Olympus Air

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by ice, Feb 5, 2015.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Olympus Air is a wireless camera for your smartphone | The Verge

[​IMG]

Olympus Air A01
    16-megapixel (Micro Four Thirds sensor and mount)

2. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

The difference is the Olympus Air will allow you to use your collection of Micro 4/3 lenses! This is spectacular. I assume Panasonic lenses should also be compatible.

3. ramil

ramil Active Member

Yes. From what I understand, Olympus Air will be "a 16-megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor and mount that can take any of the numerous lenses released for the format so far". I'm looking forward to this. I have a few lenses that I can use for this.

4. CruciaL

CruciaL Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:)

5. ice

6. ice

Godfather likes this.
  7. ice

The Olympus Air lens camera can be yours for $300 | Engadget

8. empty

empty Active Member

I just got my Olympus Air! Its heavier than I expected so the balance works well with my iPhone 6+ at least with a smaller lens. Its quite secure particularly since I have a case that gives it something to really clamp on too.

There are several reviews out there already so you can read those for more details. For me the main thing is that the software can be a bit slow to react so its not a camera for shooting on the fly or for trying to catch fast action. Just turning it on and pairing the phone will take a good 10-15 seconds, longer if you are connected to another wifi network (you have to disconnect and then manually connect to the Air). The good thing is that the Air works even without being connected so as long as the lens is a bit wide and you point it straight you can take a snapshot just with the big shutter button. I also miss the IS, you will be holding this setup in many unstable positions so stabilization would have been great.

For manual lens users there is no focus peaking or focus assist magnification. There is a digital zoom though (3x) which you can use to help get focus, just remember to put it back to 1X before taking the shot or else it will save the zoomed in image.

IQ is typical for a modern m 4/3 so that's a good thing, it also can save RAW files. The software has a lot of the art filters that are popular in the Oly line up. Overall its a fun camera to play around with, just be aware of its limitations due to the ergonomics and lag. I have tried it with android and the experience is about the same, note that you actually cant download the OA Central app in the Philippine android store, I had to use my Amazon account to get it. I'm not sure if its the same for apple as my default account is a US account.

Its small enough with the 14-42 EZ to always keep in my laptop bag so at least I have something a bit more versatile than my phone cam with me most of the time. That being said, a decent enthusiast level P&S would do the same for equal money and weight.

[​IMG]
    With the 14-42 EZ from my E-M10

[​IMG]
    Iphone 6+ with Tech21 case is about as big as the clamp will handle

[​IMG]
    Huge live view! but a bit laggy

[​IMG]
    Not quite the monster setup in posts above but that's a heavy (for m 4/3) f.95 50mm HyperPrime

wulf and ad0bo like this.
  9. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Well-Known Member

10. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

"Sure, go ahead and take pictures of the embassy" were the last words that he heard, ever.

Use this anywhere in the US for guaranteed, 100% effective suicide-by-cop.

Winner of this year's Darwin Awards!

raypin and Salaryman Ryan like this.