Not Attending School This Year due to Covid-19

Discussion in 'General OT' started by ice, Jun 12, 2020.

?

Skipping 2020-2021 school year?

1. My child/siblings WILL attend school

30 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. My child/siblings WILL NOT attend school

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. I know a friend/relative who will SKIP this year

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. isaak

isaak Active Member

Initially we were considering skipping school this year for my kids (incoming grade 7 and grade 12). My concern was that schools will be experimenting on online classes, and that learning might not be optimized. However I realized that it is ultimately better than doing nothing. So we're pushing with enrolment this year. My only beef is that my kids' school is charging almost the same tuition fees despite the online set-up.

Godfather likes this.
  2. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Schools are incredibly profitable businesses right now. They save on their monthly electric bills (which used to be at least 500k a month), and yet they still collect 100% of the tuition, and in our case plus a 5% increase.

My 5th grader and 9th grader can study online unsupervised because they're old enough, but surprisingly the most tedious for us is our youngest who is in Kinder. His assignments really make my wife and I feel like we're in school. So again, you're paying exorbitant tuition, and yet you do all the 90% of the work teaching too.

As my wife and I both work, we don't know how our youngest will do in August or September when school starts.

isaak, raypin and Juice like this.
  3. Nightskye

Nightskye Member

We are considering skipping the year for our son who is 6 years old. We tried an online tutorial with one of his former teacher just to test how he will respond to online classes. So far it is not going too well, he keeps telling us that he wants to study but doesn't want to do it online. Plus, my wife and I will probably need to go back to the office soon. For his age, I don't think it will affect his academic growth that much, the problem is how he will spend the time at home.

4. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

NO expert here, but you can get the textbooks used for Kindergarten and Grade 1 and get your son exposed to these books. There are workbooks and worksheets (downloadable) that you can get. Get some sort of a schedule that he can easily follow, just so he won't be disconnected from the routine of school.

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

just read this article this morning and remembered how difficult internet is outside the city.

my cousins (up north) who lives outside the city can only get cable internet which is not even stable enough for Facetime.

It's also been a constant complain by my daughter that her classmate's internet (in Manila) are not stable enough at night when they have to do group works.

AMERICA’S INTERNET WASN’T PREPARED FOR ONLINE SCHOOL | The Verge

6. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

We never entertained the idea of skipping school this year for our kids. Remote learning is, for the most part, still not ideal, but I think it's better than doing practically nothing. Anyway, they are stuck indoors.

Besides, we figured that skipping a year might demoralize our kids when they realize that most of their peers could end up being a year ahead of them.

7. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

It's not just the learning that they will miss, it's also the socialization and interaction with classmates that happens during schooldays. Hopefully their schools also provide online venues for the children to interact, both socially and academically (e.g., group work), especially since they are cooped up in their respective homes.

8. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

This pandemic might be a learning opportunity for kids to learn new computer skills. Thanks to online classes, my children learned and mastered new useful computer skills that they normally won't learn, or even if they learn, won't remember during face to face classes like Google suites, Zoom, email, etc. Normally most kids today won't touch those apps because they play with their tablets all-day. Sure they are great at Mobile Legends and Facebook but do not know how to create a survey form or a Google suites presentation. For me, stopping would not be such a wise decision despite classroom education not being 100%.

Looking at our current unfortunate situation it seems like we have another year like this. If you are waiting for a vaccine or for the virus to clear up, it will be a long wait, and your child will be left behind while their classmates advance to the next level.

Salaryman Ryan and shifty_md like this.
  9. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

Electric bills are lower but so is enrollment. I doubt private schools are profitable right now, I have friends who work as admins for certain big schools and they told me that their enrollment dropped a lot: 30 to 50% down. In fact, many of them had to lay off teachers and staff because of this and a few private schools had to close. Many parents have been hit hard economically by the pandemic and lost their jobs and their livelihoods so a lot of private schools students are now enrolling in public schools.

Even in normal times, DeptEd mandates that a minimum of 70% of tuition fees must go to teachers. (Can easily be Googled) Personally, I prefer my children's teachers to be well-paid for their difficult and thankless work. Many parents want cheap education but forget that teachers need to eat and take care of their families too.

#29 Seven Leaves, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    shifty_md, gaol and Salaryman Ryan like this.
  10. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

They want the money that would go to teacher's salaries to instead be used for their next conspicuous consumption trip abroad to be posted on social media.

Look at us! We're in Iceland!

11. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this but looking for an online physical activity class for kids this summer. My son is starting to gain weight during this pandemic. Maybe your kids or know someone enrolled in online classes like maybe PE or exercise stuff for kids? Thanks!

docjbr likes this.
  12. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

My kid is currently enrolled in Taekwondo - White Belt online class. He started 2 weeks ago, just as his online school ended.

It was referred to us by my so's colleague. 30-45 minute - twice a week session (forgot the total sessions). Limited slots only though.

bugs likes this.
  13. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks. How is it so far? Was thinking of online sports classes too, but not sure if it would be effective without instructors physically guiding them.

14. jlconferido

jlconferido Active Member

I use to do reading intervention to kids with reading difficulties. My best advice is make your kids read more. I have a cousin who lets his son glued to an iPad the whole day. While technology helps in education, it also has a lot of disadvantages especially on language skills. Reading on the other hand, builds language skills and it is an active mode of learning. If you see those ads on Facebook that says listening skills are better in terms of learning, it is simply not true because it is a passive mode.

Sunil_K, bugs, gaol and 1 other person like this.
  15. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

My sister's boxing instructor goes to her place to have her sessions 3X a week.

We can't do the same as condo management will not allow it.

Only issue is that you need to purchase all equipment.

Since, condo gym is closed... we decided to buy a cheap dumb/kettle/bar-bell set used by the family.

16. 31gna

31gna Active Member

my daughter's are enrolled in online street dance and volleyball classes - both have classes/levels depending on the age group. Check "Spike and Serve Volleyball Academy" in FB for the volleyball classes. PM me if you are interested in the dance classes, I'll share the instructor's number.
    I also ask them to do yoga - lots of them in youtube. Urban Ashram also does online yoga classes if you want paid classes.
    I saw from one of my friends their kids doing taekwondo online classes with Donnie Geisler.
    There's also jump rope online classes.

#36 31gna, May 7, 2021 at 11:33 AM
    Last edited: May 7, 2021 at 11:42 AM
    bugs likes this.
  17. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Hi My Daughter just started Online Taekwondo session yesterday so far so good got lucky 1 instructor = 2 Student. Not like her Capoeira Class gulo gulo sila i feel di na tutukuan masyado kids natin if sobra dami nila in 1 class.

bugs likes this.
  18. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Honestly I think it's great for a novice. 1:1 session and he's sweating like crazy.

I'm thinking that if he likes it, I'm gonna invest in it and see if can he progress more.

bugs likes this.
  19. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

To the fellow parents out there, how’s it going spending/paying hundreds of thousands so our kids won’t get held back? Lol

the audacity to ask us to pay so much then ask us to sign a document saying we will watch them while online.

The eff? Why am I paying you then? Lol

20. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

my youngest son’s school offer these activities:

B8D42308-C2E2-49B9-BF80-D86FF88D5F6B.jpeg

not sure how basketball works though (n)

bugs likes this.