Newbie Questions about upgrading to Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by chipmunk, Aug 25, 2009.

1. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

1. How much will it be for Leopard users?

2. How can i install it to my macbook? just like reformatting? will it erase my files?

3. can i install it to another macbook?

salamat po.:)

2. kalirayacs

kalirayacs Active Member

Re: 3 Newbie Questions about upgrading to Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

another question....

how many user can use the family pack ?

makikisawsaw na po ako sa post nyo

3. elbert

elbert Active Member

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/2061/L_faq.htm

Ooops, wrong FAQ.

1. $29, or P1,690 from http://store.apple.com/ph

2. If it's like Leopard, you'll have the option to Upgrade or Archive and Install. In both options, only the System and Library Folders are modified or rewritten, along with updated Apple apps in the Applications Folder. Your User folder, which contains your Home folders, which contain your data (pictures, documents, movies, emails, addressbooks, etc), are not touched.

3. Yes you can, but that goes against the honesty system. Apple trusts that you'll do the right thing and purchase the Family Pack if you intend to upgrade more than one computer. You should anyway, especially now that it's priced so cheaply.

#3 elbert, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  4. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

Deleted my reply.. Elbert beat me to it and I have the same answer as him.

5. elbert

elbert Active Member

It's for 5 users in a single household.

6. edpinedajr

edpinedajr Member

How much sir for the family pack??

7. elbert

elbert Active Member

You're lucky I'm masipag today (but that doesn't excuse any of you from being tamad in searching).

the Family Pack is $49 in the US, and P2,790 in http://store.apple.com/ph

Anticipating the next question, there is also the Box Set available, which contains the full version of Snow Leopard (not upgrade), iWork '09 and iLife '09. Price is $169 in the US or P9.490 locally.

8. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

so if i purchase the $29 single user snow leopard (as I am on leopard now), it will be an upgrade, not a full disk installer? meaning i would need to be on 10.5 first then upgrade to 10.6 should I need to reformat?

9. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

OS Installation Options

Since everyone's getting psyched up about Snow Leopard, I'd like to ask which installation process you'd choose. And what would be the differences in each installation process.

10. elbert

elbert Active Member

That is correct. Should you have to erase the drive or start from scratch, the upgrade installer will have to detect a Leopard 10.5 installation in order to work.

I could be wrong, but that's the way it has always been with upgrade disks and up-to-date installers.

EDIT: the upgrade installer does not need to detect a previous leopard installation. This has been verified.

#10 elbert, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  11. elbert

elbert Active Member

Re: OS Installation Options

The Upgrade should be okay, but I normally like to use Archive and Install.

12. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

^ Thanks. Haven't upgraded an os for quite some time. Still not sure if I'd do a clean install on ours.

13. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Apparently, for Snow Leopard, options to "Erase and Install" and "Archive and Install" will no longer be available. It seems the installer does everything almost automatically including scanning for previous versions of Quicktime, etc.

I copied below the "alleged" new installation changes from http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ges_to_snow_leopard_installation_process.html

Since this comes from appleinsider, if anyone has more credible links (apple website) or has actual experience upgrading, please do verify these claims.

Although Rosetta and Quicktime 7 are both included on the Mac OS X 10.6 installation DVD, both are designated as optional installs by default. However, if Mac OS X 10.6 is being installed on a Mac that contains a registration key for Quicktime 7 Pro, the installer will install Quicktime 7 automatically.

Options to "Erase and Install" and "Archive and Install" are no longer present in the Mac OS X 10.6 installer. According to those familiar with the software, this was done for convenience, so that users do not accidentally erase and install their Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard partitions. However, "Erase and Install" remains available through Disk Utility, which is also included on the installation DVD.

If you need to reinstall 10.6, it automatically archives and installs for you.

A reinstallation will not affect your Mac OS X version number. In other words, reinstallation of Mac OS X 10.6 on a Mac that contains Mac OS X 10.6.1 (when it becomes available) will not overwrite any new components delivered by 10.6.1. So when the re-install is complete, you will still be running Mac OS X 10.6.1. This will save users considerable time.

There is no "Previous System" folder at the root level after reinstalling.

If a power outage occurs, installation will pick up from where it left off.

To prevent the Blue Screen error that plagued some users when upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5, a software compatibility check is included that has a list of known "bad" apps, and disables them. Those programs are moved to an "Incompatible Software" folder.

Unlike Mac OS X 10.5, you cannot install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on computers where the hard drive reports a S.M.A.R.T. failure.

Installation initially triggers a large chunk of data to be copied from the installation DVD to the user's primary hard drive. The bulk of the installation is then managed from the hard drive, speeding up the installation process considerably. After a successful installation, that large chunk of data is automatically removed.

14. d1scjock

d1scjock Member

I hope this applies here but my friend just got her MBP last Monday. Will she have to buy a Snow Leopard Installation disc or will she get it for free since she got it so close to the release date?

15. elbert

elbert Active Member

I guess we won't really know until Friday.

I was wondering about the installation procedures, especially since this version is supposedly half the size of Leopard. Rather than just update, the OS might be better off installed if the previous System folder was just replaced altogether.

Can't wait for Friday!

16. mk

mk Member

Just to ask din

Will I be able to install it on my Core Duo Macbook (not core 2 duo)?
    Where can I buy the upgrade version (without pre-ordering or buying from the apple store online)? Will I have no choice but to get the full installation? How much will that cost?

17. mindless

mindless Member

Will it be available in the local reseller stores by Friday or will shipping start only for online pre-orders on Friday?

Also, how many copies of the installer are there if you buy a Family Pack

18. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

^ Family Pack lets you install 5 times.

19. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

If you want to Erase and Install, you'll need to first open Disk Utility and erase your hard drive. Once that's done, the Snow Leopard installer will install a new system on the newly-initialized HD. It uses an Archive and Install by default and it deletes the previous system folder automatically. For a clean install, it just took 15 minutes on a 2.1GHz MacBook and a 2.26 MBP.

20. psymd1

psymd1 Active Member

If your Mac was purchased after JUNE 8, 2009 you can avail the Snow Leopard for $9.95 but this is done thru online purchase only, not in store. If your Mac was purchased before June 8, 2009, you can buy the Snow Leopard for $29.00 in any Apple store. HTH

#20 psymd1, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009