No Proof of Purchase, Grey Market Shopping Lesson Learned(?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by agentsmiththeone, Sep 15, 2015.

1. agentsmiththeone

agentsmiththeone New Member

Less than a year ago, I bought my rMBP (MGX892) online from tipidpc which went very well. The seller was very accomodating and kind. The reason I opt to buy from him is because of the good feedbacks in his profile and because it was 10k cheaper (Yep, I know. Typical cheapskate pinoy). Since my old one is dying I needed one for work, I needed it fast. Fast forward, three months ago, because of personal reasons, I had to set a firmware password on my device and because of my forgetfulness and how random the password I set was, I forgot it after a month. Now, I need to have it reset in a service center but I have no proof of purchase. I've texted the seller and got no response. I'll try again tomorrow, hopefully he will continue to be a good guy as his feedbacks suggest. Even though I doubt he would be able to provide me a proof of purchase seeing that he only sells his products on tipidpc, olx and Facebook and only do deals via meetups. My device is still under warranty, I also plan to buy an Apple Care for it before the limited one expires. Any advice on how I should go on about this dillemma? Any response would help alot! Thanks!

P.S. I don't want to link the Facebook page or drop the username of the seller since I know he's somehow honest about what he sells and is trying to make a living like most of us. I just sure hope he responds.
    P.P.S. And sir, if you're reading this, I really need your help. Apple's Fimrware Security is not foolproof but I'm neither a hacker nor willing to cause more damage by resetting the firmware via unofficial methods. (Nope, the RAM swap and PRAM/NVRAM reset doesn't work on new models but there are still ways). And if you're someone from an Authorized Service Center. I could show you proof that I did buy it from him with the messages we have on tipidpc.

EDIT: Grammar and typos.

#1 agentsmiththeone, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

The system is there to protect other Mac users from thieves.

I hope you're able to show the proof of purchase so your problem can be resolved. Good luck.

3. agentsmiththeone

agentsmiththeone New Member

Thanks Hero33. I'm well aware of that. Hopefully, he will respond.

4. tomangelo

tomangelo Active Member

First thought when I was reading the title was maybe no proof of receipt when claiming the warranty but I guess this is different issue. I mentioned this because I just recently bought rMBP 2015 from a tipidpc seller also which I saw the posting on OLX. (I just verified the seller via tipidpc based on feedbacks)

Though it's my first time too see someone locking the firmware on their macs, because I don't really practice this.

I hope you can resolve your issue, it's hard to find some hack especially if it's firmware related.

You could pm me the seller's name, maybe we are dealing with the same one. :)

AgentSmith likes this.