Newbie questions

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by annexceptionalva, Sep 15, 2016.

1. annexceptionalva

annexceptionalva New Member

Hello. I plan to buy a Macbook Air 13inch this month. It's my first time to buy an Apple laptop at excited ako.

I am getting as much information as I can before I buy. So I would appreciate getting your expert answers on this:

1. Talaga bang hindi nagkaka-virus ang Mac (Pro, Air, Mini, iMac)? How come I see some sites offering antivirus for Macs?
    2. Once you buy a Mac (any), do I need to buy an SSD for it?

Thank you!

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.....threat is there no matter what your OS is. However, with timely updates and sensible, best practice in place, virus infection, identity theft, malware and ransomware threats are minimized. Example: install apps and software that are sourced from reputable software vendors. Limit physical access to your machine. Do not click on URL links contained in emails, even if it appears to be from Apple. Always use or access https (encrypted link) websites. Never access your accounts using public wifi. Use strong passwords. Enable two-factor authentication. Do not torrent. If unavoidable, buy a cheap tablet for that sole purpose.

Apple computers are relatively safe. Re: SSD or flash storage is highly recommended. Re: current MacBook Air, flash storage is your only option.

3. annexceptionalva

annexceptionalva New Member

Thank you, Raypin!

raypin likes this.
  4. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

1. Not one OS is safe but i think most people use pc and most of those who will write a virus will naturally target the larger market bit doesnt mean they will neglect the smaller one.

2. No need for ssd if you ask me. But if you make/edit videos, it is recommended that you get the macbook pros at least.

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

1. No PC or Mac is safe as long as Putin's cyber warriors are doing their job. On hindsight they may as well buy virus software from Kim Jung Un.

2. The SSD is the new status symbol among new laptops right now so you're basically on the right track. Real hard disks nowadays are as rare as the 80's Sharon Cuneta vinyl LP.

Welcome Ann to the hard-driven life of a Mac user. At least they live longer than PC advocates.

caffelatte, Sunil_K and Qin Zhi like this.