OmniWeb 5.0.1

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Adel, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Revisiting this old browser I used to tinker with some time back, and which is now finally out of Beta. They've certainly come a long way from the looks of it.

Nice. So far.

Kinda slow - which is because it uses a slower rendering engine than Safari (a trade-off they justify somewhere on their homepage) - but almost unnoticeable. The cool features more than make up for it, like the sidebar windows rather than tabs, the ability to resize fonts per page, etc.

Looks cool, too.

For now I only have two immediate complaints: Gmail doesn't work with it, and that slowness thing.

Sorry, three complaints. There's a 30-day trial period, after which its $30; upgrading from a previous registration is about $10. Now why we would pay that much when Safari comes free in the box the Mac came in, I don't know.

But it's worth a try. For now it's my alternate browser.

Get it here.

2. mgd

mgd Member

I tried the beta version, which has the same "tab" system, and I found that it took up much space on by 12" PB. On a 15" I guess there's ample real estate for this tabbing style.

As an alternate browser, I use Firefox. It fast and free. :)

3. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

5.1 Beta 2 is out.

Seems to be getting faster and more dependable with each revision. If you didn't know 5.1 now works with gmail. I love the fact that you can just drag URLs into the graphical tab bar to open it inside that window.

Still not as fast as Safari but it's slowly getting there.

4. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

i took the cue from tuaw.com's osx browser tests and tried omni web 5.1.3. it is as fast as described and it is currently my favorite browser as a result. try it.