Number Portability Act

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by john.roque, May 24, 2019.

1. john.roque

john.roque Member

Looks like we’ll finally be able to keep our phone numbers for ourselves.

Based from the IRR of NTC:

1. Number porting will be a physical process— in a sense written forms, submissions of IDs and a clearance from original network from any financial obligations will be needed.
    2. No number porting within 60 days of activation.
    3. Porting process should only take 48 hours max after submission of documents.
    4. Change from prepaid to postpaid service should only take 24 hours.
    5. SMS one time PINs are required.
    6. Completely free of charge and no more interconnect fees.

I find this is great for us consumers, especially those who are stuck with a network because changing their number would be a nightmare. I myself I’m interested in switching to Smart because they just upped Globe’s plan with their new Signature plans.

Notable difference on the porting process VS the one from US is that it seems very secure from “phone number thieves”, as it requires both physical and on-device verification. While it seems to be a big red tape thing, phone number theft in the US is a real thing because porting there is purely remote and only requires a PIN (which is usually the last 4 of their SSN). This makes SMS a secure method for two-factor authentication over using it in the US.

I’m really glad our lawmakers took an initiative on this. Just in time for iPhone XI!

2. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

Is the IRR out? I cannot find any news article on this.

3. john.roque

john.roque Member

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

There are still privacy concerns that need to be threshed out. You know like people who want to remain anonymous and also whistleblowers who are likely to be unmasked because of the new law.

5. polemic

polemic Member

Thank you for this. I myself was looking for the IRR. Sent an email to NTC but didn't get any response.

Shouldn't they already be finished by now? The law itself mandates that the IRR be released within 3 months of effectivity.
    That would be June 6, as the law took effect on March 6, 15 days after publication on the Official Gazette last Feb 19.

6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

7. King

King Well-Known Member

Downgrading to a landline requires a renewal of a 24 month lock in... for a landline.

This explains it then.

I was baffled why Globe refused to port a Globe prepaid # to a Globe postpaid account. Globe used to have a postpaid plan that migrates prepaid # to postpaid. They stopped it for this law.

I do not think this covers landline #.

I say this as NCR landline # will have an extra digit specific to a telco. So if your number is 911-1111 with Globe then your number becomes 7911-1111 while the PLDT counterpart becomes 8911-1111.

Doing this is sobrang hassle. Instead they should have made a new area code specific to new numbers.

Kawawa the people who depend on unli call and unli text promos. How can they tell that their kausap is on the same network as they are?

8. marky2115

marky2115 Active Member

Should existing postpaid account be terminated and remaining balance settled first before processing of activation by the new service provider? If yes, would that mean I'd get no mobile services during transition?

9. polemic

polemic Member

oops didn't notice this, sorry

yep all outstanding balance should be settled. the transition issue should be covered by the IRR probably

10. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

11. polemic

polemic Member