On Grammar and Spelling Errors in Postings

Discussion in 'General OT' started by alfiesy, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimir

kimir Member

I agree with nonong.
    Why can't this group of Filipino mac users use Filipino? Para saakin, hindi tayo tunay na makakalaya sa mga banyaga hanggat di tayo gumagamit ng wika na angkop sa sikolohiya bilang isang lahi natin, ang wikang pambansa. Dapat nating bigyang importansya ang ating sariling wika sapagkat ito ay makabuluhang bahagi ng pagkakaisa ng dukhang maralita, burges at mayaman. Pagkakaisa ng bayan.

#21 kimir, Jul 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  2. hannibal

hannibal Guest

although i am totally for correct grammar, i am also totally against forming a grammar police force. i believe the part of the Terms & Conditions which PatrickGaerlan referred to in his post would suffice to keep this forum grammatically upright. i also agree with Gomi that it's the thought that counts. :)

no person in this world, whether american or english, could speak straight, unerring english all right, all the time. yes, not even those who got a double doctorate in english and education. so let's not open the possibility of limiting this forum to those who can just speak english flawlessly. let's enforce a more rigid type of discipline to useless, senseless, one-liner posts instead.

3. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

with all due respect but i get a headache reading tagalog. i dont mind people communicating in tagalog but reading it just flares up my migraine so i tend to not read it.

4. freelancer

freelancer Active Member

I for one, would hate to explain how to reset the PRAM of an iBook using Filipino. ;)

Use whatever's comfortable, whether it be English or Filipino. Make it clear and concise.

Eto lang, mga kapatid. There are no such words as "stuffs", "softwares" and "equipments." Okay?

Wo men shi pengyoumen, dui? :D

#24 freelancer, Jul 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  5. lasbac

lasbac Member

Lets leave it as it is. I'm ilonggo and deep tagalog words will be hard for me.

6. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I think we were all just kidding, hannibal. :)

7. Buddhaboy

Buddhaboy Member

I agree!

How are things in China, by the ways?

Is it true that the grasses is really greener on the other sides anyways?

8. freelancer

freelancer Active Member

Spin-a-win. Sorry, mods. OT. We shall be discussing ice cream in a little while.

9. kimir

kimir Member

i tink its betterer here in d pilipins

10. topaz

topaz Active Member

"More better" is more like it.;)

11. wari_aktiv

wari_aktiv Active Member

Personally, I really wouldn't mind getting called on grammar.

But I suppose everybody should be freedom enough to choose the language that they wants to communicate with; and how they are wishing to use it.

But I think its great that we're talking about this issue.

It may turn out to be a blessing in the sky. ;)

#31 wari_aktiv, Jul 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  12. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

May I suggest tact to anyone who's intending to correct another's grammar and use PM for this purpose?

13. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

before anyone goes overboard one way or another on this issue, let's not forget that it's very rare that the mods actually step in to edit a title or a post just to correct a grammatical or spelling error. most of the time, it's just not worth anyone's time. basta malinaw naman, we let it pass, bahala na yung poster na panagutan yung ginawa niya, kung mali man. i won't hesitate to intervene as a mod if a title is written so badly that it will confuse people, or (just as badly) embarrass the author. the idea is, let's do this sparingly, with a very light hand, with no intention of embarrassing anyone. a follow-up PM might be a nice touch. no need to make this a big english vx. filipino, PhDs vs. jologs, control vs. freedom issue. let clarity and common sense rule :)

14. jps444

jps444 Active Member

the point of proper grammar is that you are able to relate your message with the proper use of words. once i believe when we write something and we fail to convey our idea due to mixed up use of words that's the time i believe we need to point out that proper grammar is needed. otherwise, it's sufficient to let things pass as long as we understand it. besides how bad can a person write in philmug that he or she totally fails to be comprehended by anyone! right? hehe! we can just ask for a clarification from the person and that would be totally fine, no harm done! :D

peace friends!

15. ransom

ransom Well-Known Member

i correct grammatical mistakes for a living, and i have no intention of allowing my job to carry over into this forum. ( did i use the correct prepositions in that last sentence?) i do appreciate, though, constructive criticism from anyone regarding my handling of the language. if you ask me, forum members should consider themselves lucky to get free grammar and writing advice from guys like adel and penmanila.

16. calynn

calynn Member

Guilty here. Im one of those who doesn't edit my replies before posting them.
    To the editors, I really don't mind receiving PMs to correct me of my errors (I'm speaking here for myself as I cannot speak for the rest of the members of the group).
    Im learning here a lot about Macs just by reading the threads (just switched to Mac 1 month ago) and getting good buys too.
    Learning the correct usage of the english language will be a bonus.

17. muddybanks

muddybanks Member

Sorry Maryanne, I must beg to differ, You may feel the way people express themselves is wrong, and want to point it out to them.. The language we cringe at is the language of the membership as they think and interact. Let's understand each other first. Grammar has it's place in formal communication, but this is a forum of like minded individuals who freely express themselves as they best see fit. Or to quote William Safire on this very issue, "When enough of us are wrong, we are right."

Linguistics is not a zero sum game.

So to PM someone over a grammatical point in a forum post is downright silly - unless there is an issue of clarity at stake. But if you know what they mean, why bother. It's a forum post pure and simple - and like most forums, people use a conversational tone when posting, and this relfects the way we speak to each other far more than formal grammar may allow.

If I want to complain about proper English, I'll open a newspaper and criticize that because they're supposed to be right (and often aren't).

18. lasbac

lasbac Member

Amen.......:)

19. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

folks, fyi, a mod's PM over matters like these will likely be in the form of "hi, ABC, just to let you know, i edited the subject title of your thread just to make things clearer and to make it easier for people to help you with your query. i hope that's okay with you. many thanks!" it certainly shouldn't be meant--or be taken--to imply that the poster is stupid, ignorant, or any such thing.

again, folks, help keep the temperature down. we all have worthier things to mind here. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.