Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0)

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by joseph_camela, May 30, 2008.

1. joseph_camela

joseph_camela Active Member

2. ricpac

ricpac Active Member

Wow. Thanks for this alert. I hope this will fix the issue I have with Entourage. It just freezes up everything whenever I open an attached excel file. Happened three times last week. The only workaround I could think of was save the excel file first and then open it a little after.

EDIT: And I can't believe I missed it. T'was posted May 14th!

#2 ricpac, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  3. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

It is considered a critical update and it is available through Microsoft's AutoUpdate, a total of 180 MB.

4. ricpac

ricpac Active Member

I just found out that I had set it to "Manually."
    Thanks for the reminder Mod. Appreciate it.

EDIT: The issues that should get fixed on this update are listed here > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952331/en-us
    And this to me hopefully should make me happy later on today...

#4 ricpac, May 30, 2008
  5. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

I was like huh??? Again an update??? Seems like you guys just noticed the SP1 update that has been released on May 14th? I think Office 2008 is still lacking in speed. It can be a pain in the butt still too often...

6. MACRoel

MACRoel Member

I updated my Office 2008. However, after an update, it asked me to register online. This is the problem now because my original installer CD was lost together with the serial key. I forgot to copy the serial key and store in a safe place. Now, I am helpless. I could not run it anymore.

#6 MACRoel, May 30, 2008
  7. dominiquejames

What is a better alternative? Any suggestions or recommendations?

8. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

Not really. The question is of course if you frequently need to exchange documents with Windows PCs running Office or even Macs. If that is the case and to preserve the correct formatting as well as to prevent trouble with incompatibilities you have to stick to Office. Another solution would be to run Windows through Parallels or VMWare and using Office 2007 which in my opinion runs much speedier and more reliable than 2008.

NeoOffice is of course also a possibility, but since I need to rely on the fact that documents need to look the same on all machines and OS configurations anytime I just have to use MS-Office.

If I am preparing documents for internal use only or those that do not need to be available as changeable document to others, I tend to use iWork '08 more and more often. I like many features that iWork offers, especially Keynote is something to consider if you are making presentations more frequently.

Not an easy decision but to be on the safe side I suggest to either go the Office 2008 or 2007 route. At least that way you have the capability to produce and work with documents that are created with the Office software used by most offices.

9. elbertlo

elbertlo Member

Office 2008 is so slow. Even on a 2.4GHz iMac.

I use Pages, Numbers and Keynote, which can read and save to Word, Excel and PowerPoint, respectively.

10. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

Try the suggested procedures of this guy.

11. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

any update with the word "service pack" from microsoft brings chills down my spine...

12. dominiquejames

My update did not require a new online registration. I wonder why yours did.

13. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

I guess the first .dmg posted by Microsoft has some bugs in it. Then, when the problem surfaced, they fixed it immediately and posted an updated .dmg.

14. MACRoel

MACRoel Member

Thank you very much Odysseus. I used the second procedure stated and it worked for me. I successfully updated my office 2008 to 12.1.0. So far, so good.