On the fence?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ivin, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ivin

ivin Active Member

hey guys can anyone care to enlighten me on should i get an apple watch?

I've used the AW series 1 before but had terrible experience with its slow software and terrible battery life so i sold it. Now I've been reading that the AW series 5 has a good performance and very good battery life.
    now I'm on the fence on getting one. I'm just worried if it would displace my analog watches, the AW life span (yearly upgrade and battery life) and its service support here in the philippines.

and if i should be ever to get one would i go with the series 3 (considering there’s gonna be and upgrade this year) or the apple watch 5?

thanks for your opinions

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...the Apple Watch (or any smartwatch) is disposable. It lasts 2 to 4 years before it becomes impractical to use because of battery deterioration. So, I think of it in terms of how much does it cost to own. The Watch Series 3 costs Php 12k. Assuming minimum of two years of ownership, it costs only Php 16 per day to own. Then there's residual value, say, 25% of original cost or around php3k, which you can use to pay for your next Watch. In other words, it is dirt cheap to own compared to a quality analog swiss mechanical. Going for the Series 3 is the best value for money Watch.

Regarding the Series 5. Should you go for it? It depends on your needs. Are you a heavy smartwatch user? Do you need the ECG function? Is always-on time display non-negotiable? If yes on all 3, them go for the Series 5.

If not, stick with the Series 3, use it for 2 years then upgrade to the Series 5 and enjoy its much lower price cost of ownership, 2 years from now. In other words, you can stay behind the upgrade curve and keep cost of ownership to a minimum.

Now, if money is not an issue, wait for the Watch 6 this September and upgrade yearly thereafter. There's also a case to be made for this option: you get the latest and greatest smartwatch on the planet on a yearly basis and suffer less depreciation (1 year is better than 2 years) when trade-in time comes.

#3 raypin, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    dasaint, Ejaxene, docjbr and 2 others like this.
  4. ivin

ivin Active Member

thanks sir raypin, would take this into consideration. I guess it really boils down on how do you use your watch.

raypin likes this.
  5. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

The way you wrote this makes it appear you're willing to wait for Series 6. So i'd do that.

6. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

if you want to test the waters, get Series 3.
    • It has all the smartwatch basics nailed down
    • It's cheap enough that you won't feel bad about the purchase
    • To put things in perspective, Apple Watch Series 3 does more functionally than AirPods Pro (which costs 3k more).
    If you want to commit to the Smartwatch Life and use your watch longer, wait for Series 6 which is sure to add processor improvements among other new features.
    • Series 6 would get more updates down the line so you won't have to upgrade that often = lower cost of ownership.

ivin likes this.
  7. ivin

ivin Active Member

Thank for the inputs guys.
    Really appreciate it, i dont know what holding me back haha.

maybe the usefulness over value?

8. mree

mree Well-Known Member

Questions:
    1. Why do you even want an Apple Watch?
    2. How much are you willing to spend on a wearable?
    3. Do you mind buying a brand new gadget that's already nearing its obsolescence?

There are lots of videos in YouTube that differentiates Series 3 and 5. Most likely, you'll find what you're looking for in those videos, plus from the comments of people who actually switched or bought one over the other.

Since you said you used to own a series 1, and didn't like how slow it was, maybe getting something that's already 2 generations old is not the best thing to do. A few more upgrades and who knows, it may be as slow as the series 0 or 1 that you experienced in the past. So get the latest.

ivin likes this.
  9. ivin

ivin Active Member

in your opinions, at this point knowing in 6-8 months
    is it worth it for value get the AW series 5 now and use it for the long run
    or wait for AW 6?

10. raypin

Mm...toss coin ka na lang. We ve already given our opinions regarding your issue.

rdy0329 likes this.
  11. ivin

ivin Active Member

Bit the bullet.

Bought series 5. Haha!
    Next up series 7, hopefully.

thanks for all the inputs!

h2obaby, rdy0329 and Ghibli like this.
  12. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Series 5 is a great iteration of the apple watch. The next version will probably not have substantial changes from the previous version, so I would expect the use of Series 5 to last atleast for two generations without the feel of obsolete.

13. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm still rocking my Series 0, almost five years after the AW was first launched. And I use the AW more, and for more things, than anyone I know.

If it lasts five more years I'll be pleased, as I would then not think of it as that disposable. Otherwise every cent I put into a new AW would be funds that could have gone to another mechanical watch, which I could hand down.

hitme64 likes this.
  14. hitme64

My Series 0 is actually still alive and kicking, albeit with a myriad of scratches all over actually. It still tells time and other things. The only peeve I have is all its markings on the back face are gone, even the Apple logo. I had forgotten to remove it once when I took a short swim and was surprised that it still works (even if its non-waterproof by all accounts). I think the Spigen face cover helped a bit.

The Series 5 has been my daily beater now and I have hidden all my other mechanical watches because of it. Maybe if the Series 6 comes out I will hang on to the 5 for a longer time because one does not need another one when he’s retired, and old.

SE20 likes this.
  15. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

To the users here of apple watch of more than 2 years, hows the battery life of your aw? Does it deteriorate that badly?
    Does a fully charge apple watch could still last for a day after more than 2 - 3 yrs of used?

16. raypin

Mm...I ve had 3 Watches to date: series 0 bought 4 years ago and however slow and obsolete still gives me around 6 to 8 hours, light use. I still keep it around as my night watch and alarm. My Series 4 which I held on for a year of use before giving it and it gave me around a day to a day and a half of use. My Series 5 bought October of last year easily lasts 2 days (almost).

My personal conclusion from the 3 Watches that I ve used is the Watch will still give you at least a day of use after 2 years of moderate use. Two, unless you live in the barren desert of the Sahara, battery life should not be a major concern because we all recharge our devices on a daily basis or two and recharging options are readily available.

Now if you are a really heavy user of the Watch or plan to, I suggest buying two Apple Watches to give you 24/7 usage option.

My advice is don’t overthink. Use the Watch as much as you want, recharge it anytime, and use it again until the battery health runs down to make it impractical to use and, based on my experience, it should serve you well for the next two years or longer.

hitme64 likes this.
  17. hitme64

Regardless how long it takes for the AW5 to last (usually 2 days tops) I still recharge it every night I go to bed, which is the only time I remove the watch from my wrist. I walk, jog, bath, work, surf, fix, nap, eat, and do almost everything with the watch on. To say that the AW is just an accessory that tells time is overemphasizing it. Mostly, Activity, Calendar, Messages, Heart, and ECG are the usual apps that I use. You don’t get to see how heavy or light you use the AW until you get into its routine, but just like any other watch, auto or mechanical, it’s the one thing you look into for Time. And I do that almost 30 times an hour because that’s what it is actually. It isn’t just bling like most people would say (for that you get a Rolex or Omega). It’s a watch and it’s suppose to tell time. It just has other things it can do that makes it stand out.

vtf, raypin and bacchus_3 like this.
  18. vtf

vtf Active Member

sold my AW3 a month ago. i was a heavy user but battery hardly deteriorated after 2 years

raypin likes this.
  19. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I still use my Series 0, bought it almost five years ago. I need to do mid-day charging, so yeah, battery has aged. However, I observe that I use my AW more than anyone uses theirs.

raypin likes this.
  20. ivin

ivin Active Member

Hows taking a bath with your apple watch? Do you do it every day? Haha