new MBP 15'' 2.4Ghz or MBP 2.66Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by icebox, Apr 16, 2009.

1. icebox

icebox New Member

im planning to buy my first notebook that satisfies me. macbook pro got my attention.

the problem is Ghz, MBP 2.4Ghz does go a huge difference compare to 2.66Ghz with

comes to speed?

need some advice... :)

thanks...!!!

2. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

it depends on how much of a power user you'll be. if you'll be editing video/raw photography you'll like to have as much computing power you need.

but if you're a normal user then it won't make much of a difference. just ask any other MBP (late 2007/2008) user and they'll tell you its plenty fast enough even for power user needs.

if the price difference isn't too much though just get the best computer you can afford. don't worry about accesories/software just yet, because you'll find a way to make more money for the new stuff once you get your new mac... lol

3. aeb

aeb New Member

We're on the same boat icebox. I'm also contemplating on which one to get. Might go with the 2.4 GHZ route since the performance boost looks small but the price is kinda huge, around 20k I guess..:)

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

10 to 15% difference in speed according to benchmarks from various sources such as Macworld or Barefeats.

The only (but big) advantage of the 2.66 is that it uses the updated motherboard model that accepts 8 Gigs of RAM while the 2.4 can only use 6 Gigs. (You can search for threads of user testimonials in places like Macrumors.com and the Apple discussion boards.)

I both have a 2.4 Macbook and a 2.66 Macbook Pro and the difference in speed is negligible.

#4 Salaryman Ryan, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  5. icebox

icebox New Member

thank you guys for the replies...

did you know how can i contact sir Charlie?

6. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Just PM him here. His philmug handle is also "Charlie."

7. icebox

icebox New Member

if I'll buy MBP 15" 2.4GHz it's possible that i can upgrade the processor to 2.66GHz or maybe 2.93GHz?
    like on RAM and HDD... LOL :-D

thanks....

#7 icebox, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  8. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope, there's no way to upgrade the processor on the notebooks.

9. icebox

icebox New Member

i see.. thank you for the info..

:-D

10. test8052

test8052 Member

If I we're you, go for 2.66. Just google out, it supports 8gb, compared to 2.4 / 2.5 it only supports 6gb of ram.

11. sunsetmac

sunsetmac New Member

if price is the issue.. go for the 2.4ghz.. but if you could work out the price diff .. i'd go for the 2.66. more ram included and capacity, bigger hd, more cpu power..