Old iPads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by den_lim, Jul 14, 2019 at 9:59 AM.

1. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

Hello,

Just wondering.
    What do you guys do with your old iPads -- the ones that can't be updated anymore?
    Looking for ideas on what to do with some of our old units.

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Wall clock and alarm

bacchus_3 likes this.
  3. testdummy

testdummy Active Member

Use it as a documents reader or e-book reader for pdf files, e-books, comics, magazines, etc. You can also make it into a digital picture frame.

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

iPad Air (1st gen) and I still use it occasionally to browse, watch media, email, and do a lot of general-purpose tasks too many to mention. It's slow, but still usable... well, if you have the patience.

Even for its age, it's still far too capable to be relegated to single-purpose tasks like a clock or a digital picture frame. I do use an old Samsung Galaxy Tab (first ever Samsung tablet that came out 9 years ago) on top of our dresser as the bedroom clock. It's rooted and auto-syncs it's time from the internet.

5. snipes

snipes Active Member

Gave it to my kasambahay

raypin likes this.
  6. quakercountry

quakercountry Member

my kids 7 and 9 still use ipadmini 1 for youtube and netflix. they still get a decent amount of screen time..maybe 4hours per charge.

7. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

YouTube still works? Our older iPads YouTube stopped working citing a need to update before it could play

8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

It doesn’t do just that. It still works as its suppose to except for apps that cannot be updated anymore because of device restrictions. The OP just wants to know what we are doing with ours.

9. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

photo album...

remember when we were kids and a photo album was always ready at the living room for guests...

10. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I guess it was a bit too early. Anyway, I just recently reached that line, as a matter of fact. The iPad Air 1 will no longer receive iOS 13 and will be stuck forever on 12.x

My wife still has the iPad 2 which I gave her from 2011 (iOS 9.3.5). She uses is it as her Bible (Olive Tree), play games occasionally, and do social media. Though, he spends more time with her Android phone as it is faster, newer, and more portable.

11. quakercountry

quakercountry Member

yup, via safari.