Nicotine or soulseek: show of hands

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by caloysam, Apr 18, 2004.

1. caloysam

caloysam Guest

Like the topic says... anyone?

2. peter_ob

peter_ob Active Member

For Those of you who are wondering. This is Nicotine
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14737
    and Soulseek
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11672
    I presume.

[Edited on 4-18-2004 by peter_ob]

3. elbert

elbert Active Member

I could never get Soulseek to work. Will try Nicotine now.

For those who don't understand what this is all about, Soulseek is a file sharing (P2P) network. The network is frequented mostly by DJ's (top-ranked DJ's from all over the world use it), so it's different from any of the P2P platforms that most are familiar with.

4. caloysam

caloysam Guest

tried installing the soulseek program and it really suck$! if only it were as simple as the windows pc install... sigh. anyway, i'll try the nicotine too. thanks for the link peter_ob. just to add to what elbertc said... users running soulseek mostly have rare music files that are impossible to get off the regular kazaa... so it can be very useful to you if you listen to non-mainstream music or it can be useless to you if you prefer the opposite.

5. caloysam

caloysam Guest

geez.. this install is taking sooo long. :S it's been running for 2 hours now. i really hope it works. does anyone have nicotine installed in their macs?

6. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Got it earlier when I read this thread. Nicotine I mean. Bigger than I expected - 15++ mb.

Took me about three minutes to install. Saw that it needed X11 so I installed that too. Ran it and ...nada.

How does one use this?

7. caloysam

caloysam Guest

http://captnswing.net/howto/nicotine/

i'm using this tutorial as a guide. check it out and see if it helps. the process is extremely long. i'm on hour three. hope it works our well... otherwise, i'll just have to keep stgicking it out with my windows desktop and just keep transferring the files.

8. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Yikes. Hirap!

Don't have time for this. caloysam, we will greatly benefit from your experience, so keep us updated.

Meanwhile, back to the tried and tested...

9. caloysam

caloysam Guest

Finally got nicotine working! ...

after FIVE LONG HOURS. it's finally up. whew! actually, it took a long time because the system performed so many long scripts by itself aside from downloading portion of the required programs.

i would say that don't get nicotine if you don't have the serious need for it unlike me. stick to the tried and tested (as Adel put it). it takes extremely long.

if you decide to get the program, don't be fooled by the complicated instructions and scripts. they look confusing but it just boils down to following the step by step instructions. if you ask me, i worked on getting the program up in less than 20 minutes. it's really the system perfomances and download time that will kill you.

on a positive note: despite the five hours put into making this product available for my mac, it feels great knowing that it's running and not showing any errors... so far.

anyway, i hope this thread helps. if you get a high from hearing tunes that don't play on the radio and aren't available in record bars, four to five hours ain't bad. it'll be well worth it.

10. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

I managed to install Nicotine 1.07 without all those lengthy fink download, compilation. Got Nicotine program up and running. How do I connect to the file servers?

11. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi caloysam, I'm with alfiesy on this one. I don't know why I bypassed all the hours-long compiling and everything that you underwent. Maybe you got an old version of Nicotine?

The one I got was an OS-X packaged installer, Version 1.0.7. Installed in about three minutes, then I was stumped as to what to do next, so I shut it down and left it alone. Had to leave for a while. Just got back and began tinkering with it in earnest, and I managed to get it running in a minute or two, after filling in some of the settings. Have successfully searched and am downloading now.

I'm just wondering why you have to undergo the compiling thing and why its taken you hours to get it installed. What was the version you got, and what build of OS X are you using?

12. spearminthead

spearminthead Member

i use nicotine too. i had an easier time installing when i followed this guy's guide (see url below). i tried the other guide that caloysam pointed to but i found that this one made life much easier. good luck!

http://www.skydebanen.net/~raff67/

13. caloysam

caloysam Guest

i tried that link you and alfiesy used and I encountered the same problem. then i used the long five hour install and it worked. don't know the logic behind it but its the process that got the program up and functioning.

anyone can exaplain this? i don't know why the quick does what it does... i'm stumped on this one.

adel, the version i have is 1.0.7 so we have the same version.

14. caloysam

caloysam Guest

ok. now i know why i wasn't able to get the quick install version up. i forgot to fill in the server information. it's fine now.

i feel %$#!ed performing such a long install. :S well, at least the people on this board know thte quick way. peeps, use the link provided by spearminthead and don't forget to update the server information.

looking at it in a different perspective, at least the five hour version was one adventure that got me to deviate from my usual stay in bed - veg out infront of the television sunday ;)

15. caloysam

caloysam Guest

don't worry if you can't connect. it might not be an install problem but a server issue. this link is useful to check if the server of nicotine is up.

http://www.remmelt.com/slskboard/status.php

16. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

the server is up and running but am nicotine\'s still offline.

I checked with the above link and the server is up and running. Ran Nicotine 1.0.7 and then... nothing. It's still offline. For settings, I used the default server. What username and password do I use? Is there anyway to apply for a username?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Alfie

17. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

Don't know what these settings mean but here are the default settings that came with Nicotine upon start up:

server: slsknet.org:2240
    login: <blank>
    password: <blank>

I try to connect to server under the FILE - CONNECT on the menu bar but can't seem to click that option.

18. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Alfie, just create any user name and password. If there is an existing one or other, it'll give an error message, so just keep trying new ones. Once you hit on unused ones, the system will let you in and allow you to search and download.

19. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

Thanks Adel,

Found that out just now. Trying out soulseek.

Alfie

20. caloysam

caloysam Guest

i wish they'd improve the appearance and user interface of nicotine. :dry: