New MacBook Pros with 7200RPM HDDs getting a touch too noisy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by stevezone, Jul 12, 2009.

1. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

2. du1jec

du1jec Member

I have a new (Mid-2009) Macbook Pro 17 with a 3.06Ghz Processor, 4GB RAM and 500GB 7200 rpm drive. I do not have any problems with the noise. I can barely hear it. If I am in a very quiet room I can hear the drive if I listen carefully but in any normal setting I cannot hear it.

You can however feel the drive spinning. I find no problems with the 7200 rpm given the performance boost. If noise is such a great issue then the SSD option is available.

I think the reviewer may be trying to nitpick at minute details as the mid-2009 macbook pro range are really great laptops. It is sometimes felt by reviewers that they need to find some negative points no matter how small.

I upgraded from an early-2008 macbook pro 17 and am quite happy with the upgrade.

3. FrenzyBanana

FrenzyBanana Member

4. miggytanya

miggytanya Member

I think these are isolated cases of faulty drives... A minority of users have them while others do not. You can always have it replaced if ever you're lucky enough to have these faulty drives... :)

5. du1jec

du1jec Member

I think the solution to these issues is Applecare. There are bound to be issues that will crop up with defective units and I believe (from past experience with Apple and others) that Apple is the most responsive with service and warranty issues.

6. ArkiJan

ArkiJan Well-Known Member

my mbp 13" with a 500gb 7200rpm hdd had a whirring sound when i lifted it up to connect to my printer... the noise wouldn't stop until i shut the mbp down... the next time it happened i tapped the mbp and the sound went away... any thoughts on this?

7. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Probably its a structural issue on the mac itself. Its not the hard drive. I have the same capacity on my mini and can't hear pa naman. knock on wood.

8. aldrich_Chu

aldrich_Chu Member

will apple release another upgraded batch of MBPs this late 2009?

9. Venet

Venet Member

I doubt that, but maybe, just maybe, we'll see an upgraded models by the first quarter.

10. eixter

eixter Member

i have mid 2008 model of the MBP with a 7200rpm HDD. noise is normal and no problems.