On Grammar and Spelling Errors in Postings

Discussion in 'General OT' started by alfiesy, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

Hope this thread does not offend anyone.

From time to time, grammatical, spelling, punctuation, and word usage errors appear on the forum. In the interest of stemming the decline in the quality of English language writing, the frustrated editor in me sometimes gets the urge to privately message the offending party regarding the infraction. In all cases, I'e held back for fear of offending anyone.

Question: Is this fear justified?

Just asking for opinions on the matter.

#1 alfiesy, Jul 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  2. krisbau

krisbau Member

Ironically, you also missed a "v" in your "I've". ;)

However, I know you won't be offended by my pointing this out because it's clearly just a typo. I'd be glad if someone pointed out my grammatical or spelling mistakes.

My pet peeve is also the bad spelling and grammar in so, so many posts. Maybe it's just my high school English teacher haunting me in my head ... but I do share in your disappointment. Is it the English education they get nowadays?

Maybe we should have a Philmug grammar and spelling police? Bwahahaha

3. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Personally, I wouldn't mind if someone PM'ed me regarding any glaring spelling or grammatical errors in my post.

Actually, there's an item in PhilMUG's Terms & Conditions saying that you agree to have any of our editors correct grammatical, spelling, punctuation, and word usage errors in your posts without requiring prior notification. It's the same item that says that if we don't like the content of your post, the moderators are free to modify it as they see fit.

Just kidding.

4. jm2ph

jm2ph Member

I wouldn't mind i'd take it constructively, pm me if ever :redface:

5. Sph1nx

Sph1nx Active Member

Everybody makes mistakes once in a while so I believe we should let it slide once in a while as well. However, if someone repeatedly makes the mistake of thnkng dat dis forum tolerates sms-like entries (intended), then I believe the polite way to handle this is to PM the person and point it out.

6. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

Haha! It seems we have a volunteer for the grammar police.

I remember my own grammar teachers and my previous boss when it comes to being particular with subject-verb agreeement and sentence construction. They were as much a victim to my long-winded sentences as this forum is. ;)

7. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Guest

i always edit my posts if i ever notice any typos. i think most of us do. as for bad grammar, i think there's a deeper problem there somewhere.

i don't think philmug should ban membership on the grounds of bad grammar, but neither is it right to give a crash course on grammar to grammatically-challenged members, or worse, to hunt down their grammar school teachers. i think, for now, it's good enough that the issue is raised so that members will be more conscious of their english.

8. AthanWylde

AthanWylde Active Member

...or better yet, magpakatotoo na lang po tayo at mag tagalog na lang kung nahihirapan mag post sa wikang ingles 'di po ba? we are a filipino macintosh users group afterall...

Flim likes this.
  9. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

It's the tot that counts.

10. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

less talk less mistake hahaha :)

11. raygun

raygun Member

offended me aktuali. gawing issue na naman ba yan? ano ba 'to forum ng macusers o forum ng mga editors?

opkors keywords lang ang hahanapin ng nagsesearch tama? pag nagsearch ka di lang naman post ang result diba kundi buong threads? di na dapat issue yan asus.

#11 raygun, Jul 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  12. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Guest

won't using tagalog limit our searchability?

13. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

for as long as the thought is clearly expressed, and the error isn't so bad that it will affect searching, i'd let it pass. english or filipino is fine by me. the most important thing is clarity among ourselves. conversely, please don't get offended if the mods edit titles, etc. for clarity's or brevity's sake. it's just all in a mod's day's work :)

14. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah. As an editor, this is a topic close to my heart.

I agree with penmanila, but there are some that just stick in your craw and refuse to go down. They are simultaneously amusing and depressing, if that's at all possible. I've long suppressed overpowering urges to edit some folk, to the point of fantasizing about creating a new, anonymous mod account named "Grammar Nazi" and correcting grammar all over the site with impunity. Call me crazy.

If the Philmug Grammar-Spelling Police Force is ever formed, you got one volunteer right here!

EDIT: Hehe. Went back and corrected something. See?

15. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

Sang-ayon po ako sa mungkahi ninyo.

Afterall, it is safe to presume that members of this forum understand both Tagalog/Filipino and English.

16. jps444

jps444 Active Member

i agree with you guys. sometimes it's not wrong to use taglish for conversation purposes. well it is better to use staight tagalog or english of course. but whichever is the preferred language proper grammar should be used. it is quite frustrating irritating to read replies with bad grammar.

17. waks13

waks13 Active Member

Better with simple English with layman terms, good communication skills doesn't mean we have to use hard words.

18. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Guest

i think we have to have some decent amount of respect for the languages we use. at any rate, there's nothing wrong with trying to improve one's grammar.

19. nonong

nonong Member

I think in general it is considered impolite to correct someone's grammar. You're delving into a very personal area and you'll run the risk of being called a know it all or at worst a bigot.

Personally, I'd just let these things pass so long as we understand each other. People have different levels of language proficiency and I don't want to be the person who insults someone and risk creating an enemy instead of a friend.

Of course this attitude/rule is not absolute. I'd correct my staff's grammar mistakes because it reflects on me too and helps them improve. If I had kids I'd correct them too! Now friends who ask me to do so I would gladly oblige. There are many other instances where I'd break this rule but I guess you get my point that there would be exceptions. Sadly, I don't think the mistakes on this forum is one of them. So, I would advise anyone against it.

Text "speak" is a totally different thing. There are no character limits on this posts that warrant use of text language though a few slips here and there, in my opinion, should be tolerated.

Just my few cents worth.

20. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Guest

live and learn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.