really help me a lot and i look forward into becoming part of this community^^

2. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Hello! Welcome to PhilMUG.

I'll try to share my insights between the two options to help you with your first Apple purchase.

Apple Authorized Resellers
    - There are many AARs in the country, and Power Mac Center is just one of them.
    - AARs do not sell counterfeit items. You can be 100% sure about this. I've never heard of an AAR selling counterfeits.
    - On Education Pricing: it would be best if you can call different branches of AARs near you to inquire. If the person you're talking to says no, politely ask for a manager. It could be that the sales agent is just not aware of the policy.
    - On customer service: yeah it's a mixed basket.
    - Most AARs make you open the product in their store. For me, this process ruins the whole experience.

Apple Online Store
    - On defects: I don't have an experience with returning Apple products purchased directly from their website, but I believe requesting for a return and exchange wouldn't be that difficult. Apple is known to provide great customer service.
    - Education pricing is available for iPad and Mac.
    - There are no hidden fees. Delivery is free for all orders. What you see is what you pay.
    - Enter your postal or zip code before placing your order to check for the estimate delivery lead time. It's quite common for orders to take a few weeks to arrive at your doorstep.
    - If you're planning to use a credit card, you're going to have to look elsewhere. Apple does not yet offer financing plans online. AARs do.
    - Orders from Apple arrive in a thick cardboard box and you'll be the first to really unbox it.

If you can wait a few weeks, I suggest getting your goods directly from Apple at their online store.

kari and raypin like this.
  3. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

My personal advice is that hold off in your purchase.

If you feel forced into something you will never fully enjoy it.

Now, i do not claim to be an expert. But whatever you are using right now to post this message should carry you until you can buy your computer yourself without any doubts. Just bear down and make do.

Nope..as far as my purchases with apple ph no problems, what you see is what you pay nothing more.

Bit puzzled as nowadays theres always more than one store you can buy apple products. As well as your store not offering a discount when other branches do.

If you didnt know you'll get a better price if you deal with cash...or the credit cards equivalent...

Applecare is basically insurance direct from apple. Now only you can answer if its worth it.

kari likes this.
  4. kari

kari New Member

thank you very much!!! this really helped me. i'll be sticking on buying through the online store.<3

5. kari

kari New Member

thank you for your advice, i did tons of research before deciding so i think buying it will be a great investment^^

6. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

I don't usually open what i bought on AARs but to each their own naman.

just tell your parents not to be talked into buying something else that you have asked them to buy for you. I know that for sure you already did your research and set on buying a specific product(s). just ask your parents to politely decline any upsells from the AAR's salesperson.

kari likes this.
  7. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

There’s a thread here about buying from the online store where many have said that delivery takes much longer now. If you really need it by a certain time, the AAR may be the way to go

kari likes this.