On Grammar and Spelling Errors in Postings

Discussion in 'General OT' started by alfiesy, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adelsamson

adelsamson Member

please include "furnitures."

2. adelsamson

adelsamson Member

couldn't agree with you more! we are lucky indeed.
    on my end, i correct grammatical errors in my mind whenever i hear mistakes. i only get to verbalize it with my friends. i wouldn't mind being corrected myself.

3. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

Wow! This thread is getting interesting. I wonder if the thread starter is doing some kind of study or paper on the different types of reactions and responses he is getting from his comment. I think he even left out the " ve " in I've on purpose. I mean the "editor in him" wouldn't have allowed himself to make that post w/o editing it, right? Oh well, just a thought...

4. danieldy

danieldy Member

Personally, I don't really mind a couple grammar slip ups here and there. Perhaps it's because I'm guilty of committing errors myself, and I don't review my posts to make sure they aren't riddled with grammatical errors.

However, it'd really be nice if members could just post in straight english. While I'm sure the majority of PhilMUG is fluent in Tagalog, there are those such as myself, who never really could understand all the Tagalog slang.

In fact, when reading tagalog posts, I have to recite them out loud to myself. :p

5. kimir

kimir Member

haw abawt beterest

6. elbert

elbert Active Member

If I were a part of the grammar police force (and I really wouldn't mind being one), I would've made some serious arrests by now. So much crime against the English language is being committed here, heinous ones at that, that the perpetrators are deserving of lifetime imprisonment.

But then again, this is a Mac Users Group, the Philippines MUG at that. There is no such thing as a grammar police, nor will there ever be one. But I understand where the thread starter is coming from. I'm sure he isn't bothered by the occasional typos here and there (which he himself is guilty of). I'm sure it has to do with some of the atrocious use of the language. I will admit that it is distracting (I can't decide whether to be amused or be shocked), and at times just plain annoying. I guess the only problem I can find with bad English is the distraction. In other words, it's petty, so we shouldn't make any issue of it.

As long as the message is clear, I will be tolerant and forgiving. I too used to correct English (I was a teacher's assistant in California during my 12th grade. Ironically, I was an exchange student, it was an English honors class).

I give this advice to the frequent offenders though: don't use the language if you're struggling with it. There's no requirement that posts made here should be grammatically correct. Just be natural and use whatever lingo you're comfortable with.

As long as it's not txt lingo, then we won't mind. As long as the point is obvious and clear, we won't ask you to clarify. As long as it is posted within the PhilMUG guidelines, we won't take action.

I hope we can now get back to our usual business of talking about Macs and helping each other out.

BTW, don't ask me to post in straight Tagalog, because I will ashamedly admit that I'm bad at it.

Thanks.

#46 elbert, Jul 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  7. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

Maybe we can observe Linggo Ng Wika here at PhilMUG. If I'm not mistaken, it's sometime in August (3rd week I think). How about that for a coincidence?

This site had a temporary facelift during April's Fools,' right? It may be time for another one. How about it? ;)

#47 booblanco, Jul 31, 2006
  8. lasbac

lasbac Member

Philmug 1 and 2

Philmug 1 - English
    Philmug 2 - Tagalog

9. elbert

elbert Active Member

What are you talking about? Your post doesn't make any sense.

10. kimir

kimir Member

ha? :slanted: first english, now math. when is recess

#50 kimir, Jul 31, 2006
  11. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I, too, don't mind the occasional typo, which I'm also guilty of, but not txt speling.

I second the suggestion to consider posting in the language one is comfortable with, if posting in English is going to be a struggle. That's because deciphering the post can also be a struggle. Bottomline: what is most convenient to get one's message across.

12. dinxcarin

dinxcarin Active Member

pano naman kaming mga bisaya? hahah.

13. ferrarista44

ferrarista44 Member

i've visayan classmates back in high school who speak better english than i do.
    in fact, i notice that visayans tend to speak english in a more slang manner than tagalogs... which i think is impressive.

14. lasbac

lasbac Member

im visayan and my inglis is aberage lg

15. dinxcarin

dinxcarin Active Member

Geesh, thanks for the compliment ferrarista44...that's something to flaunt about
    heheh.

hahah. where you from lasbac? I'm from Cebu.

#55 dinxcarin, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  16. lasbac

lasbac Member

bacolod dinxcarin :) was just kidding of course

17. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Guest

this is the spirit and the attitude i was looking for, wari_aktiv, ransom, and calynn. The fact that this is a forum means we have a lot of different kinds of people, and some don't always understand tagalog, and some don't always understand english. speaking in straight english or tagalog is one way of being considerate. the mods sending a PM to the erring poster (as explained by penmanila's post) is also another way of being considerate. as for grammar, come on, there's no such thing as a too-perfect grammar. we owe it to ourselves to learn a little bit more than what we're used to. why too defensive? live and learn, i say again.

#57 maryannemoll, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  18. dinxcarin

dinxcarin Active Member

i wana learn my mistakes too..just pm me then.

19. charmedmac

charmedmac Member

live and let live :)

20. wari_aktiv

wari_aktiv Active Member

@ maryannemoll:

I understand your point, and agree with it.

I also understand that there may be some instances where one is bound to come across some posts that are a bit hard to read, owing to unorthodox grammar, incorrect subject-verb agreement, and dicey word usage.

I just happen to think that any person should be able to communicate the way they want to, and that it should be tolerated, as long as the particular point that he or she is trying to make is clear enough. :)

On a lighter note, (and slightly OT); I just remembered that one of the main (Polish?) characters in Jonathan Safran Foer's book, called "Everything Is Illuminated", manages to completely mangle the English language in every single line of dialogue that he had. :D

Rather than give me a headache, I found it absolutely fascinating. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.