No Adobe Universal Apps until 2007!!!!

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by LeoCastillo, Feb 4, 2006.

1. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

2. mgd

mgd Member

Leo, that just means you should just get a G4 Mac. :)

3. Slacker

Slacker Member

If your reason for buying an Mactel is to tap the speed of the new Core Duos, the current Power Mac G5s are dual core chips. PowerPCs are about to be replaced not because they're slow. If your worried about future apps not supporting PPC, it's logical to think that Apple will make their Apps universal for years to come considering that there are millions of PPC Macs used by pros out there. A sizable market they're not about to abandon just to promote their new machines. So buying a G5 is still a good investment. But if you work using a laptop, that's a different story.

4. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

maybe this is apple's cue to whip out that dreaded "photoshop killer" that we've been hearing about for years (not aperture, please).

5. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

This is adobe's official statement. while it has no mention of 2007 it does leave out freehand from the list of apps they will update. so i guess its official...

6. J

J Member

Rest in P..PC freehand. I wonder how the MacBook Pro will fare in this development.

I guess getting my new pb was a good move hehe :grin:

7. elbert

elbert Active Member

Here's a great explanation as to why Adobe cannot immediately release a Universal binary of CS2. It comes from Scott Byer's Blog, part of the Adobe Blogs. Byer is an Adobe engineer and gives his own perspective, from an engineering standpoint, of course.

My thanks to TUAW for the heads up.

8. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

Curious, all this hulabaloo about Adobe apps not universal till next year. I mean, exactly by how much would the speed increase be compared to running on Rosetta?

I haven't looked at the benchmarks, but I don't think its worth the wait. I don't think the speed increase will be more than 50%. A negligble speed bump IMHO.

Lets be real, the current version of Adobe apps running on say an Intel iMac G5 on Rosetta can get you through almost anything, handle most jobs without a problem right?

Anybody using PS CS2 for heavy duty work on an Intel iMac? Compared to a G5 tower with PS CS2 running native, is there a significant difference? I'm guessing not much. Anyone?

In my opinion, the speed bump for Adobe apps will be negligible in most cases. For mere mortals who do even the heaviest of photo editing, there's no reason not to get one. Adobe universal is not worth the wait in my opinion. But of course if you can afford to wait till next year, prices can only go down.

For those MacIntel PS CS2 users out there, what's your opinion. Is it fast enough to meet your needs? Or are you really looking forward to universal? I'd like to see a concensus

#8 Kenneth, Mar 24, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  9. super_ed

super_ed Active Member

6821 Ayala Avenue, cor Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue
    This is what I've observed so far. I've tried working on a CS2 on an Intel iMac, on an iBook G4 and CS 2 on G5. I've noticed Intel iMac have lots of processing time/ logs (this is irritating to CS2 users) compared to a G5 and an iBook. My iBook for an intance slows down whenever I use Adobe Bridge - an indespensable apps in CS2. I can't really tell in terms of speed, which one is more powerful.. since some factors besides document file size can affect a Photoshop performance.

#9 super_ed, Mar 24, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006