Newbie Questions about upgrading to Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by chipmunk, Aug 25, 2009.

1. mystavros

mystavros Member

2. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

^^^ Actually my concern is transferring my 1Password keychain from a CCC backup to a clean install (Erase & Install) of Snow Leopard, But thanks for the link anyway...

3. hotSHOT

hotSHOT Member

a couple of questions from a future SL upgrader:

1) will iLife '06 work on Snow Leopard? has anyone tried it?

2) if i want to do a fresh install of SL and do these steps:
    a) backup existing system (Leopard) via Time Machine.
    b) do a fresh install of SL (erase and install).
    c) restore from TM.

***will these steps make sense if i want a fresh install? or will restoring from TM just overwrite my SL and return it back to Leopard?

TIA! :)

#83 hotSHOT, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

fcdiesta, I can understand your concern with a fresh installation. A clone is just like another Mac so Migration Assistant should treat it the same way. But between Migration Assistant and Time Machine, I prefer Time Machine. But really, the most convenient way is to upgrade. I've installed SL on two MacBooks of different specs and the results are good. No major issues . I just had a few system hacks that wouldn't work and Photoshop CS needing Rosetta. That's understandable.

Hotshot, there is no erase and install option in SL installer cd. It is upgrade by default. You must boot up from the SL cd and use Utilities to format your Mac's hard disk. Then proceed to install.

For your piece of mind, you can use SuperDuper to clone your Mac to an external partition. Then backup with Time Machine to another. Then upgrade your Mac. If our don't like the results, do a clean installation and restore from Time Machine. If you don't like it, reinstall and restore manually from your cloned copy and app installers.

#84 Mad Mac, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. oliverlim1078

oliverlim1078 Member

To those who have installed Snow Leopard, CONGRATULATIONS!

I have some questions, especially to those who installed SL via Erase and Install. I understand that all the data in your HDD, including iLife'08, etc. will be erased.

Once you install SL, how did you install iLife? My question is especially those who got iLife 08 or '09 via the restore disks that came with the computer.

I've tried searching various sites online and I haven't seen any DEFINITIVE answer to this question.

I think someone has asked this same question earlier and his/her question was not answered.

So maybe those who have actually done the install can share with all the PhilMUGgers their experience?

Thanks in advance!

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

The iLife discs are separate from the Leopard disc are they not?

7. hotSHOT

hotSHOT Member

anybody here on iLife 06 and upgraded to SL? is it working? :(

8. johnterry

johnterry New Member

Hi! if I clean install Snow leopard , what will happen to my time machine back up?

9. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Nothing will happen to it until you decide to restore it in Snow Leopard or in Leopard (if you decide to roll back). Once restored in Snow Leopard, compatible apps should work fine, old apps may use Rosetta to work, some apps and hacks may not work at all.

10. macjerk

macjerk Member

I will do a clean install tonight and see if there is a difference between my now "upgrade only" Snow leopard. The upgrade installation was so fast and easy, it became boring. I just hate it when Apple makes things easier. :)

11. haxer8

haxer8 Member

Please let us know macjerk . I'm also planning on doing the clean install. :rolleyes:

12. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

btw, reminder guys, please check your existing programs that you installed as add-ons (e.g. deep freeze, desktopple, etc.) meant to improve the mac's performance but can potentially affect the upgrade/installation process.

i didn't upgrade mine personally, but i was informed that certain programs that sort of enhance system programs might interfere with the process and cause kernel panics. if that happens, make sure you disable or uninstall potentially problematic programs.

just sharing the important info passed on to me :)

13. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

lolz, Step 1: Insert the Disc then you just need to click a button twice! Step 2: Wait..and wait.. Step 3: Done! ;)

14. mk

mk Member

question what are the limitations of my mac when I install snow leopard are there any functions I cant use?

15. mystavros

mystavros Member

only problem I can think of right now is software compatibility, it should retain all working features and even enhance it.

16. mathman

mathman Member

question guys. is it really better to do a clean install? would the performance be different if i just simply upgrade the os and not do a clean install? is it possible for me to say just upgrade it now and maybe later on do a clean install? thanks

17. macjerk

macjerk Member

My "clean install" UPDATE.

It took me only 18mins to erase and install the fresh copy of Snow Leopard on my 4GB RAM, 250GB HD Macbook.

What took it so long was installing all my applications such as Final Cut Pro, Adobe apps, MS Office, iWork, iLife etc. And, i am still doing the Software update since i didn't save the updates last time (slaps forehead).

Question:
    Is there a difference between the clean install and upgrade only?

Answer:
    Personally, YES! there is! 10% faster i guess?. If you are re-installing Adobe CS4 you should install ROSETTA from the optional installs from the SL DVD first. The process maybe too cumbersome for some of us but at least i know there are no bad or conflicting remnants from the past OS. The only problem i had encountered so far was the Applescript error on VisualHub.

#97 macjerk, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  18. macjerk

macjerk Member

I think its better for you to do the clean install. Just make sure to backup all your files first.

19. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

10% faster? clean install or upgrade only?
    and why do you prefer the clean install?
    last, is your macbook the unibody model?

20. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

how do i boot from the cd to do a clean install? :) i just upgraded now but i prefer doing a clean install too since i have too many files in my mac already... do all photoshop cs need rosetta?? i didn't install that in my SL upgrade.