On iTunes Music Store purchased tracks

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by farankoshan, Apr 20, 2006.

1. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

you're right.

2. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

Does that mean that a "computer" is determined by the OSX it runs? So, if i forget to deauthorize a computer before reinstalling, I run the risk of having my "fifth" iTunes not play a track coz I've gone beyond the limit? or will the earliest "computer" be erased from the list of 5?

3. kudyapi

kudyapi Guest

I'll say it straight from the shoulder: why don't you just ask how to put up an iTunes charity project. It's easier to help in that sense.

4. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not OS X, but iTunes.

You'll get a message that all 5 slots have been used and you'll have to deauthorize at least one of them. It won't do it automatically. If you don't have access to that computer anymore, you can deauthorize ALL 5 computers from your iTMS account. Use it sparingly though, AFAIK, you're limited to using it only a certain number of times for a given period.

5. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

um, i think you missed my meaning, kudyapi... I didn't actually mean "kids" like charity cases. I just meant that a few friends of mine are used to a tradition I keep and I wouldn't wanna dissapoint them, leaving them music-less. :cool:

6. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

You mean I can only deauthorize ALL 5 computers only a certain number of times then its done for good?! No more deauthorizing after that forever? or does that "period" you mentioned follow a system of limited deauthorizations (e.g. 3 MAJOR deauthorizes per month , or per year).

How does this work?

*(I was planning to use iTMS purely for music I can't find anywhere in the Phils or anywhere else. Funny how it all seems to make things more complicated once it goes digital...and protected. Even original CDs aren't this limiting.)

7. elbert

elbert Active Member

I just did a "Deauthorize all" on my ITMS account.

The option appears in your Apple Account Information only when 5 computers have been authorized. To find this, go into the Music Store, click on your account name on the top right corner and select View Account.

You can use this option only once a year and I'm presuming it's there as an anti-piracy measure. I don't know if one year means 365 days from last use of this option, or on every anniversary of the Apple Account.

In my case, it says I have 0 computers authorized now, but I'm able to play all purchased tracks on my main computer's iTunes. Hmmm, I wonder if this is a bonus. Maybe I can authorize five more after this. hehe.

The reason I used this option is because one of the authorized computers was sold already and the other two were for demo Macs somewhere out there. I have only one other computer at home.

8. kudyapi

kudyapi Guest

Giving free tracks to friends especially if you don't intend to give to just few of them feels like a charity to me {charity is my polite word for piracy by the way since I don't really know you and for that reason don't wanna offend you but I think now I did}. Oh and btw, does charity means 'giving out to kids' in the Philippines? No offense but I'm just curious.

9. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

i don't understand your question.

10. elbert

elbert Active Member

Don't worry about it. No one does.

11. kudyapi

kudyapi Guest

Hey Mr. Moderator, you speak like you know the consensus of all the members of this forum. Very unlikely for a moderator. Should you rather be called the 'Pulse'?
    And it wasn't a question gents, it's called 'SARCASM', neither "should you rather be called the 'Pulse'?" so please don't bother.

12. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

I have a difficult time making sense of your posts too. It just seems like there are words missing here and there or words that don't belong, I can almost make sense of it, but not quite. Do you mind making your posts more succinct?

13. elbert

elbert Active Member

Hey, Mr. kudyapi, the truth is you speak in riddles and I've been in a number of offline discussions via PM and chat about your difficult-to-understand posts. So yeah, a consensus I have.

And by the way, I'd appreciate it if you would address me as "Chairman"... I believe I've earned it. (hehe, inspired by A Few Good Men).:p

14. kudyapi

kudyapi Guest

'Succinct'? Now that's a word I have not used for years. I bet 'Epigrammatic' would be your next or how about 'Laconic'? They make one bloody heap of a sense don't they? {Again, this is not a question Mr. Chairman}.

15. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I think kudyapi wants to know if the term giving out to kids means the same thing as charity. He equates the term charity with piracy. <sarcasm>And he says that he's just curious and that he doesn't want to offend anybody</sarcasm>.

Kudyapi, if you want to say something then just say it outright. Don't mince your words. Take responsibility for what you say.

16. kudyapi

kudyapi Guest

I give up. Let's put it all up to language barrier instead. My last post by the way.

17. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Ummm, ok ;)

18. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Active Member

Hahahaha!!! You guys are hilarious.....!! Can't we all just have ice cream...hehe (the others will get this joke.)

19. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

Hahaha! I agree! This has got to be the farthest and funniest anybody has talked about iTunes Music Store purchases...without talking about iTunes Music Store purchases.. :p

So far, what I've gathered is that:
    - there is some semblance of a workaround with the protected AAC issue with authorizing and deauthorizing;
    - only 5 iTunes users can be authorized at a time (after which you must deauthorize a few);
    - 7 (unchanged) playlists can be burnt to a CD at a time, and;
    - once burnt, a CD works like any other;

* please correct me if I'm wrong.

That should prove useful! :cool:

20. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

You're on your way to becoming a FairPlay expert :) FairPlay is the name of Apple's DRM (digital rights management) technology.