No empty trash button

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by tattsdelcarmen, Jan 30, 2010.

1. I just made an update to my macbook to snow leopard.. after my update i noticed that there was no empty trash button..all i can see is the secure trash button..

any tips? on how to fix this...

#1 tattsdelcarmen, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
  2. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

click finder (upper part, left side)>preferences>advanced and uncheck empty trash securely

hope this helps

3. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

there's totally no trash button or it's just disabled? can you try hitting command+shift+delete?

4. primo1

primo1 Member

or +shift+delete.

5. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

You can also right click the trash icon then choose empty trash or ⌘command+option+shift+delete for instant empty trash without confirmation.

6. maxx

maxx Member

I tried this, it pops up a window giving you only two choices: Secure Empty Trash or Cancel.

Is there really no way to Empty Trash quickly? Secure Empty Trash is such a pain and it takes so long. If I'm running out of disk space and want to dump some of my old files quickly, how can I do it? TIA.

7. Nino

Nino Loading...
    Staff Member PhilMUG Admin

Go to the Finder preferences, under the Advanced tab, uncheck the Empty Trash securely option ;)

[​IMG]

8. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

have you tried to uncheck empty trash securely?

9. maxx

maxx Member

That did it. Thanks Nino and Bhoyetjumpay.

How about deleting a single file from Trash? Let's say I want to delete one or two movies from Trash in order to free up space in my Harddisk, is there a way to do it? once again TIA.

10. Nino

Nino Loading...
    Staff Member PhilMUG Admin

Quick answer is No. However if you are comfortable tinkering with Terminal codes then technically, yes you can but I don't recommend doing that unless you know what you are doing.

Mac OS X Trash is not your typical Windoze Recycle Bin, its straight to the point Trash is trash. If you don't want to throw any files out, archive it somewhere (create a folder) if you are not sure what to do with it and dispose of it later if its really trash.

Think Different ;)

11. sybcruz

sybcruz Member

do you guys empty your trash securely or just empty it? just wandering

12. Ikon

Ikon Member

just empty, empty securely takes longer. maybe if your using a mac in the office, you empty trash securely so nobody could recover it, if it's a confidential file.