Now it's 2017, where is it best to buy rMBP 2015?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hellomek, May 28, 2017.

1. hellomek

hellomek New Member

I'm looking to buy a 13" rMBP 128ssd 2015. I'm not really a fan of the dongle life nor the touch bar so I decided to go with this. My plans to buy a refurbished 256ssd 2016 from Canada unfortunate couldn't work out so I was hoping to get some sound advice here. Now that new models has been released, do you think it's still worth it to get a brand new model or a second-hand would be a better deal? Thanks in advanced!

2. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

It's always best that you buy a brand new Mac instead of a second hand one.

If you plan to buy brand new, Beyond the Box provides discounts to PhilMUG members. In order to do so, however, you have request for a discount coupon. For details on that, kindly refer to this thread: Official: Discount Coupon for Philmug Members.

If your budget is enough only for a second hand one, it's best that you:
    • buy one that's covered by AppleCare (i.e. Apple's 2-year extended warranty on top of the standard 1-year warranty that comes with a Mac); or
    • buy one that's less than a year old so that it's still eligible for AppleCare.
    Finally, I'd recommend that you consider buying one with at least 256GB SSD, as you might find 128GB insufficient if you plan to store photos and videos in you Mac. A rMBP with 256GB SSD will cost you an extra Php 9,000. Friends I know who bought the 128GB model regret having done so, more so that they can't upgrade it anymore (unless you buy a replacement SSD made by OWC, which does not function the same way as the SSD that originally comes from Apple).

Hope this helps. ;)

#2 Qin Zhi, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  3. Qin Zhi

Just to add, rumor has it that Apple will be launching a new MacBook Pro, MacBook--and possibly a MacBook Air on June 5. You may refer to this MacRumors article for more details: Apple to Announce New MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Possibly MacBook Air at WWDC.

Thus, if you plan to buy brand new, you might want to consider holding-off until June 5 (Apple's WWDC event) and see if Apple will refresh its rMBP line, as in doing so you'd end up getting more value for your money as you'd get higher specs for (more or less) the same price. If that rumor turns out to be true, note that it does not always follow that stocks of the refreshed rMBPs will be immediately available on the date of announcement--and even so, it might take some time before they're actually available in the Philippines.

In any case, if the rMBP is indeed refreshed on June 5, there's a chance that Apple dealers might sell their old stocks at a good discount (although stocks might be limited as expect that they will quickly sell like hotcakes).

To sum up, if the rumor turns out to be true, after WWDC you'd end up with two options:
    • buy directly from Apple or an authorized dealer an rMBP with refreshed specs; or
    • buy from an authorized dealer an old stock of the current rMBP model at a discounted price (subject to availability of stocks, of course).

#3 Qin Zhi, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    wulf, hellomek and Sunil_K like this.
  4. hellomek

hellomek New Member

Wow. These are very helpful. I was planning to buy one tomorrow but I guess it would be best to hold off. Thank you, I appreciate it.

5. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

I was also once searching for the mid-2015 version, specifically the 15-inch model, and I almost ended up purchasing a set sold via Carousell here in Singapore but it came to my senses that my best bet was to purchase it from the Apple Store online. Though certified refurbished, I can't go wrong getting an item with at least a year of warranty. The set was so elusive, I have to revisit the Refurbished Mac list online like almost every hour for the past few months until the waiting paid off almost 3 weeks ago. I saw the page finally populated by the model that I've been looking for and I didn't waste time purchasing it and got it 2 days at my doorsteps.

While I'm a bit skeptical about the upcoming models yet to be announced at the WWDC soon, thinking that Apple wouldn't give up the magical touchbar and USB-C ports that don't really help much possibly with our existing devices and workflows, I highly suggest to check out the refurbished list. Revisiting the page, I can see one model that might fit your needs. The only thing I'm not so sure is about how to have it delivered from SIN to MNL. Perhaps a short trip to SG would be great. Tourists are entitled to 7% tax refund (around S$109 [PHP3.9K] if you're getting the item @ S$1558.00) but quite unsure if the refund could fetch the evasive Piso airfare.

Happy hunting :)

https://www.apple.com/sg/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

hellomek likes this.
  6. hellomek

hellomek New Member

Congratulations on your purchase! I find this quite tempting and it's actually making me want to bump my head on a wall for not deciding to buy one a month earlier while I was in SG, but alas, don't really have the time for that now. Looking to purchase one through BTB instead, hopefully when the discount coupon mix-up get figured out. Thanks for the advice, though!

imart likes this.
  7. hellomek

hellomek New Member

MacBook Pro price drop! :LOL:

Attached Files:

8. cruzargel

cruzargel Member

It actually increased for the 256GB.

shootertwist likes this.
  9. hellomek

hellomek New Member

Analysis paralysis now...

2015 13" 128gb or 2016 13" 256gb. The price difference on BTB is a huge 12,000php :eek:

10. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

^^ price difference plus the amount to be paid for dongles should you decide to get the 2016 one. :):):)

hellomek likes this.
  11. Qin Zhi

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that they differ only in terms of disk space. That Php 12,000 difference in price marks a huge difference in terms of computing power and overall performance.

First, may I just say that even if their specs were totally identical except for the SSD size (which is not the case)--I'd still go for the one with 256GB SSD. 128GB is plainly too small already (even the new iPhones and iPads are available in 256GB). The 2015 13" SSD is practically non-user upgradeable (unless you replace it with OWC's 512GB compatible SSD, which is essentially a hack and does not function exactly the same as the original). So you're practically stuck with a 128GB SSD, which I deem too small if you plan to use your Mac for the next 3-4 years. I for one have used already about 200GB out of the 512GB SSD of my tbMBP. I'm sure many here would agree that 256GB should be the smallest SSD capacity that you should settle for if you plan to use it for 3-4 years.

Having said that, they differ not just in SSD size but also:

1. GPU power (see benchmark below):
    Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.10.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.11.52 AM.png

2. SSD read speed--where the 2016 has double the read speed of 2015's, which therefore results in faster boot-up, launching of applications and opening of large files (see benchmark below):
    Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.16.31 AM.png

3. Better display: the 2016's display is brighter and displays 25 percent more colors than the 2015's. The 2016 can really display colors that will NOT show-up on the screen of the 2015. If you want to test this, on a 2016 MBP, open this page which provides a comparison between normal and wide-gamut images. On a 2015 MBP, you would see no difference in the appearance of the right and left parts of the images displayed. But on a 2016 MBP, you'd clearly see details on the right side of the images (due to the extra colors) that don't appear on the left side. To give you an idea, this photo I took shows that there's a symbol/logo on the right side of the image that shows up on my 2016 MBP's screen, but on my my external display or my 2009 MBP's display, both sides appear the same way (plain red, like the left side). If you edit photos, this might be important to you.
    IMG_0916.JPG

4. 5K and 4K external display @60Hz: Finally, the 2016 13" MPB's two USB C ports on its left side (which double as Thunderbolt 3 ports) can support two 4K (4096x2304) displays or one 5K (5120x2880) display, whereas the 2015 13" rMBP's 2 Thunderbolt 2 ports can support only up to two 3840×2160 displays.

Note: you might want to check this in-depth review/comparison by Arstechnica (which is where I grabbed those benchmarks above):
    Review: Touch Bar MacBook Pros give an expensive glimpse at the Mac’s future

While, indeed, you would have to cough-out extra for dongles, the price of that is insignificant compared to the amount of the Mac and specially if you plan to use it anyway for quite some time. In fact, for the past 5+ month since I had my tbMBP, while I always bring a USB C to USB A adapter whenever I'm mobile--I've never had the chance to use it. Never. Why? There's the Internet--and also AirDrop. All this time I've used my dongles only at home mainly to connect my Mac to my Time Machine backup drives. I even have a USB C/USB A flash drive have likewise never used it--ever (also because there's the Internet and AirDrop). In any case, I'd rather buy and use dongles than use an Mac with only a 128GB SSD. As I've said in a separate post, I have friends and colleagues who have bought a MBP or MBA with only a 128GB SSD and they regret it (they use an SD card--which is obviously slow--just for extra storage).

My suggestion: If you truly dislike dongles, buy a 2015 MBP with 256GB SSD. If you can't find one, I'd still say it's better to go for a 2016 MBP as it has 256GB SSD (and the better overall specs, as mentioned above). Don't worry about dongles. Really, as you'd eventually realize, you won't use your dongle much while mobile nowadays--because of Internet, AirDrop and macOS's screen sharing, among other wireless alternatives. When you buy a 2016 MBP, just buy one dongle--a multiport adapter if you want to have USB A and connect it to an external display. If you don't need an external display, just get a plain vanilla USB C to USB A adapter. You'll be using these mostly at home. If you need additional dongles, buy them later, as needed.

Hope this helps. :)

#11 Qin Zhi, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  12. Cheezee

Cheezee New Member

Hello guys! I'm planning to buy the updated 13-in Macbook Pro w/o Touchbar (256GB, 2017 model).

I asked some guys from Beyond the Box and Powermac Center near me but they said they weren't sure when their stocks would be refreshed. Do you guys know how long local stocks are usually updated when there are new releases?

13. hellomek

hellomek New Member

Can't answer your question directly but perhaps you can try ordering from the Apple website; I considered that option when the new line was released and if I remember correctly, it should arrive in around 2 weeks. :)

14. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

^the stocks for new models are already out in select apple official resellers as early as last saturday