No IP Address for Airport?!?

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by enuhski, Sep 14, 2009.

1. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

Hi guys,

I've been trying to connect to a Wifi network. My boyfriend's laptop and my iPod touch can access the wifi here. The network is password protected; I correctly put in the password and the signal is on fine but I can't connect to the Internet.

I checked network preferences and it says "AirPort does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet"

I repaired permissions and tried again.

I used my SBW on my boyfriend's laptop and turned on internet sharing. (Usually this works) For the first time, my macbook couldn't find the signal.

I've restarted my laptop twice already, still no internet.

This is the first time I've encountered this problem. Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you so much!

2. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@enuhski: To confirm, your BF's laptop and your iPod touch can connect to the WiFi router AND the internet? I usually only get that notice if a router is broadcasting but the connection (modem) is cut . If that's the case, no one else can get the internet.

3. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

yes to both :( in fact, i almost posted my query on philmug here using my iPod touch pero napagod ako :p

after fiddling around, i was at least able to use the SBW signal from my boyfriend's computer for wifi. however, i just noticed that after shutdown and restart, my computer now automatically looks for wifi unlike before where i still had to turn it on.

as for the actual router which i am trying to access here, i still get the message "No IP address can be found..."

btw i'm running on SL.

4. cubee

cubee Member

that happened to me too before so what i did was i placed the IP address that starts with 192.168.1....

5. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

shouldn't the IP address be 10.0.1.1 rather than 192.168...?

as 10.0.1.1 allows many computers to connect to the modem (hence, 192.168... is retained at the modem level (Sun/Smart/Globe) while the 10.0.1.1 is at the router/airport level)

6. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

how do you add/make/enable the IP address?

thanks in advance!

7. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

If your mac has been configured for ethernet connection like pppoe, delete those entries and bring it back to default settings. OS X has bug where unused ethernet messes up wifi ip distribution. The same can be happening with other network devices that you may have configured. Bring everything back to OEM settings and you should be ok.

One way to go to default is to create a new location in Preferences>Network. Then choose that location. Then choose your wifi access point from the wifi icon drop down list.

8. alvinrayyu

alvinrayyu Active Member

any updates?

I'm having the same problem as well.

9. alvinrayyu

alvinrayyu Active Member

Hi Sir,

where can I find this? Preferences>Network ?

Is this under the System Preferences?

thanks

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

System Preferences>Network. Then click on Ethernet on the left. See what values you have in there. There shouldn't be PPPOE in there. The values should default. This will show "Using DHCP" only. rest should be blank.

11. pinoydl

pinoydl Member

1.  > System Preferences > Network > Airport > [Turn Aiport Off] > Advanced > Under Airport > Preferred Networks, remove the network name you are trying to join. Click OK > Apply
    2. Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > Open Keychain Access > Look for the password of the network you are joining then delete it. Close all apps and reboot your Mac
    3.  > System Preferences > Network > Location > Click on the existing location > Choose Edit Locations… > Click the + sign, you'll have Untitled > click Done > Apply
    4. Rejoin the same network.
    Hope this helps.

12. alvinrayyu

alvinrayyu Active Member

no PPPOE value sir

but I still can't connect to a wifi network using airport

airport can't detect and IP address but it's turned on

airport can detect a lot of wifi networks but can't detect an IP address to any of the networks available

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Create a new Location in System Preferences>Network. Then use that location. Use the Mac on a known good wifi hotspot. Verify that it is possible to connect to the internet by using another device.

14. alvinrayyu

alvinrayyu Active Member

Thanks a lot! It worked!

Thanks to both PinoyDL and Mad Mac

15. chinggoy

chinggoy Member

Had the same problem. Try Renew DHCP Lease.

Network>Airport>Advanced>TCP/IP>Renew DHCP Lease

Hope that helps.

16. alvinrayyu

alvinrayyu Active Member

thanks Sir

tried renewing DHCP lease but it didn't work

solved problem utilizing PinoyDL's steps/instructions

17. funkylizard

funkylizard New Member

Pinoydl, you are the man! I've been having this same problem, and I stumbled upon this thread. I followed your instructions, and it worked! Thanks so much. God Bless :cool:

18. trasherk

trasherk Member

the self-assigned IP address thing? this happened to me last week. I was using the ad-hoc network to connect the keynote remote app of my iPad to my MBP, then I when I tried to get back to my internet network after I was finished, this same thing happened to me. Fortunately, It is back now. I deleted the SystemConfiguration folder under /Library/Preferences (not under ~user~/library/preferences) and airport item, and then restarted. I also turned on and off my router for troubleshooting. After doing those things over and over, and countless tinkering, It went back to working condition. :D

19. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Yup. these methods primarily erase remembered network connections that may have been corrupted are put in a state of conflict. We just need to choose our poison.