No Service on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by quasar, Nov 25, 2009.

1. quasar

quasar Active Member

Sometime mid-morning yesterday, my iPhone suddenly displayed "No Service" instead of Globe's name. I wasn't immediately concerned, thinking this was a network issue. However, when the problem persisted well into the afternoon, and after finding out that other Globe subscribers weren't experiencing any network problems, I started to worry.

I already tried the following:

1. Shut down and restart.
    2. Eject and reinsert sim card.
    3. Reset network settings.
    4. Reset all settings.

Thinking there was a problem with the sim card, I borrowed an officemate's Globe sim card and put it in my iPhone. The iPhone did not recognize the sim card - it displayed "No sim". Worse, when my officemate reinsterted her sim card on her phone, the phone displayed a "insert sim" message. The sim was eventually recognized after she restarted her phone several times.

The only thing I haven't done is restore settings via iTunes because the internet connection in the hotel where I'm staying right now is crappy.

Any ideas in solving this problem?

Note: This is a locked/non-jailbroken iPhone with iPhone OS 3.1.2.

2. himuramaki

himuramaki Member

^ restoring it via iTunes might solve the problem.

3. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

I think this was a problem yesterday. Experienced it as well but during the night. When I woke up this morning, I had signal already.

4. jbf_777

jbf_777 Member

^i'm having 3G signal problem also just this morning arpund 10AM until now. i was suppossed to download an apps in AppsStore but my iPhone says i don't have internet connection. i called Globe pero wala daw sila network problem. so, i turned-off 3G setting sa iPhone ko to get Edge or GPRS signal. so, nagka-Edge signal ako and naka-download ako. then after ko mag-download, i tried resetting to 3G again. meron naman ako globe signal pero wala 3G signal and if i tried connecting to internet, sabi wala daw ako internet connection. nandito nga pala ako sa ayala avenue now. try ko sa bahay mamya hapon sa caloocan. update ko kayo bukas. :)

5. jbf_777

jbf_777 Member

try mo muna i-turn off ang 3G mo sa setting just to get signal other than 3G. tapos, mga bandang hapon or gabi, try mo ulit i-set sa 3G just to check kung meron ka na 3G signal. wag ka muna mag-restore ng firmware. i'm sure it has nothing to do with your firmware. :)

6. jbf_777

jbf_777 Member

update ko lang kayo mga bro/sis, i just turned-ON my 3G sa setting ko just now 12:35PM. everything went back to normal. meron na ulit ako 3G signal at nakaka-connect na ulit ako sa internet. baka nagka-problem lang ang globe network. thanks. :)

7. quasar

quasar Active Member

Things just went from bad to worse. I got home and attempted a restore via iTunes and got this message:

"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (2006)."

Update: I'm currently restoring the iPhone using the MBP. Keeping my fingers crossed.

#7 quasar, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  8. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

Put the iPhone into DFU mode by pressing Power and Home Button consecutively for 10 seconds and then wait for the screen to go black. Then remove your finger from the Power Button and keep holding on the Home Button until iTunes detects an iPhone in recovery mode. Then restore.

9. quasar

quasar Active Member

I was able to restore the iPhone, but it still has "No Service" on lieu of Globe.

10. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

does this have to do w/ the new sim they are distributing? i received a text re that, but i havent received my NEW SIM yet.

11. karlvirginboi

karlvirginboi Member

Been having that problem as well lately.
    I go to "settings" then "carrier" then click on "automatic"... you need a little patience though... might take several attempts before the signal comes back. it sucks.

12. Eriction

Eriction Member

I have a feeling this might be related to this. My old visibility line is encountering the same problem. Showing up as no signal. Even up to now. So my thinking is it could be connected to this though will have to verify with Globe directly.

13. kartman

kartman Member

i experience the same thing. ranted about it on facebook a few weeks ago and a friend from globe who saw it told me that it's a network problem that they've been having since typhoon ondoy.

a day doesn't go by that don't lose the signal on my phone.

14. ruff1025

ruff1025 Member

I had this problem before. Have you tried using your SIM on a different phone? sometime the iPhone destorys the older SIM cards.

I had my SIM since 2004. then when i upgraded to the iPhone, it broke the SIM card. I had to go to globe and replace it.

15. quasar

quasar Active Member

I went to Globe Megamall this evening, and the service rep who assisted me determined that the sim was broken. The new sim supplied by Globe was immediately recognized by my iPhone.

16. toughbrat

toughbrat Member

Oh no! I assume that's a postpaid sim. That becomes a concern. I'm planning to buy an iPhone but my line is prepaid. What if my sim gets broken by iPhone? As far as I know, Globe won't give you a new sim with the same number. Unlike Smart where you can purchase a new sim with the original number. :eek: Shucks....

17. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

just got my first replacement sim from globe... waiting for 7 more sims.

im thinking of not using any of it.

18. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

toughbrat: Perhaps you could confirm that? When I had my SIM (prepaid) upgraded many years back, they migrated everything (contacts, messages and even the cell number) to the new one :)

19. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Globe replaces the old sim that has been broken even if it's prepaid. You just need to bring the broken sim to them.

20. Zag

Zag New Member

Experienced this too last week. What I did was transfer my sim to an old phone and got full signal but as I replaced it in my iPhone 3GS, had "No Service." This went on for an entire day while I was right smack in the middle of the Ortigas Business District. I then turned off the "Enable 3G" in the settings and got full signal strength. Two days after, I tried to activate 3G on the same spot and got a good signal. Since then, 3G coverage has been back to normal on that spot. Must've been a system problem and not a SIM problem.