On Portable Hotspots - Traveling to HK

Discussion in 'General OT' started by oj88, Nov 14, 2018.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

On most of my previous travels, I used my phone's data plan for internet access. I did so because it was very convenient. In other words, other than selecting the correct carrier that Globe is a partner to, I just use my phone like I would here at home.

But looking at how Globe charges roaming data nowadays, it forced me to explore rent-a-hotspot services. Anyway, long story short, I am considering KKDay. Rates are quite low.... P880 for 5-days... all-in.

In contrast, Globe charges P599 per day!

But before I pull the trigger, I just want to know from people who have already used it if this service is up to snuff. I mean, it's good that it's cheap, but is it reliable (ie. 4G/LTE connection reliability, data throughput, etc.)

vic2rp likes this.
  2. vrl29

vrl29 Member

i would like to provide my 2 cents on this topic...

we just visited taiwan this November 2018, and we looked into several options for the pocket wifi rental. PAL has a "PAL roaming" pocket wifi device that charges about $8 per day, but can only be availed if you will be flying out of PH via PAL. eventually we settled for kkday's pocket wifi rental service for 5 days (at around Php88/day).

at first we were a bit skeptic because of the very cheap price, but it was gone the moment we used the device. internet speeds are reliable (hovering aroung 15MBps-40MBps). and it has good signal in the areas that we visited.

lastly, the battery life of the pocket wifi lasted from 6-8 hours, with 3-5 devices being connected. we didn't even have to use our backup power banks.

the pickup and dropoff location of the pocket wifi rental is just in the airport, so there was no hassle in getting and returning the unit. since it was a rental, i provided my credit card details to the booth as a sort of guarantee in case the device gets damaged/lost.

i'm pretty sure that HK will have fast wifi as well (was able to travel there before and there is no buffering of videos in FB during scrolling). i humbly suggest you go for the rental and let us know how it goes...

#2 vrl29, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    oj88 likes this.
  3. oj88

Alright... booking their service now. Thanks.

4. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

hk's mobile data is light years ahead of ph when it comes to overall experience. we have used klook instead of kkday due to klook being more popular at hk.

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...sinabi mo. Last 10 trips to HK, never ,ever, never, ever, never, ever suffered crappy mobile internet service anywhere in HK from Lantao to Kwong Tong, from the New Territories to Stanley, from the heights of Ngong Ping to the depths of the cross-harbor undersea tunnels.

I prefer prepaid CSL sim. 5 GB LTE for 8 days at a cost of HKD 118 only, with consumable that allows me to call any Philippine number for 41 minutes. Plus unli local calls and unli local sms (so we can go our separate way and easily coordinate meet ups or make restaurant reservations or call a chain store branch in another part of the city because so and so item is not available at the nearby branch or book Chope or Openrice restaurants which features very good discounts: example Kowloon Shangrila lunch buffet at 25% off but requires local number ). And free unli access to 10,000 CSL wifi hotspots (up to100 Mbps download speed). Much better value than pocket wifi devices. And I can always tether my other devices like the iPad. Reloading via credit card (in HKD 50 increments).

No need to drop off device at HKIA. Hassle pa. Super easy. Super convenient.

#5 raypin, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    braindeadph likes this.
  6. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Prepaid SIM from EE + old smartphone on hotspot mode + powerbank.

raypin likes this.
  7. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

When we went to Japan early this month, I bought a sim card in Lazada that has 4GB load(700Php). I put it in my 3 year old's iPad. He watches Netflix while in the car and sometimes when we're out of the hotel when there's no wifi access. It lasted for 4 days.

8. zChris

zChris Active Member

I bought a Sim2Fly sim in Manila before taking a trip to Japan in June this year. It cost about 750 or 800 for 4GB for 8 days. Worked great!

Instead of letting it expire like a typical local sim you buy abroad, I maintained the sim and used it for another trip. Reload was 299 Thai Bhat or about 450 pesos for same 4 GB for 8 days.

Taking a trip to Japan again in December and February and will use the same sim. Just reload as needed.

Much more convenient now as I have an Xs Max with Dual Sim so I only use 1 device.

The sim is actually a Thailand Sim from AIS. But they have such a cheap roaming package (THB299, 4GB, 8 days, for most countries in Asia and about THB800 for many counties in the US and Europe). You are actually roaming when you use the sim (since it is a Thai sim and you are not in Thailand). But if you visit multiple countries in a single trip within the same zone, ie, Asia, the same plan just works across those countries.

Available at a store in Greenhills. Check out Philippine Travel Sim on FB.

Prior to discovering this, I went the pocket Wi-Fi with local sim route. I got a Huawei pocket Wi-Fi in Hong Kong with a 5200 mah battery to make sure it doesn’t die on me. The battery was so big it actually doubled as a power bank!

The danger I saw with this approach is that devices connected to the pocket Wi-Fi are on Wi-Fi, which means that they have a tendency to do software updates and eat up your data plan. This happened to me while in the US with an AT&T local sim and another time in Japan with a Japan local sim. The Japan one was quite painful because local sims in Japan aren’t cheap.

ronjet and manager like this.
  9. oj88

I would like to say, in case it wasn’t aparent, that the klday offering is unlimited data for 5 days. They also have a package for 3 days which costs a little less, though still, unli-data.

In which case, I’ve no reason to budget my data usage during my whole stay. The only budgeting I may need to do is to save power and make sure my gadgets lasts the whole day. But I am taking care of that with a power bank.

10. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

i think on hk there is no provider that gives unlimited data via 3G/4G. if there is one, it will be 2G only.

11. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

@zChris, about that Sim2Fly sim, how often do you need to reload it so that it won’t expire? Like every month, quarterly or even just once a year? Used to either buy a local sim or rent a pocket wifi and might try to use this Sim2Fly next time.

12. oj88

https://www.kkday.com/en-sg/product/11847

It specifically says Unlimited 4G, both in the bundle name and detailed description. I bought the HK-area only option:

13. raypin

Mm...looks cheap re: KKDay rentals and it does say 4G and unli. But you have to rent minimum of 3 pocket wifi. Worth it with larger groups.

99970925-74AB-4512-AF31-62FE78056B80.png

So, it is Php 522/day times 5 days = php 2,610.00.

14. oj88

Language barrier. It means that the minimum duration is three (3) days.

P522 is already for 3 days.

raypin likes this.
  15. raypin

Mm...lol! Thanks. Yeah....so it is minimum 3 days, not 3 orders. It is an excellent deal. Let us know here if the 4G speeds are really 4G and no data throttling. I might get one to supplement my prepaid CSL sim (I still need local HK number).

From experience over the years, HK LTE mobile data speeds range from 10 Mbps (minimum) to more than 40 Mbps. Naglalaro dyan, regardless of where I am in HK.

#15 raypin, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  16. oj88

Oo nga eh. Kaya you can understand my skepticism at first. I'll be the test subject in this case and report back how the whole experience will be. Worst case, there ought to be an abundance of free WiFi hotspots in HK. But then, the last I've been there was in 2012.

17. raypin

Mmm....zero problems on getting hitched on Wifi. Pag landing mo pa lang sa HKIA and sa tarmac ka pa lang, you get HKIA’s excellent free Wifi. For malls, no problem. For Mcdonald’s, very fast free wifi and they give you 3 hours to surf at your leisure. And unlike Singapore (Changi), connecting does not require you to input codes. Just connect and surf. Zero hassle. If you take the Airport Express train, you get uninterrupted free wifi. Take the seat behind the luggage area. Meron USB charging. Same sa mga MTR stations.

Even the HK government provides free wifi in certain public areas...

#17 raypin, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  18. oj88

That's great! I guess my info is still up to date. But this has gotten me to a point that I've started second-guessing myself why I even bothered renting a hotspot. :D

But it's done. At least I know I will have continuous connection anywhere.

raypin likes this.
  19. mackymd

mackymd Well-Known Member

If you travel a lot may I suggest you get a pokefi in HK Airport. comes with a free 5 gig data that seems to last forever just don't use it for videos.

20. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

good luck bro, not sure what exact provider is included but pretty sure the major ones doesn't have unlimited options.

i've checked klook and they don't offer any unlimited data sims.